ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Brown: Iowa will finish 8-4, lose to Iowa State

I will be excited if we win our first two games which, is a bit sad as it should be SOP. I just don't know what the hell to expect.

I think a lot of has to do with when you grew up. Kids that grew up in the 80's just assumed that is where Iowa should always be. Blowing out ISU, ranked 4 out of 5 years. Those that grew up in the 70s or before know that's not the case. Barry Switzer wrote about this in his book. It's called creating the monster. Once you start winning, the fans think they are part of it and assume they should always get wins. Most Nebraska older Nebraska fans have never really known a mediocre Nebraska team. The kids that have grown up in the last 10 years will not expect 10-12 wins a year.

Out here in the Seattle area (have to say that so SP don't accuse me of trying to be cool saying I am in Seattle), you have a portion of the fanbase that became monster fans in the early 90s when Washington was dominant. The fans that are in school now have never known Washington to be that school. A few years ago they beat a good Stanford team and the students rushed the field. That seriously pissed off many alumns including Former QB and ESPN announcer Brock Huard. They were under this impression that Washington don't celebrate wins against Stanford because they are always better, even though they haven't been for quite a while.

Personally I don't think most students follow the sport. They just want to rush the field and be a part of the win. I have no problems with students rushing the field at any point, but for whatever reason that seriously upsets those that feel Iowa is the monster power house football program. Sorry I guess I took this in a different direction.

I think this is a good point though. Out in Seattle you probably don't listen to 1620 with Sharp and Benning in the morning, but Damon Benning was talking about this effect a little bit with LSU. Historically not a great program, lucks out with the coach of the Century in Saban and got Les Miles as a pretty decent follow on. But what happens when Miles moves on, will LSU necessarily be where they've been the last 10 years? Even with Les, LSU hasn't really been this unstoppable machine either as time goes on.

I don't get the mindset that Iowa should always beat ISU.

Iowa is a career something like 52% win program over the past 100 years. If a fan base is going to put stakes in the ground and assert ownership of something for Iowa it has to start in-state. Iowa is not a program that is going to put a stake down and say "we need to go .500 or better with Michigan or OSU in big games over the next 5 decades", but they can say that most years, for them to have a chance at a good season, they should probably be the best team in a state not really known for football excellence.

I know that the team should expect to beat them every year but as a fan you have to be realistic. There are some years ISU has been better or as good as Iowa and some years where you are going to have upsets. They aren't as bad as they were in the 80 and early 90's.

I know that the team should expect to beat them every year but as a fan you have to be realistic. There are some years ISU has been better or as good as Iowa and some years where you are going to have upsets. They aren't as bad as they were in the 80 and early 90's.

Completely agree.

I'm just pointing out that there aren't a lot of options for regular Joe fan to "expect" to happen every year. Beating your in-state rival and a bowl game are among the easier to achieve if the program isn't going to be in contention for a Division title on a yearly basis.

There is no good reason that Iowa is at this level now except for the HC. He is responsible. But until enough alums with money start complaining or attendance falls off badly he will be here because our AD is afraid of change.

I don't think the losses to ISU when they are as good or better are what fans are currently upset about. 2012 was acceptable. 2014, not so much.

I don't think the losses to ISU when they are as good or better are what fans are currently upset about. 2012 was acceptable. 2014, not so much.

I think you are right for a lot of people. Me included. Last year was not acceptable. But there are plenty of people out there that think otherwise.

I don't get the mindset that Iowa should always beat ISU.
Because it will keep the Cyclone fans from being too noisy in the back seat. The last few instances, their noisiness woke up the Panthers in the front passenger seat and they paid the price.

Besides, nobody likes a backseat driver, and that pretty much describes the ISU fanbase.

I don't think Iowa fans can handle another loss to Iowa State. If this happens, can you imagine the call in shows and the impact on Kinnick attendance the rest of the season?

Overall, Rick predicts an 8-4, 5-3 B1G conference record for Iowa (losses at Iowa State, at Wisconsin, at Indiana, at Nebraska).

Sorry, but losing to Iowa State and IU should not be happening. With this schedule, 10-2, 6-2 should be the minimum fans should expect.

Regarding Iowa State, Rick says this:

Iowa at Iowa State, Sept. 12

Iowa won on its last trip to Jack Trice Stadium, 27-21, and did so with an experienced set of linebackers that kept Iowa State quarterback Sam Richardson in check. Richardson played that game on a sore ankle. If he’s healthy, and if the Cyclone line can give him time to find an underrated group of receivers, it will be up to Iowa’s offense to keep up in what could be a high-scoring affair. We’ll find out how good the Hawkeye secondary is in this game. Richardson is a dual-threat weapon, and the Hawkeye defense will get good experience playing against Roberson the week before.

What Rick says: Iowa’s defense will learn some valuable lessons, and the running game will show some life. But it’s not enough to get out of Ames with a victory.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...n-against-wisconsin-pennstate-big10/32418895/

Bump.... what a difference less than two weeks can make.

Funny. You are correct. Let's have a fun Saturday nite in Iowa City this week and take care of business and keep it rolling. Team has a different feel to it.

Rick Brown needs to sit down and have an interview with
C.J. Beathard. The Iowa quarterback is going to have a
great year as he leads the Iowa Hawkeyes to a big name
Bowl game in January.

In Rick Brown's defense, there was a good portion of the first half yesterday where I thought It looked like we were going to lose to ISU.

In Rick Brown's defense, there was a good portion of the first half yesterday where I thought It looked like we were going to lose to ISU.
Also in Rick Brown's defense, Iowa State has routinely beat Ferentz Coached Iowa Teams that are always favored to beat them. Not like he was going out on a big ol' limb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT