ADVERTISEMENT

RIP in peace OJ

IULW7I.gif

I just remember being so pissed because I was a Houston Rockets fan and they interrupted the Rockets-Knicks NBA final game to switch over to the slow speed Bronco chase. They took an NBA finals game off the air to show it! That is crazy when you think about it.
No it was the Bulls vs NY?!

for once a black guy doesn't get incarcerated but everyone's sure he did it? why is his acquittal considered farcical? i know the trial was followed closely by the public but at the time i wasn't in a position to pay any attention at all.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
It was the Rockets. Pretty sure they put it in the bottom corner of the chase lol

Lots of sports that day
You're right! This just totally jogged a part of the memory that I'd forgotten. They did put it in a small box in the corner of the screen!

Reactions: ericram
for once a black guy doesn't get incarcerated but everyone's sure he did it? why is his acquittal considered farcical? i know the trial was followed closely by the public but at the time i wasn't in a position to pay any attention at all.
Highly recommend Made In American documentary that ESPN did a few years back. They obviously spend a great deal of time on the trial itself, mistakes made by the prosecutors, odd decisions made by the judge, etc.

After watching it, I’m convinced that even had the prosecutors presented an airtight case he’d have still been acquitted due to everything else surrounding the case. His popularity, history of racial problems with the LAPD etc.

Highly recommend Made In American documentary that ESPN did a few years back. They obviously spend a great deal of time on the trial itself, mistakes made by the prosecutors, odd decisions made by the judge, etc.

After watching it, I’m convinced that even had the prosecutors presented an airtight case he’d have still been acquitted due to everything else surrounding the case. His popularity, history of racial problems with the LAPD etc.
It was over as soon as Ito let the Furman tapes in. It's too bad both him and OJ couldn't go to jail together.

A legit argument can be made that the arrest and trial that followed perhaps marked the beginning of the end of America due to its impact on how we cover news. It began the long slide of news more focused on entertainment and other stupid issues instead of more important items. Worse, the ratings and profit changed the landscape for tv and cable news to see the profit in less news and more argumentative speculation and argument type programming. News became entertainment, cliff notes.
Nah, it had already gone into the toilet, and CourtTV really didn't have a very long life after that.

I will say though, I will never forget the day the verdict was read. Here at work, they had a big tv on in the conference room, and the place was packed. Probably a pretty even racial split among the group. When the verdict was read, the AA folks burst into applause, and the white folks sorta shook their heads and went back to their offices. A truly eye-opening and troubling experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT