ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatch = Perspective

Bruce played the whole game and made some plays......
Yeah, I meant Keagan Johnson. I associate them closely because they came in together. But, I think Johnson is our best receiver when healthy. We'll see if he can get healthy and how much rust he has to knock off.

We ran a screen Saturday. Spencer missed by 5 yards.
That's an exaggeration and one play call does not invalidate a 10-year trend of going away from screen passes to running backs.

We used to use it a lot more in the early 00s.

My memory is a little fuzzy but I was pretty sure we had a pretty good offensive line but no running backs. I may be wrong though. Regardless, you are right, Drew was an awesome player and I sure wish we had him or someone like him now. Simply speaking, I think when you have a statue at quarterback two things need to be true; 1. is that you can protect him, 2. he better be accurate. Think Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. Warner is a better example in my opinion because he was so accurate and a champion in St. Louis and went to the Super Bowl with Arizona because they could protect him, but looked awful in New York when they couldn't. Petras is not accurate and we couldn't protect him anyway if we could. Not a great scenario. Oh, also Drew could throw on the run and Petras can't. Oh, Drew always had his eyes downfield and Petras doesn't. There are those things too. But I digress.
That OL was pretty far from good. It was ok at best.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Can they be this dumb Evil? It boggles my mind to think so. I think it's arrogance at this point. Jmo
Maybe you're right, I just can't logically wrap my mind around it.

Iowa coaches know they have a better chance at winning with a 17-10 score than going for a 35-10 win.
Sounds weird, but I think I'm starting to see the strategy here.
Punt inside the 10 as often as possible. Let the other team make mistakes and capitalize on them with the D. Iowa starting with the ball at their 25? The goal is not to score! Sure, we'll take it if it happens. But that is not the goal. The goal is move the chains twice! That's it! Punt inside the 20, 10 at best.

What do you need for this type of strategy? Not a qb. That's for sure. Just someone who won't be tempted to take a risk and who can secure the ball. Might as well give that job to the great kid who won't take risks! And you need a great D and punter. Voila. That's Iowa.

Achieving the 13-10 win is more likely than going after the 35-10 win.
That's our personnel. That's what we got.

I know this isn't new. But I see it now.

Because Padilla was an immediate upgrade vs northwestern last year. Also, Padilla can utilize play action. Spencer can't manage a passing game from under center.
That's really not the big picture, though. Spencer was terrible to start the NW game because he suffered a serious injury the weak before. He was game to go but clearly couldn't throw the ball by even his low standards.

Alex did come in an immediately improve the position - in that game. However, Alex was bad against Minnesota, unplayable bad at Illinois and the half he played at Nebraska. Under .500, and in those games way under .500. @TDs and two interceptions, all season.

The "evasive" and "mobile" aspects were a myth. Alex did not have a single run longer than 6 yards all season. He wouldn't run when presented with a wide open field.

Petras wasn't good by any means, and isn't good but there is no real fact based reason to think Padilla was better than Petras. Of course, at this point I'd rather see Joe Labas playing on Saturday than either of Petras or Padilla but I'd settle for another experiment with Padilla rather than see Petras.

That doesn't fit the last four Iowa QB's recruiting profiles. Padilla, Hogan were supposed to be mobile. Labas, May and Lainz are all supposed to be running threats. This freak show at QB will end because the excuses or explanations are wearing thin.

It is absolutely Joe's time.

That's really not the big picture, though. Spencer was terrible to start the NW game because he suffered a serious injury the weak before. He was game to go but clearly couldn't throw the ball by even his low standards.

Alex did come in an immediately improve the position - in that game. However, Alex was bad against Minnesota, unplayable bad at Illinois and the half he played at Nebraska. Under .500, and in those games way under .500. @TDs and two interceptions, all season.

The "evasive" and "mobile" aspects were a myth. Alex did not have a single run longer than 6 yards all season. He wouldn't run when presented with a wide open field.

Petras wasn't good by any means, and isn't good but there is no real fact based reason to think Padilla was better than Petras. Of course, at this point I'd rather see Joe Labas playing on Saturday than either of Petras or Padilla but I'd settle for another experiment with Padilla rather than see Petras.
Yeah they are kind of in a pickle right now. Padilla's numbers were worse than Petras' last year. If the poor QB play continues, there will be no choice but to try other options. What those options might be, don't know.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Spot on. But our only hope w such a crappy oline is a more mobile QB to slip out of the pocket from time to time. This has to be known by this staff.
A mobile QB would also lessen the pressure teams dial up against our young OL as well.

Historically, the Iowa defensive line is notorious for playing contain against mobile QBs, keeping them in the pocket and forcing them to throw (to generate turnovers). This has burned us many times when said mobile QB then proceeds to make good decisions and is throwing very effective.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
The line played better as the game progressed. Spencer's play did not improve during the second half.
Yep. I really hope it’s a case of seeing live action from another defense that got the OL off to a slow start. We’ll see how they come out against the clowns.
petras however does not get any pass! Even in the rare situations he had time he still missed badly ON ROUTINE THROWS THAT ANY D1 QB HAS TO MAKE.
No foot speed, doesn’t go thru any progressions, locks on to receivers, throws balls at receivers feet, overthrows.
He’s not D1 material

Reactions: iowaflash
Because Padilla was an immediate upgrade vs northwestern last year. Also, Padilla can utilize play action. Spencer can't manage a passing game from under center.
Padilla had a few games and a ton of practice time to show that he could give us our best chance to win games. He didn't show that. Alex has some nice attributes....he runs a little better and he gets the ball out quicker. That said....he throws a bad ball much of the time....wobbly and off target. His running ability is overrated. He's not fast nor is he very elusive. He might provide a short-term spark but it will be just that....short-term. He's not the answer.

Yep. I really hope it’s a case of seeing live action from another defense that got the OL off to a slow start. We’ll see how they come out against the clowns.
petras however does not get any pass! Even in the rare situations he had time he still missed badly ON ROUTINE THROWS THAT ANY D1 QB HAS TO MAKE.
No foot speed, doesn’t go thru any progressions, locks on to receivers, throws balls at receivers feet, overthrows.
He’s not D1 material
I think I was most disappointed in Colby. He’s a guy who was highly recruited, has experience and looked god awful in pass protection. He missed a key blitz that resulted in a sack. Literally didn’t even block anyone. Logan Jones played horribly too but he’s pretty new to the position, so I’m hoping some game experience will help him make some strides.

That doesn't fit the last four Iowa QB's recruiting profiles. Padilla, Hogan were supposed to be mobile. Labas, May and Lainz are all supposed to be running threats. This freak show at QB will end because the excuses or explanations are wearing thin.

It is absolutely Joe's time.
As you said....Labas is "suppose" to be a running threat. Many people said the same thing about Padilla. And, he's clearly NOT a running threat. I'm betting that Labas is about as much of a running threat as Padilla....which isn't much more of a running threat than Petras. Being a decent running QB in high school is not the same as being a running threat at the P5 college level.

We don't have good QBs on this roster. Period.

I stated before that I was fine with Spencer starting if the line was good at pass pro. They are not so they really need a QB that has quick feet. One that can drop back quickly as well as avoid the rush. Petras is horribly slow at both of those things and combined with a below average pass pro line is a recipe for disaster.

Good post, OP. Our route tree and route running has been a thorn in my side ever since KOK left for the Dolphins. Tevaun and Matt Vandeberg understood how to run routes, but since then….oof. There’s no crispness and very little suddenness/urgency. It’s not because of a lack of athleticism, it’s purely a skill/technique thing. Based on camp videos I thought Bruce could be that guy who set defenders up and made clean breaks. Apparently not in week 1.

As for the OL….George Barnett is very clearly not the answer. Position coaches don’t need years to make an impact, they need weeks. When Jim Reid was brought on, there was a noticeable upgrade to our LB play. Derrick Foster, same thing with the RB’s. Kelvin Bell picked up where Reese left off with the DL brilliantly.

The drop off in line play from BF to Polasek was like, two levels. From Polasek to Barnett has been about 5. Whiffs used to be kind of a rarity. Sure, guys might get beat, but they were at least getting a body /hands on them and making an effort to move a body. Now, complete whiffs are happening with regularity. There’s a bunch of guys out there who are in at least their third year here. Youth is no longer an excuse.

And now we have ISU coming up. Their 3-3-5 stack is designed to wreck outside zone, and if we haven’t had much success running the ball against them lately, we sure as hell won’t this year. Will McDonald is as good a DE as we’ll see all year. Singleton and Lee are more than capable of shooting gaps and making the interior look just as silly as SDSU’s 275 lb. DT’s did. Downfield passing, much like Wisconsin’s defense, is how you attack it. That ain’t a great recipe for us.

We all knew the offense last year was bad. But they still had moments, even in game 1. Saturday was bleak. Beyond bleak. There’s issues with execution, and then there’s what we have.

The slide three yards short on 3rd down was pretty telling. He could have juked left and picked that up. He didn't want to take a hit.
Another three and out.
While your point is valid with most QBs. Spencer isn’t juking anyone or anything

I want to know what college team you guys are watching that keeps the qb clean even 75% of the time. It's such a lame excuse and it's exacerbated by Spencer's lack of mobility and ability to make a quick read and beat the pressure. This isn't the NFL where you can pay 100 million dollars to keep a statue like Tom Brady clean.

I watched the Ohio state kid scramble for his life and make plays and I watched the old dominion kid scramble foe his life and make plays. Iowa is the one that can't figure it out.

Exactly all of this. There's a reason Petras always has happy feet. He doesn't trust his offensive line at all.
So is Iowas D so bad we get no pressure on him in practice?

You’d think the staff would be planning for short outs and roll outs to counter the weakness.

SP Square pet round hole for what Iowa needs offensively as cement feet running dancing feet in the pocket.

Next

Did anyone see last nights game against Florida St and LSU? Although I didn't watch the entire game, I saw enough of the fourth quarter to be encouraged that mobile quarterbacks are out there. What the LSU quarterback did in the last 2 minutes of the game was amazing and I sat there shaking my head in why Kirk continues to through out so called pocket quarterbacks that have neither speed or quickness.
Iowa is known to produce interior linemen and anyone that weighs over 300 pounds, but when was the last time the NFL came a calling to one of Iowa's "pocket quarterbacks"?
Sure, I didn't see the entire game and obviously the LSU quarterback didn't set the world on fire during the previous 58+ minutes of the game, but he had the athletic ability to get the job done to give LSU a chance to tie or win the game when it counted.
How many of Iowa's faithful can sit back an say Spencer has the ability to lead Iowa down the field from inside the opponents 10 yard line in the last 2 minutes of a game using his legs and arm to give Iowa a chance to win a game? I'll bet very few including the head coach and offensive coordinator.
Can someone tell me how many major college head coaches still rely on drop back pocket passers to run their programs? I'm again betting very few.
As someone has said previously, either the quarterback needs to be mobile to protect a bad line, or the line has to be good enough to protect a bad quarterback, how many games will it take Iowa to make the changes to one or the other before the season is just another "we're Iowa season".

Reactions: CookyMonster
I think I was most disappointed in Colby. He’s a guy who was highly recruited, has experience and looked god awful in pass protection. He missed a key blitz that resulted in a sack. Literally didn’t even block anyone. Logan Jones played horribly too but he’s pretty new to the position, so I’m hoping some game experience will help him make some strides.
There's a big difference between playing guard and tackle especially in pass pro. You also have to remember our new center has to make the line calls, and we have no idea how many of the missed blocks by Stephens or Colby were them getting the wrong assignment. I don't know, but that could factor into it. Something the coaches need to get figured out, and quickly....

Did anyone see last nights game against Florida St and LSU? Although I didn't watch the entire game, I saw enough of the fourth quarter to be encouraged that mobile quarterbacks are out there. What the LSU quarterback did in the last 2 minutes of the game was amazing and I sat there shaking my head in why Kirk continues to through out so called pocket quarterbacks that have neither speed or quickness.
Iowa is known to produce interior linemen and anyone that weighs over 300 pounds, but when was the last time the NFL came a calling to one of Iowa's "pocket quarterbacks"?
Sure, I didn't see the entire game and obviously the LSU quarterback didn't set the world on fire during the previous 58+ minutes of the game, but he had the athletic ability to get the job done to give LSU a chance to tie or win the game when it counted.
How many of Iowa's faithful can sit back an say Spencer has the ability to lead Iowa down the field from inside the opponents 10 yard line in the last 2 minutes of a game using his legs and arm to give Iowa a chance to win a game? I'll bet very few including the head coach and offensive coordinator.
Can someone tell me how many major college head coaches still rely on drop back pocket passers to run their programs? I'm again betting very few.
As someone has said previously, either the quarterback needs to be mobile to protect a bad line, or the line has to be good enough to protect a bad quarterback, how many games will it take Iowa to make the changes to one or the other before the season is just another "we're Iowa season".
What is another, "were Iowa season" exactly? Lately its 9 wins and a top 25 ranking. Look I get everybodys frustration, but some of this is absurd. You'd think we hadn't had a winning season in 20 years or something. "Were Iowa season"? What does that even mean........

Padilla was bad vs MN? His % was but he threw 2TDs vs 0 INTs and averaged 8.6 YPA. Compare that with Petras vs Purdue. You know BEFORE the injury that no one has been able to identify against WISCY. 17/32 so better % but 6.1 YPA and 0TDs and 4 INTs.
I will take Padilla's outing over anything Petras has done since Maryland (who happened to be a crap defense). Padilla absolutely would have performed better than Petras. And you have ZERO evidence that Labas is better than either.

I will first off tell you when I was watching the game live, that I was shocked and laughing sarcastically that KF kept sending Petras back out there. It really did look like Petras was THE problem. However, while it is obvious that Spencer did not have his best day and missed some throws, there is much more underneath the surface after the rewatch (and pausing, and rewinding, and slo-moing, etc.).

Offensive line

This offensive line is truly offensive. It is, in my opinion by far and away the worst offensive line of the KF era. I understand that of the 5 players that started that 2 of them played in their first game and the other 3 are playing for the 2nd year. Lots of youth there, I get it. But, they were completely and dominantly out-played by an undersized (by FBS standards) defensive line and shown to be slow, weak and on top of that a rag-tag bunch that really doesn't have an idea what they are doing. And know this: SDSU, an FCS team, played us straight up the entire game!!! Don't let anyone tell you that "oh, they stacked the box against us and had 8 and 9 guys in there and we can't block everybody". They beat 5 offensive lineman with 4 defensive lineman all day long. And they did it in every way possible. The beat both tackles with speed rushes to the outside. They consistently penetrated all the gaps in the interior and were either able to get to the quarterback or disrupt or stop the play of the running back. Many, many of the plays ended with all 4 defensive linemen in the backfield while atleast 2 or 3 of the offensive linemen were either on their back, fell down or out of the play. When running either outside or inside zone, they would fail to pass their lineman off to the next guy and nobody, all game long did anything to block the backside of the play, thus negating the boot plays that are a big staple of this offense. They missed blocks repeatedly, completely whiffing, and sometimes you saw 3 offensive lineman blocking 2 defensive lineman while the guy next to him runs by completely unblocked. There was zero movement of the line of scrimmage, nobody could sustain a block nor even appear to have the desire to, and our offensive line looked completely out-matched and out-muscled. Colby was beaten badly many times on the edge in his first start at tackle, and, I don't see where a lot of people think so highly of Richman because he wasn't any good either. Nobody could pass block, nobody could run block, and thus it made it really tough sledding for Petras because he got pressure everywhere.

Blocking

Not only is the offensive line blocking atrocious, but I think this is the weakest group of tight-ends with respect to blocking that I have seen. The wide receivers could not sustain their blocks at all either. There were so many running plays where if there was just one more block it would have put Williams in a 1-on-1 with some either a lineback or defensive back. I know it is not the pretty part of playing WR, but the big running plays come from downfield blocking.

Lack of downfield threat

We either have nobody on this team that can stretch the defense deep or the staff doesn't believe in anyone that can do it. Nobody even runs the routes. The route trees are awful and if anything it looks like many of the routes do nothing but bring defenders to the ball rather than get them away from it. Again, SDSU played us straight up. They rushed 4 down lineman, played 2 high safeties and sat on all the routes in front of them with the linebackers and corners. Sound familiar? Yeah, it should because it is how we beat teams all the time. And we obliged by running routes right in front of them, all day long.

WR play

WR play in general is awful. I get that Bruce is the best we have right now, however, his routes are not crisp to begin with. I don't think people understand how critical it is to run a crisp route. He seems to round all of his routes off (LaPorta does the same thing) and when a receiver rounds their routes off the defender can just run with them, thus you don't get any separation. I didn't see anyone run a hard-curl or even attempt a jab step to either side to get the defender on his heels which could get you a couple of steps. On the bubble screen Bruce just stopped and waiting for the ball and all that did is give the defenders time to blow the play up. We know from years of watching the bubble screen that the WR has to be running toward the ball, behind his blockers in order for this play to work. These little things don't seem like much but they are huge when it comes to getting open and giving your quarterback a larger window to throw. It is especially critical on those out-routes because breaking off the route too early and/or rounding it only brings the defender into the light of sight of the quarterback. Spencer really struggled with these throws, but, in his defense it is a difficult throw to make. But he should make it, granted.

As I stated earlier in the week, I think that Iowa was going to try to run their standard stuff on offense for many reasons: they didn't need to do anything exotic to win against an over-matched team, to establish the foundations of the running game and to simplify the gameplan. When none of that worked and your quarterback is off, it was better to just get out of there because there wasn't anything fixing it at that point. So I can see why he kept Petras in the game because there was no quarterback that was going to fix any of these problems, not yesterday during the game. I think a lot can be fixed, I think some can't, and I think that there is a youth and serious talent problem that will prevent this offense from being respectable. I hope I am wrong. But hey, we are 1-0!
Doesn't help that Petras has zero mobility. When a DL can pin it's ears back with no concern of protecting against a scrambling QB it makes all the difference in the world.

Padilla was bad vs MN? His % was but he threw 2TDs vs 0 INTs and averaged 8.6 YPA. Compare that with Petras vs Purdue. You know BEFORE the injury that no one has been able to identify against WISCY. 17/32 so better % but 6.1 YPA and 0TDs and 4 INTs.
I will take Padilla's outing over anything Petras has done since Maryland (who happened to be a crap defense). Padilla absolutely would have performed better than Petras. And you have ZERO evidence that Labas is better than either.

Well, then let me say:

Minnesota was the only game in which he threw TDs and Interceptions. You are literally cherry picking his best, which as you say, saw another low completion rate. Have you forgotten that 1 of the two TDs was KJ catching an overthrown ball, broke a tackle and took in with YAC.

You are right, we have no actual evidence that Joe is better at this point. But we do have a significant body of evidence that Padilla is not good. I am willing to gamble with the young QB. He may be bad in different ways but it is hard to see how he could be net negative to what we saw on Saturday.

Reactions: owenhawk
Well, then let me say:

Minnesota was the only game in which he threw TDs and Interceptions. You are literally cherry picking his best, which as you say, saw another low completion rate. Have you forgotten that 1 of the two TDs was KJ catching an overthrown ball, broke a tackle and took in with YAC.

You are right, we have no actual evidence that Joe is better at this point. But we do have a significant body of evidence that Padilla is not good. I am willing to gamble with the young QB. He may be bad in different ways but it is hard to see how he could be net negative to what we saw on Saturday.

You don't have significant body of evidence. Padilla took #1 snaps and prep for maybe 4 weeks of his career. He got to play in 3.5 games so far vs Petras' 21 appearances.

A mobile QB would also lessen the pressure teams dial up against our young OL as well.

Historically, the Iowa defensive line is notorious for playing contain against mobile QBs, keeping them in the pocket and forcing them to throw (to generate turnovers). This has burned us many times when said mobile QB then proceeds to make good decisions and is throwing very effective.
Iowa's offense does not play the Iowa defense.

Iowa coaches know they have a better chance at winning with a 17-10 score than going for a 35-10 win.
Sounds weird, but I think I'm starting to see the strategy here.
Punt inside the 10 as often as possible. Let the other team make mistakes and capitalize on them with the D. Iowa starting with the ball at their 25? The goal is not to score! Sure, we'll take it if it happens. But that is not the goal. The goal is move the chains twice! That's it! Punt inside the 20, 10 at best.

What do you need for this type of strategy? Not a qb. That's for sure. Just someone who won't be tempted to take a risk and who can secure the ball. Might as well give that job to the great kid who won't take risks! And you need a great D and punter. Voila. That's Iowa.

Achieving the 13-10 win is more likely than going after the 35-10 win.
That's our personnel. That's what we got.

I know this isn't new. But I see it now.
That's also the way Hayden played it in 1981 when we had a strong D and punter, but a lack of play-makers on O. Kirk doesn't play it that way every game, but this year it could be the best strategy given personnel.

Reactions: owenhawk
That's also the way Hayden played it in 1981 when we had a strong D and punter, but a lack of play-makers on O. Kirk doesn't play it that way every game, but this year it could be the best strategy given personnel.
I just think that the whole offense is something out of the 1960’s. There is virtually no imagination, compensatory plays( ran 1 screen, 1 end around and no draws, and no long passes). It’s a turtle offense that would only work if the OL could mangle the defense. Did that in 2002 and 2008- that’s 2 for 23

My memory is a little fuzzy but I was pretty sure we had a pretty good offensive line but no running backs. I may be wrong though. Regardless, you are right, Drew was an awesome player and I sure wish we had him or someone like him now. Simply speaking, I think when you have a statue at quarterback two things need to be true; 1. is that you can protect him, 2. he better be accurate. Think Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. Warner is a better example in my opinion because he was so accurate and a champion in St. Louis and went to the Super Bowl with Arizona because they could protect him, but looked awful in New York when they couldn't. Petras is not accurate and we couldn't protect him anyway if we could. Not a great scenario. Oh, also Drew could throw on the run and Petras can't. Oh, Drew always had his eyes downfield and Petras doesn't. There are those things too. But I digress.

I think the 2004 team were averaging 3ypc with Jermelle Lewis as the healthy scholarship RB...that guy had been a 5ypc or better RB in year's prior. IT was not a good run blocking OL unit.....they got blown out at AZ and then soundly beat by Michigan ...Ironically, BF was on that OL.

After Jermelle went down, I think the walkon RB Brownlee averaged 2.2 ypc. KOK went to a pass first offense after Michigan loss and Tate bought time/made teams pay for blitzing....that wasn't a great offense, middle of the pack maybe, but they put up a lot more points than what BF has been doing last couple years. In my opinion, Tate made that team go along with Clint Solomon and give KOK credit for adapting the offense...if they had Petras, that would have been a 3-4 win team, not B1G champion and beating a tough LSU team in bowl game (thanks in part to KF bumbling the time management and Tate telling everyone to go deep on last play).

This year's offense is not very talented. Still, a QB with mobilty would get more than what Petras is providing.

When you have a poor OL, it helps to have a mobile QB. So....lets play the statue.

Also, anyone else notice that on a good majority of the running plays it looked like the OL weren't all coming off at the same time. Looked like they were a half beat away from when the ball was hiked.

When you have a poor OL, it helps to have a mobile QB. So....lets play the statue.

Also, anyone else notice that on a good majority of the running plays it looked like the OL weren't all coming off at the same time. Looked like they were a half beat away from when the ball was hiked.
Jones had a rough game all around. I’m sure ISU noticed this as well and will be pointing this out early to the crew. Wisconsin has looked this way for years though.

Exactly all of this. There's a reason Petras always has happy feet. He doesn't trust his offensive line at all.
With all that being true, then why TF would you not play a QB that is a bit more mobile? Padilla isn't all that, but he clearly showed more mobility and brought some energy to the position last year.

OC is in way over his head and our QB is terrible. Everything else will always look miserable when you have those two things.

ADVERTISEMENT