ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Davis #37 on top 50 most over rated NBA players

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
Career: 12 seasons (1998-2010)

Teams: Charlotte Hornets (1998-2000), Miami Heat (2000-01), Cleveland Cavaliers (2001-03), Boston Celtics (2003-06), Minnesota Timberwolves (2006-07), Miami Heat (2007-08), Los Angeles Clippers (2008-10)

Stats: 736 G, 13.5 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 3.3 APG, 44.6 FG%

NBA titles: None

Bottom line: Ricky Davis put together a career that is the definition of an NBA wasteland — a talented, aimless player who bounces from team to team and never finds the right fit. Davis did himself zero favors in 2003 when he tried to bounce the ball off his own rim to get a rebound and complete a triple-double.

At 6-foot-7, he was a matchup nightmare at shooting guard, but continually playing with zero heart does little to strike fear in opponents.

He made the playoffs twice and lost in the first round both times.

rickydavis_cavaliers.jpg

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/most-overrated-nba-players-all-time-1565cd119cc744dd

Last edited:
Reactions: dean_oliver222
Hmmmm. I didn’t realize anyone other had a high enough opinion of him for him to be considered overrated.

I’m definitely not going to bash on the guy. It’s not easy to stick in the league for 12 years.

Yeah this list had Solomon Hill right after Davis. Can't say I've heard too many people even give an opinion on Hill. May just be based on the $ he got in the 2016 spike.

Career: 12 seasons (1998-2010)

Teams: Charlotte Hornets (1998-2000), Miami Heat (2000-01), Cleveland Cavaliers (2001-03), Boston Celtics (2003-06), Minnesota Timberwolves (2006-07), Miami Heat (2007-08), Los Angeles Clippers (2008-10)

Stats: 736 G, 13.5 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 3.3 APG, 44.6 FG%

NBA titles: None

Bottom line: Ricky Davis put together a career that is the definition of an NBA wasteland — a talented, aimless player who bounces from team to team and never finds the right fit. Davis did himself zero favors in 2003 when he tried to bounce the ball off his own rim to get a rebound and complete a triple-double.

At 6-foot-7, he was a matchup nightmare at shooting guard, but continually playing with zero heart does little to strike fear in opponents.

He made the playoffs twice and lost in the first round both times.

rickydavis_cavaliers.jpg

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/most-overrated-nba-players-all-time-1565cd119cc744dd
Ouch.....

Saw him play many times in high school. Even talked to a longtime high school coach who told me he'd never seen anyone like him.

But, a waste.

Not even discussed as a great Hawkeye for his one year here, whereas Connie Hawkins gets lauded for not even playing.

Saw him play many times in high school. Even talked to a longtime high school coach who told me he'd never seen anyone like him.

But, a waste.

Not even discussed as a great Hawkeye for his one year here, whereas Connie Hawkins gets lauded for not even playing.

Yeah, I hardly think the word “waste” is appropriate here.

Don't watch enough NBA to intelligently opine on contemporary players but some of the older guys are head scratching. Pete Maravich? Bob Cousy? Dwight Howard? Pierre Pierce? Dom Wilkins?

Way too much emphasis on winning in a team sport. For example, the Pistol played his prime playing years at a time, in just the Eastern division, he had to face, several times a season in the much smaller league with far fewer playoff teams:

Cowens/Havlicek Celtics.
Reed/Frazier/Monroe Knicks
Unseld/Hayes/Chenier Bullets
Erving/McGinnis 76ers
McAdoo/Smith/DiGregorio Braves

Oh, forgot Kareem's Bucks and the great Chicago Bulls teams of the 70s.

Haven't even begun to list all of the All Stars from those teams. Pete had a aging, albeit talented, Walt Bellamy and the All Star Lou Hudson and absolutely nothing else. The Pistol had an unreal number of great passes hit guys in the head or body because his teammates weren't playing head's up ball.

Much the same could be said for Dom Wilkins. The writer pays like lip service to playing against Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls and the Bad Boy Pistons (a team that primarily won due to NBA obvious game rigging) as a challenge. Even Bernard King's Knicks had far more overall talent than Dom Wilkin's Hawks.

But, a waste.

My nephew went to high school with Ricky, and he used to spend some time at his house. Said he was just really laid back. I never met him, had moved to Missouri years before, but was pretty excited for a Davenport kid to end up at Iowa. Unfortunately staying at Iowa for just the one year, and then some of the stunts like the one mentioned he pulled in the league, made you think head case for sure.

this list is "if you don't have a ring you're over rated". By this logic Michael Jordon is more overrated than Robert Horry

Reactions: longliveCS40
Don't watch enough NBA to intelligently opine on contemporary players but some of the older guys are head scratching. Pete Maravich? Bob Cousy? Dwight Howard? Pierre Pierce? Dom Wilkins?

Way too much emphasis on winning in a team sport. For example, the Pistol played his prime playing years at a time, in just the Eastern division, he had to face, several times a season in the much smaller league with far fewer playoff teams:

Cowens/Havlicek Celtics.
Erving/McGinnis 76ers

Haven't even begun to list all of the All Stars from those teams. Pete had a aging, albeit talented, Walt Bellamy and the All Star Lou Hudson and absolutely nothing else. The Pistol had an unreal number of great passes hit guys in the head or body because his teammates weren't playing head's up ball.

Much the same could be said for Dom Wilkins. The writer pays like lip service to playing against Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls and the Bad Boy Pistons (a team that primarily won due to NBA obvious game rigging) as a challenge. Even Bernard King's Knicks had far more overall talent than Dom Wilkin's Hawks.

Nique is on the list of most overrated? That's insane. Other than someone putting him in the top 5 ever, there would be no way to overrate him, let alone land on a list of most overrated.

Cowens/Havlicek Celtics.
Erving/McGinnis 76ers

The Bucks and the Bulls were in the Western Conference when Maravich was playing.

Hmmmm. I didn’t realize anyone other had a high enough opinion of him for him to be considered overrated.

I’m definitely not going to bash on the guy. It’s not easy to stick in the league for 12 years.
Keeping a bench seat warm is tough work. Wasn’t he Iowa’s first’one-and-done’ player
Since that was started?

When he arrived in Boston, he made an effort to be a team player. He also did a lot of good in the community. Seemed to have turned his life and career around. But, as time wore on, Ricky caused more and more dissension behind the scenes. The Celtics got rid of him as quickly as they could. Too bad. Good player. Liked to cause problems.

Keeping a bench seat warm is tough work. Wasn’t he Iowa’s first’one-and-done’ player
Since that was started?
He simply went pro after his Freshman year. There was no one and done rule yet, that was still the unrestricted era where anyone could do it. It was somewhere in the mid-late 2000s when the draft was flooded with high schoolers that the rule was created.

When he arrived in Boston, he made an effort to be a team player. He also did a lot of good in the community. Seemed to have turned his life and career around. But, as time wore on, Ricky caused more and more dissension behind the scenes. The Celtics got rid of him as quickly as they could. Too bad. Good player. Liked to cause problems.

Spend 5 minutes with Ricky's father at the time of his recruiting and you'd quickly understand Ricky's entirely self absorbed personality.

Ricky made a lot of money playing for six or seven different teams but not team he left was ever sorry to see him go, except maybe the Hawks.

Reactions: Sexican
He simply went pro after his Freshman year. There was no one and done rule yet, that was still the unrestricted era where anyone could do it. It was somewhere in the mid-late 2000s when the draft was flooded with high schoolers that the rule was created.
I knew the 1-&-done was after Ricky left Iowa. He basically did 1 and said “I am done”. At least he went to school for one semester.

He made $42 million in his career. I am sure he cries every time he goes to the bank!

Ricky is not dumb. I mean he's not going into any grad schools or the Writer's Workshop but he's not low mentality. Nonetheless, Ricky does some just unbelievably clownishly stupid shit.

People would be shocked at everything that comes out of that 40 million. Other players have blown far more.

Ricky has never gotten any respect. I recall when he announced he was going pro after his freshman season people laughed and said he wouldn't even get drafted. Well, he went in the first round and played many years at a high level.

The only criticism I have for him is the failed triple double thing. It was dumb but freaking hilarious.

He made $42 million in his career. I am sure he cries every time he goes to the bank!
Pretty easy to blow through $42 million nowadays unless you are invested and budgeting. The lavish lifestyle/mentality of nba players and hip hop culture in general isn’t conducive to long term savings. Not saying that’s where Ricky is at, because I don’t know, but it’s not even a little difficult to imagine how pro athletes run through the money that they make - especially if they are uneducated in finance and time value of money

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT