ADVERTISEMENT

Rep. Miller-Meeks will depart Ottumwa to run for reelection in new 1st Congressional District

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
I find the bolded sentence laughable:

DAVENPORT — U.S. Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks will move from her home in Ottumwa to run in Iowa's 1st Congressional District, avoiding what likely would have become a competitive and expensive race against fellow incumbent, Democratic U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne.
The move will put Miller-Meeks, a Republican, into a newly redrawn 1st District to defend her seat in Congress. She announced her decision at a news conference at Dahl Old Car Home in Davenport on Wednesday morning. The district includes Johnson and Des Moines counties.
"The newly drawn 1st Congressional District encompasses the bulk of the 2nd Congressional District that I currently represent and it includes more than 80% of the constituents that I currently serve," Miller-Meeks said.
She said that, while Wapello County is not part of the new district, the counties that will make up the 1st Congressional District have been home to her.
Miller-Meeks said that, in light of the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic coupled with the change brought on by redistricting, her constituents deserve stability with an incumbent representative.

"I can offer that stability by running and representing the people I currently represent," she said.
This decision follows the state’s redistricting process, which shifted the boundaries of Miller-Meeks’ old district. The move ensures she would, if elected, represent a greater share of her old constituents than she would if she stayed in Ottumwa.

Who's lining up against Miller-Meeks: Two Democrats and a Republican​

Democrats Christina Bohannan of Iowa City and Joseph Kerner of Knoxville have announced campaigns in the 1st District, and a primary election is scheduled for June 7.
Bohannan, a state representative, reported raising $305,100 during the quarter that ended in October. She had $243,617 in cash on hand.
Kerner, who has been far less prominent, reported raising $3,272, with $3,072 in cash on hand.

"I welcome Rep. Miller-Meeks to the race in Iowa's new 1st Congressional District. While she's been weighing her political prospects, and voting against bipartisan infrastructure improvements for Iowa, I've been traveling throughout Iowa's 1st Congressional District meeting voters where they're at," Bohannan said in a statement.
Bohannan said she's been honored to hear from people about the issues that matter to them — including fixing roads and bridges, creating good-paying jobs, supporting small business, and improving education and health care.
"One thing is clear: southeastern Iowans want a Congressional representative who values truth, integrity, and will put delivering results for the people of Iowa above divisive partisan politics," she said.
Miller-Meeks, who has served one year of her first two-year term, reported raising $418,693, giving her nearly $1.5 million in cash on hand. She announced her intent to run for reelection at an event in September on the outskirts of Iowa City.
According to reporting from The Quad City Times, Kyle Kuehl, a businessman, veteran and political novice from Bettendorf, announced earlier this week he would also run as a Republican in the 1st District.

So, she is going to run in the 2nd district, but live in the 3rd? The story I saw yesterday said she is not moving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT