ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Mulvey?

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
Is he still on the team? I can remember him playing about five minutes in the past two years. He's tall and decently athletic. The Hawks need help on the boards and defending the post. I like Krikke's game but he is undersized and Freeman is still young. Dembele is getting a lot more playing time lately and has perhaps the most upside of the young players. Seems like a guy like Mulvey could step in and contribute a few minutes here or there. Right now he is MIA.

He is redshirting. He played a few minutes in the exhibition game vs Quincy. Many feel that he is portal bound after the season. He is noticeable on the bench during most games cheering on the team.

yes, he is still on the team, but redshirting this year is my understanding. Some say he is redshirting to transfer next year, but not sure anyone has the facts. One thing is for sure he is taking a scholarship and unless he has dramatically improved it has been a wasted scholarship to-date. JMO

Yes, Fran won a recruitment for Riley age as of now 21, convincing him to come to Iowa after graduating after his junior year in high school, skipping his senior year. Virginia Tech, Syracuse, and Penn State along with a hand full of mid major programs were actively recruiting him.
Saw action in a handful of games his freshmen and sophomore seasons and asked to be redshirted this year to have 2 years remaining.
After all that Iowa has investing in his development, some on here think he's going to jump to the portal and look elsewhere for playing time. lol He doesn't seem too disappointed in being here.
Don't be surprised if he turns up as the starting center/forward along side Owen next year. Rag on him all you want, but as I've said you can't teach height, length, rebounding ability, scoring, runs the floor, and has the potential to be a good shot blocker. That's all I'm going to say, but carry on with your distaste for the young man.

I haven't seen anything from Mulvey yet that I would describe as athletic. He is 6'11", so there's that.
I'm thinking he'll move down to a slightly lower level, but who knows.

I haven't seen anything from Mulvey yet that I would describe as athletic. He is 6'11", so there's that.
I'm thinking he'll move down to a slightly lower level, but who knows.
Athletic? No. But he is coordinated. Which is almost as good for a 7 footer. If he applied himself he’d be decent.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
He should transfer to a mid major so we can get immediate impact player from the portal.
You realize that Fran has never brought in an impact player from the portal, they all have had 1 or more issues, can't defend, can't jump, can't shoot, can't hit free throws. Not expecting him to bring a player like A.J. Storr or a Lance Jones to Iowa anytime soon.

He never looked that good or that bad in the few minutes he has played in. But it's hard to believe that as good as everyone believes Fran is in developing players. And with the bigs he's had to go against in practice for the past few years. Well, it wouldn't be a stretch to think he couldn't be a contributor, next year. Watching his high school games on youtube, he did look like he had some decent hops, good timing when blocking shots, and good shooting touch. As illqchawk said, "you can't teach height, or length". All the best teams in the country have 7 footers on their teams. I have no problem hoping Riley surprises us all.

Mulvey has shown a slight hint at potential but in the minor opportunities he had, he usually got yanked quickly. I think he was often making mistakes on where he needed to be spacing wise or what to do on screens. Obviously not all that productive scoring. But you could tell he could develop into someone productive on the boards. Looked capable of foot work needed to get good looks in paint.

Bowen has shown more potential than Mulvey but have some similar stories in not making the most of their game time.

I’d be alright if he stayed if he believes in himself and pushes him self to earn minutes next year. But even Evan Bruan is decent competition for minutes he wants to earn, without even considering additional recruits.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
yes, he is still on the team, but redshirting this year is my understanding. Some say he is redshirting to transfer next year, but not sure anyone has the facts. One thing is for sure he is taking a scholarship and unless he has dramatically improved it has been a wasted scholarship to-date. JMO
Maybe he's a good gray team prospect.

Yes, Fran won a recruitment for Riley age as of now 21, convincing him to come to Iowa after graduating after his junior year in high school, skipping his senior year. Virginia Tech, Syracuse, and Penn State along with a hand full of mid major programs were actively recruiting him.
Saw action in a handful of games his freshmen and sophomore seasons and asked to be redshirted this year to have 2 years remaining.
After all that Iowa has investing in his development, some on here think he's going to jump to the portal and look elsewhere for playing time. lol He doesn't seem too disappointed in being here.
Don't be surprised if he turns up as the starting center/forward along side Owen next year. Rag on him all you want, but as I've said you can't teach height, length, rebounding ability, scoring, runs the floor, and has the potential to be a good shot blocker. That's all I'm going to say, but carry on with your distaste for the young man.
I will be very surprised if Dembele or Koch is not starting at 4. Mulvey always seemed to have stage fright when he played, but he has great length and can run very well. Shot blocking was his thing in HS. I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge as a decent back up center, but I would be shocked to see him start. Owen needs to add 10-20 pounds of muscle, because he is going to be at center at least the majority of the time.

Rebraca dis agress

Rebracca wasn't that impactfull until his 2nd year when both his offense and defense got a lot better.

Freeman has had problem staying out of foul trouble vs some of the B1G giants. I think it makes sense to have a 7 foot guy on the roster to matchup some teams. Mulvey has shown some ability to block shots and rebound. Purdue with Eddy outrebounded us by 20 rebounds. Indiana 7fter Kelel Ware did pretty well against us . Minnesota Garcia had 31 pts. Even the OSU freshman 7'0 had good game against us.

All that said, Fran hasn't shown much interest to play guys for defensive matchup reasons.

I think next season is going to be really fun. Finally get his kids off the team and really see what Fran has to offer. Get a kid or 2 in the portal, really interested in how that goes.

I will be very surprised if Dembele or Koch is not starting at 4. Mulvey always seemed to have stage fright when he played, but he has great length and can run very well. Shot blocking was his thing in HS. I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge as a decent back up center, but I would be shocked to see him start. Owen needs to add 10-20 pounds of muscle, because he is going to be at center at least the majority of the time.
Koch is skinny as a straw and will not be physically ready to play the 4 in the Big next year. I think you see Sandfort or Dembele there.

Freeman will put on 15 pounds and will be more than ready to fully defend the 5 next year. Especially with Eddy gone.

Rebracca wasn't that impactfull until his 2nd year when both his offense and defense got a lot better.

Freeman has had problem staying out of foul trouble vs some of the B1G giants. I think it makes sense to have a 7 foot guy on the roster to matchup some teams. Mulvey has shown some ability to block shots and rebound. Purdue with Eddy outrebounded us by 20 rebounds. Indiana 7fter Kelel Ware did pretty well against us . Minnesota Garcia had 31 pts. Even the OSU freshman 7'0 had good game against us.

All that said, Fran hasn't shown much interest to play guys for defensive matchup reasons.
3rd Team All Big Ten is certainly impactful and it matters not when he got the award.

Koch is skinny as a straw and will not be physically ready to play the 4 in the Big next year. I think you see Sandfort or Dembele there.

Freeman will put on 15 pounds and will be more than ready to fully defend the 5 next year. Especially with Eddy gone.
Most freshmen aren't ready physically for B1G level of play. Personally, I hope the starting lineup is Freeman, Dembele, Payton, Perkins and Dix. That could be a really good team on both ends of the court. I haven't seen him play, but Koch reportedly has the "want to" to rebound and play some near the basket, but is mostly a great shooter. He is likely to be a really good stretch 4 when he fills out a little, which can start in the next 6 months. If Mulvey can give us 10-15 min, it would give Fran flexibility to play Owen a little at 4. Payton is a 3, not a 4 and not a 2. We need Tony back, so Fran doesn't get the idea that the Sandfort bros are quick enough to play guard, except rare match ups. If Tony doesn't come back, we need to find a guard in the portal, preferably a combo guard.

I think Pryce can play the off guard and some small forward, but he has to get his confidence back along with Bowen, Harding, and I can only hope that Freeman can expand his range next year. Until they do, Iowa is going to be up and down again next year.
The one improvement I want to see from Iowa next year is on defense, I want to see less hedging and help defense that leave shooters wide open for uncontested 3's. This flaw has been a staple of Iowa's defense for for as long as Fran has been at Iowa, it has to change if Iowa is going to become a force at the top of the Big Ten standings, especially now that the Big Ten is adding four new teams in USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Is he still on the team? I can remember him playing about five minutes in the past two years. He's tall and decently athletic. The Hawks need help on the boards and defending the post. I like Krikke's game but he is undersized and Freeman is still young. Dembele is getting a lot more playing time lately and has perhaps the most upside of the young players. Seems like a guy like Mulvey could step in and contribute a few minutes here or there. Right now he is MIA.
Riley almost played 14 minutes in the game against Michigan on January 12th 2023 and because of that Iowa would not have won that game in overtime. He held he own against Hunter Dickinson and scored 4 points, one of which was a grab off of a fast break basket in the first half, the other a put back in the second half, contested shots, rebounded and set screens for his teammates.
Did he have lapses on defense, sure his lack of playing time probably was a reason for that, but he showed me enough that there is potential there. We'll see.

Last edited:
You realize that Fran has never brought in an impact player from the portal, they all have had 1 or more issues, can't defend, can't jump, can't shoot, can't hit free throws. Not expecting him to bring a player like A.J. Storr or a Lance Jones to Iowa anytime soon.
Plenty of players on every college team have 1 or more issues.

Most freshmen aren't ready physically for B1G level of play. Personally, I hope the starting lineup is Freeman, Dembele, Payton, Perkins and Dix. That could be a really good team on both ends of the court. I haven't seen him play, but Koch reportedly has the "want to" to rebound and play some near the basket, but is mostly a great shooter. He is likely to be a really good stretch 4 when he fills out a little, which can start in the next 6 months. If Mulvey can give us 10-15 min, it would give Fran flexibility to play Owen a little at 4. Payton is a 3, not a 4 and not a 2. We need Tony back, so Fran doesn't get the idea that the Sandfort bros are quick enough to play guard, except rare match ups. If Tony doesn't come back, we need to find a guard in the portal, preferably a combo guard.
I thought Perkins wasn't coming back? I may be way behind ;)

I thought Rebracca was way more than serviceable. In fact in his 2nd year he was fantastic in my mind.

Last edited:
I liked Rebracca. Mulvey is no Rebracca. I have seen junior college players much more talented
You're right, Mulvey will be even better then Rebraca and a heck of a lot more athletic. He won't have to struggle against players that are 3 or 4 inches taller and heavier.
Hey, I liked Filip, but as an undersized center, he did the best he could, not a great shooter and his free throw percentage was not that great.
It's too bad all you naysayers are too lazy to look up Riley's high school videos, he shows a lot of athleticism, but continue to bury your heads in the sand and spout nonsense because he hasn't seen much action, so you assume he must not be very good. Lazy SOB's

You're right, Mulvey will be even better then Rebraca and a heck of a lot more athletic. He won't have to struggle against players that are 3 or 4 inches taller and heavier.
Hey, I liked Filip, but as an undersized center, he did the best he could, not a great shooter and his free throw percentage was not that great.
It's too bad all you naysayers are too lazy to look up Riley's high school videos, he shows a lot of athleticism, but continue to bury your heads in the sand and spout nonsense because he hasn't seen much action, so you assume he must not be very good. Lazy SOB's
Youre not lazy because you watched some highschool highlights?

Theres a big difference between potential and living up to your potential. Not doing the latter happens ALL the time. Filip actually met his potential and was key to helping last years roster make the ncaa tournament. Youre not going to convince anyone that Riley is better than Rebraca because of some highschool highlights.

I agree he could still have an opportunity to put up some decent numbers next year. But not too many college basketball players sit for 2 seasons, redshirt, and then suddenly have a breakout year. He could be key off the bench next year if he stays, but would he want that after being here 3 years?

Have no real knowledge of Mulvey's potential but young big men often take longer to develop physically and coordination wise. Does anybody remember the delayed development of Kevin Kunnert, Les Jepson, Brad Lohaus??? We don't remember their very unremarkable underclassmen years. But they surprised and all ended up making big impact. Mulvey may or may not develop. I hope he does.

He hasn't seen much action for a reason...

Huh? I think Rebraca was third team all B1G. Mulvey did sound good coming out of HS, but except for maybe 2 games, he looked lost on the court. That could change, and he does have length and athleticism, but he will never be even honorable mention all B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT