ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant’s in Ames

win4jj

HR All-American
Aug 17, 2011
I have successfully avoided Ames, Iowa since the 2005 Hawk/clone football game. Me and the family have basketball tournaments there this weekend. Any good dining suggestions?

Certain things are ok at Hickory Park and it is dirt cheap. Burgers and sandwiches are decent, but I would avoid some of the more tedious BBQ options like ribs and brisket. Those were horrible. If you are taking kids, they will love it and enjoy the ice cream selection.

I don't know anything about the new Jethros there, but in my experience the newer locations are not as good as some of the older ones/original.

The best bbq in town is Cornbread which is in the old downtown area. Their family style ordering is awesome as you can order by the 1/4 pound. I’d recommend all of their meats - pork shoulder, brisket, burnt ends, sausage (hot and mild), turkey, and ribs are so good. Sides are really good too depending on your preference.

There is a Jethro’s on Duff that has an arcade lay out so might be good for the kids to do that if you have an extended time between games to kill time. Their food is ok but if me, I always go to Cornbread for their menu, full bar with a nice craft beer selection.

I have successfully avoided Ames, Iowa since the 2005 Hawk/clone football game. Me and the family have basketball tournaments there this weekend. Any good dining suggestions?
A friend of mine also think Great Plains pizza is the end all be all. Their selling point is the “pizza bones” at the end of the slice you dip in honey. It was okay. Something different.

A friend of mine also think Great Plains pizza is the end all be all. Their selling point is the “pizza bones” at the end of the slice you dip in honey. It was okay. Something different.
Interesting. Pizza sounds good now.

Szechuan House on Lincoln Way. Surprised it only pulled 3.5 stars.

Very tasty. Not hot.

Reactions: win4jj

This is how I imagine most restaurants in Ames
black-angus-cows-grazing-in-open-pasture-timothy-hearsum.jpg

Reactions: ping72
You would think a school with a strong ag program would have some amazing farm to table restaurants and at least one really good steakhouse affiliated to some degree with getting food from the school

Anyone in Ames willing to do that? Seems like you should

Go to the North location of El Azteca. They have a shrimp and pineapple dish that is amazing. The North location is also by Brick City Grill which is a nice burger spot. There's a bunch of other stuff around that area. Can't remember the name of the little neighborhood area but if you map search El Azteca it'll bring up 2 locations. South is not as good. Go to the North one.

Reactions: win4jj
I managed to not talk politics at the bar. Drinks on the house!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT