ADVERTISEMENT

Riding parallel with both legs in

Yah...haha.. that Jr. High mat they use is hilarious and such an advantage at home. They must think the casual fan will not notice it.
If OSU's mat is smaller than the one at NCAAs, I have the same question for them. If the regular season is to prepare you for nationals, why wouldn't you want a mat that is that size?

Just rewatched the match and really didn't observe stalling on top by Fix. On my second viewing the double leg ride wasn't used as much as I thought it was the first (though the Flo guys kept mentioning it so it did seem that way). He spent time on a single leg ride as well for just as much time if not more. Looked like he was going for a hammer lock (and almost got it once) but Desanto wisely rolled his arm back in front and tucked his elbow in. Not sure how you hit the top guy in this sequence, I think the ref did the right thing by letting the match continue with no stall calls on either guy (you know Iowa would be cheering for stalling if their guy was on top in Carver)

I can tell you exactly how you call stalling — because he’s parallel.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure a power half is still legal. That's how Hillger was able to hang on against Stoll when he got high.

I don't agree with the 5 count stall because pinning combinations take longer than that. I think you make it a point of emphasis next year to make top man attempt a pinning combination or call a stalemate after 15-20 seconds. That way you reward a solid breakdown by the top man, but you don't let him kill a whole period.

Hillger had one leg in not two. People are saying 2 legs in power half is illegal. Rule change within last 5 years. I'm not certain if it's legal or not but they seem to be right bc I don't recall ever seeing 2 legs in power half these days.

Hillger had one leg in not two. People are saying 2 legs in power half is illegal. Rule change within last 5 years. I'm not certain if it's legal or not but they seem to be right bc I don't recall ever seeing 2 legs in power half these days.
Where are they saying you can't do a double boots power half? Not saying you're wrong at all. I just must have missed that. What's the reasoning?

Where are they saying you can't do a double boots power half? Not saying you're wrong at all. I just must have missed that. What's the reasoning?

Do you have me on ignore? I posted about it a couple of times. "They" = me.

FYI I listened to Askrens podcast today and he said the exact same thing regarding the double boots ride Daton was using. Askren knows a little bit about riding and he said it is nothing more than a stall ride.

Any link with timestamp?

Surprises me that Askren would call out his little brother like that. (I can't disassociate the two in my mind with their hair)

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

Slush and others have commented on it. Reasoning being that it can cause shoulder injuries b/c of the leverage. No idea if it's actually illegal or not. Would be nice to know for certain.

All right, I took some time to dig through the rule books. I could not find anything about double-boots-with-power-half being illegal, per se. That is, no penalty if attempted.

However, I believe the interpretation is a potentially dangerous call. Going back as far as 2011 (when wrestling was invented), the rule books through the 2016-17 season illustrate the maneuver as potentially dangerous in Figure 88 (accompanied by Fig. 87 showing single-boot-power-half). Interestingly, they dropped that Figure 88 in the latest rule book, now showing only the single-boot-power-half (as Figure 90).

At some point, I swear the double-boots-power-half had an interpretation change such that it was an automatic stoppage for PD. The fact we never see it attempted anymore, and that they don't even illustrate it in the rule book anymore, is telling (IMO). And I distinctly remember being pissed when the new emphasis came out.

EDIT: In the 2009-10/2010-11 rule book, the pertinent figures are No. 89 and 90. There, the caption reads, "The defensive wrestler is unable to move his hip (88) or hips (89) to relieve the pressure on his shoulder." I think the (88) and (89) are typos, meant to be (89) and (90), respectively.

The same 2 figures are in the 2007-08/2008-09 rule book as No. 86 and 87, but their caption reads the same as for 2011-2017.

Last edited:
Starts about the 17:30 mark.

Nice thanks for sharing. Askren who knows a helluva lot more about wrestling than me said the same exact thing that I said a few days ago. - There's basically only 1 move with double legs in - power half and he said they're going to call that PD 80-90% of the time.

And Nomad's latest comment on twitter is a snide comment about HR claiming it's stalling. Hmm their former employee who knows a lot more about wrestling than Nomad agrees with HR. What's up Nomad? ;)

Nice thanks for sharing. Askren who knows a helluva lot more about wrestling than me said the same exact thing that I said a few days ago. - There's basically only 1 move with double legs in - power half and he said they're going to call that PD 80-90% of the time.

And Nomad's latest comment on twitter is a snide comment about HR claiming it's stalling. Hmm their former employee who knows a lot more about wrestling than Nomad agrees with HR. What's up Nomad? ;)

I went and looked to see what Nomad said and I'm not surprised. The comments were even worse. That Doug Fisher douche bag said "If you think Fix was stalling on top then you need medical treatment. And that is coming from me who was cheering for Austin." Guess Askren needs medical treatment.

It’s not exciting. It’s the complete opposite so need to get rid of it.
the footage of Perry double boot riding out Evans in the ncaas semis isn’t going to be shown in any highlight reels.
I’d say the same thing if Hawks were doing it all the time, but they rarely do if ever.

I went and looked to see what Nomad said and I'm not surprised. The comments were even worse. That Doug Fisher douche bag said "If you think Fix was stalling on top then you need medical treatment. And that is coming from me who was cheering for Austin." Guess Askren needs medical treatment.

But, he’s a model!!!

(you know Iowa would be cheering for stalling if their guy was on top in Carver)[/QUOTE]

I disagree, right outside is a constant reminder. The Statue of Dan Gable calling stalling.
Except its actually Gable calling it on his own wrestler, which most Iowa fans know and appreciate.
Spend enough time on the board and you'll see how much we cant stand seeing our own wrestlers not attacking the opposition. When stalling is called on an Iowa wrestler, most of us would agree its warranted and more importantly we dont want guys not attacking scoring points.

All right, I took some time to dig through the rule books. I could not find anything about double-boots-with-power-half being illegal, per se. That is, no penalty if attempted.

However, I believe the interpretation is a potentially dangerous call. Going back as far as 2011 (when wrestling was invented), the rule books through the 2016-17 season illustrate the maneuver as potentially dangerous in Figure 88 (accompanied by Fig. 87 showing single-boot-power-half). Interestingly, they dropped that Figure 88 in the latest rule book, now showing only the single-boot-power-half (as Figure 90).

At some point, I swear the double-boots-power-half had an interpretation change such that it was an automatic stoppage for PD. The fact we never see it attempted anymore, and that they don't even illustrate it in the rule book anymore, is telling (IMO). And I distinctly remember being pissed when the new emphasis came out.

EDIT: In the 2009-10/2010-11 rule book, the pertinent figures are No. 89 and 90. There, the caption reads, "The defensive wrestler is unable to move his hip (88) or hips (89) to relieve the pressure on his shoulder." I think the (88) and (89) are typos, meant to be (89) and (90), respectively.

The same 2 figures are in the 2007-08/2008-09 rule book as No. 86 and 87, but their caption reads the same as for 2011-2017.
Nice, thanks. I had conferences (real ones at a school ha..) and totally forgot to look it up. And trust me, I had the time...

Reactions: slushhead
Start each period from neutral. Earn a TD and ride all you want.... Double boots, head and arm, grab an ankle, whatever. The core of the sport is takedowns, period. Refs can just stand back and watch the top man stall his ass off as long as the top position is EARNED!

Either get rid of riding time or only award it IF you’ve turned your opponent for backs from top. Or just get rid of it all together as this would probably just add confusion to the casual fan.

I used to want refs to just call stalling on the edge like it should be, but they’ve shown they’re not competent enough to do so, so just install the push out. First time is warning, second time is stalling. Black and white. No grey area.

This would improve the product by leaps and bounds, IMHO.

I don't remember which match, but yesterday I saw stalling called very quickly when someone got double boots in, once he arched his back and hips down. He'd been riding the ankle a lot and the leg ride was clearly gong no where. But once he was clearly just holding bottom guy down, he got called. Was good to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT