ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatch the shove on CC

Watch the reaction of the thugs teammates and coaches.
I find it shocking nobody has mentioned it.
Just sayin.
200w.gif

It’s been all over this board and Twitter since then.

Am I crazy or did only Reese react positively? Witherspoon was instantly mad and another player on the Sky’s bench couldn’t believe Carter made a dumb foul.
Carter didn't make a dumb foul. She committed, by legal definition, assault and battery. About 17,000 witnesses and clear video would make an easy court case. And because it was racially motivated and Carter called CC "a bitch," it could easily be a hate crime as well.

Participating in an alleged athletic contest does not provide protection from the law. Assault and battery is what it is, no matter the context. The WNBA is one step up, maybe, from a bar brawl.

Carter didn't make a dumb foul. She committed, by legal definition, assault and battery. About 17,000 witnesses and clear video would make an easy court case. And because it was racially motivated and Carter called CC "a bitch," it could easily be a hate crime as well.

Participating in an alleged athletic contest does not provide protection from the law. Assault and battery is what it is, no matter the context. The WNBA is one step up, maybe, from a bar brawl.
Touch grass

Good god. A Flagrant 1 foul is not a criminal act. Don’t be a drama queen.
Well, if she did that on a street corner she could be charged with it. But on a court or field it's just a foul. It probably is better that way. How many crimes would people have been charged with if police went around trying to charge players in a sporting event for fouls they committed?

Spitting on someone is assault. I'd say this was was clearly a level above that. Ball wasn't even in play, so it wasn't a "foul". She snuck up behind someone who was standing still and physically knocked her to the ground.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
Well, if she did that on a street corner she could be charged with it. But on a court or field it's just a foul. It probably is better that way. How many crimes would people have been charged with if police went around trying to charge players in a sporting event for fouls they committed?
Being on a court does not protect you from an assault charge. Had she been seriously hurt from it there very well could be a case. There have been multiple cases where hockey players have had their actions/offenses on the ice spill over into an actual court of law.

Being on a court does not protect you from an assault charge. Had she been seriously hurt from it there very well could be a case. There have been multiple cases where hockey players have had their actions/offenses on the ice spill over into an actual court of law.
True, but of those hockey cases I have seen they were all quite extreme and/or resulted in some serious injuries. This event does not come anywhere close to those. And you’re delusional if you think it does.

Reactions: peacehawk
Spitting on someone is assault. I'd say this was was clearly a level above that. Ball wasn't even in play, so it wasn't a "foul". She snuck up behind someone who was standing still and physically knocked her to the ground.
JFC it was a flagrant foul. I personally believe a strong argument can be made for Flagrant 2.

A week later it’s now a criminal assault.

By this time next week some here will swear that girl pulled a switchblade and threatened to kill CC.

True, but of those hockey cases I have seen they were all quite extreme and/or resulted in some serious injuries. This event does not come anywhere close to those. And you’re delusional if you think it does.
You might want to actually read and try to comprehend what I said rather than instantly starting with the name calling - I said "had she been seriously hurt". But i understand you'd rather just be a smart ass about it all.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
I'll just say this. Both her verbage as she did the deed, and the FACT that it happened during a dead ball. clearly shows intent, and should be treated as such. This was not a basketball play, or a simple foul, and the league simply upgrading the call the next day does not adequately address what happened, or her obvious intent. Head hunting of ANY player in the league should not be tolerated.

You might want to actually read and try to comprehend what I said rather than instantly starting with the name calling - I said "had she been seriously hurt". But i understand you'd rather just be a smart ass about it all.
“You” was intended as a plural in the above post. Like “you all” are delusional if… so really it’s conditional name calling. If you aren’t equating it to assault, you aren’t delusional.

I'll just say this. Both her verbage as she did the deed, and the FACT that it happened during a dead ball. clearly shows intent, and should be treated as such. This was not a basketball play, or a simple foul, and the league simply upgrading the call the next day does not adequately address what happened, or her obvious intent. Head hunting of ANY player in the league should not be tolerated.
I would be surprised if the WNBA Commissioner is not addressing these flagrant fouls with general managers. Strict enforcement of flagrant fouls and imposition of stronger player & team penalties. That would be the proper course of action IMO.

If the Commissioner is not putting GMs and head coaches on notice, she is failing and risks losing control.

Reactions: kceasthawk
btw, why did they overturn the second T on angel? are they afraid of riots in the streets? spray paint and burning cop cars?

I would be surprised if the WNBA Commissioner is not addressing these flagrant fouls with general managers. Strict enforcement of flagrant fouls and imposition of stronger player & team penalties. That would be the proper course of action IMO.

If the Commissioner is not putting GMs and head coaches on notice, she is failing and risks losing control.
The NBA owns 50% of the WNBA and puts up something like 15 million annually to help subsidize expenses. The NBA Commissioner has probably already addressed it.

btw, why did they overturn the second T on angel? are they afraid of riots in the streets? spray paint and burning cop cars?
One technical seemed plenty harsh, but she did swear at/to the ref and at least they seem consistent on that. The second was for… waving her hand “dismissively”?

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
One technical seemed plenty harsh, but she did swear at/to the ref and at least they seem consistent on that. The second was for… waving her hand “dismissively”?
These refs need to grow some callouses on that thin skin. I think angel is a delusional spiteful child but come on.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT