ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky Jordan

Maybe I missed it but, how has Mabe's in Decorah not been mentioned? The chicken cordon bleu is life changing.

Also Otto's in Portland, Maine is right at the top of the heap.
Can vouch for Mabe's being better than any with the exception of Pagliai's in Iowa City or Rastrelli's Clinton, or Geno's in Preston....had them all and Casey's is behind all of the above.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
The original Pagliais is in Grinnell, fantastic pizza. There is a place in Colfax, Papa Giorgios, they use Grazianos sausage, not far behind Pagliais. They are both far better than Caseys.
The original is and always has been in Iowa City where the family has always resided.

You don't get better pizza than New York!!! except maybe Italy. Then there's that thing they call pizza in Chicago :rolleyes:
Fail

348s.jpg

Giordanos (Chi-town) rules

348s.jpg

It's pointless for fans to try to budget schollies when we have no idea who's getting what from year to year between 30-40 guys. I'm also not sure why you would hope Costello is getting no money. Until it becomes known that Brands lost a top recruit because there wasn't enough money to go around why would any of us want to limit how much the program helps a student athlete pay for school?

FTR, I want them all to get "full rides". I know that they don't all get "full rides" right now, so until then I hope each and every one of them gets as much as the program can afford to give them. None of us have any idea how much that is from year to year.

It is pointless to try and predict who is going to win a tournament, or who is going to win a dual, or who is going to commit to which school. Forums are not for discussion of possibilities or hypothetical situations. Forums are only for discussing results after they occur. Everything, else is just speculation and is pointless.

Wait... no. Speculation, predictions, and different opinions is exactly what forums are about. Plus, unless you are an idiot, some information is available. Then, people can make some educated guesses about how the 9.9 is distributed.

What about when wrestlers announce how much of a scholarship they are getting, like Nevills did this year. Or what about when a self absorbed parent of a wrestler releases that information, or someone else with knowledge of the scholarship numbers. I hate to break it to you, but scholarships numbers aren't as protected as you might think and quite a few people handle that paperwork, some people do in fact know. They may not be public information, but there are several indicators at some schools of whether or not you are receiving scholarship dollars or not, much more apparent in "Full Ride" sports like football, but it still happens in wrestling. Also, people can speculate with a certain degree of accuracy without any inside information what so ever. Also, one can look over a roster and make an educated guess if the program has a lot of money left in the bank or if they are working with very little wiggle room. For instance, the program I follow the closest, Northwestern, has a tremendous amount of their 9.9 available right now. How do I know that? No one made a public announcement of that. However, look at that roster. Look at who left. Look at who they are recruiting. Available scholarships are not the problem there.

It is only pointless to people who are too incompetent or too self righteous to form an educated guess and put it out there for other people to evaluate. Obviously, we don't know the exact numbers, but that is what makes discussions on a forum interesting. If you only want to discuss things that are blank and white, settled, with no variables, you are in the wrong place. The surplus of possible outcomes is what makes wrestling fun and that includes on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
Hey NYwrestler, is there any recruiting lean on/from Nick Raimo?
Jersey's not really my neck of the woods (obviously lol) and a lot of my intel on the NY/NJ/ PA guys is from my old man who's got a bit more free time than I do when he chooses. I haven't really heard where or if Raimo is leaning anywhere but I certainly can try to find out, unless of course another poster would like to dish out that info :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaybird319
Maybe some of the PA guys will chime in. He's a soph so it's a little early. I've watched him a Fargo, I can't wait to see his ceiling

Jersey's not really my neck of the woods (obviously lol) and a lot of my intel on the NY/NJ/ PA guys is from my old man who's got a bit more free time than I do when he chooses. I haven't really heard where or if Raimo is leaning anywhere but I can certainly can try to find out, unless of course another poster would like to dish out that info :D

Your my east coast resource:rolleyes:

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Your my east coast resource:rolleyes:
always happy to help when I can :D, and I think his ceiling is pretty high. Another guy I'd say to be on the look out for is Jakob Camacho from Connecticut. From the summer throughout the season you could see the leaps and bounds he made. He beat some pretty good guys at some off season tournaments and I had him picked to beat Busiello at eastern states which he went on to do. Kids definitely got some tremendous upside

Reactions: ILhawk41
No Mabes from you, scratching my head here

Mabes is delicious, don't get me wrong, but I guess since the in-laws live there I get my fill quite often, so I don't have that "must have" desire that some others feel.

I would throw Zoey's (in Marion) in the mix for deep dish, also Felix and Oscars (in Urbandale). Leonardo's in CR used to have really good thin crust, but it's gone downhill the last couple of years.

I wouldn't turn down any of them.

I know ur feeling on Mabes, I ate there often as kid/teenager.

My girlfriend(wife) work at Zoeys for a year, had my share of Chicago style.

The original is and always has been in Iowa City where the family has always resided.

The one in Grinnell has been open since 1957, the same year that the one in Ames went to the Pagliais name. I doubt that the one in Iowa City is older than that one.

Some of you need to expand your pizza experiences if you think Casey's is the best. For chain pizza's I'd take Happy Joe's over Casey's any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays;)
happy joes is the best. they still around? rolled dough for them in the mid 70's. wonder if i could get some of their sauce for my homemade pizza.

Does Casey's even roll out their own dough in shop or does it arrive frozen?

Last edited:
Reactions: WDuck5217
Maybe I missed it but, how has Mabe's in Decorah not been mentioned? The chicken cordon bleu is life changing.

Also Otto's in Portland, Maine is right at the top of the heap.
We used to have a Mabe's in downtown Spencer way back when, LOVED that place. I'm assuming it's a similar deal/style in Decorah (guess I don't know if it's considered a chain of any kind, or same owners, etc.).

They also had a place at the Clay County Fair, and after they closed downtown they kept the spot at the Fair running for a few years I believe. I went out there to buy several Mabe's Pizza's to take home with me one year, and that was the year they were no longer open! Huge Bummer.

It's only 172 miles from my place to Mabe's in Decorah. Better get the Buick gassed up! :)

As a life long Chicagoan, I'm not willing to concede best pizza to New York. I can't even begin to wrap my head around going to Iowa for the best pizza on the planet.
tenor.gif

So, a little history before my pizza response. I grew up in Iowa eating Casey's pizza, lived there for 19 years. I have now been in the Chicago Illinois suburbs for 18 years.

Iowa the people are much better, so many that would give you the shirt off your back and help a neighbor out, more gossip because of the small town I lived in though. Illinois has great people to, just not to the percentage that Iowa does. If you are from Iowa you can fix anything or have a friend that can. If you are from Chicago and the power goes out, unless the power company fixes it, you may die. Just a huge difference in life skills. Take an Iowa or rural person in a life or death situation over a city person, every day of the week.

Pizza, so where I live we have probably 30 plus places to order pizza from in a 10 mile radius. They don't go out of business for a reason. Take your pick, as they smash Casey's pizza hands down. My picks for this Area are Clem's (one of a kind), Vita Bella, and Nancy's. I have been here so long and can say I haven't even came close to eating at all the places.

Chicago Pizza All the way! It is almost all we have, we do have some good high school wrestling around here though too.

It is pointless to try and predict who is going to win a tournament, or who is going to win a dual, or who is going to commit to which school. Forums are not for discussion of possibilities or hypothetical situations. Forums are only for discussing results after they occur. Everything, else is just speculation and is pointless.

Wait... no. Speculation, predictions, and different opinions is exactly what forums are about. Plus, unless you are an idiot, some information is available. Then, people can make some educated guesses about how the 9.9 is distributed.

What about when wrestlers announce how much of a scholarship they are getting, like Nevills did this year. Or what about when a self absorbed parent of a wrestler releases that information, or someone else with knowledge of the scholarship numbers. I hate to break it to you, but scholarships numbers aren't as protected as you might think and quite a few people handle that paperwork, some people do in fact know. They may not be public information, but there are several indicators at some schools of whether or not you are receiving scholarship dollars or not, much more apparent in "Full Ride" sports like football, but it still happens in wrestling. Also, people can speculate with a certain degree of accuracy without any inside information what so ever. Also, one can look over a roster and make an educated guess if the program has a lot of money left in the bank or if they are working with very little wiggle room. For instance, the program I follow the closest, Northwestern, has a tremendous amount of their 9.9 available right now. How do I know that? No one made a public announcement of that. However, look at that roster. Look at who left. Look at who they are recruiting. Available scholarships are not the problem there.

It is only pointless to people who are too incompetent or too self righteous to form an educated guess and put it out there for other people to evaluate. Obviously, we don't know the exact numbers, but that is what makes discussions on a forum interesting. If you only want to discuss things that are blank and white, settled, with no variables, you are in the wrong place. The surplus of possible outcomes is what makes wrestling fun and that includes on the recruiting trail.
Speculating about scholarship allocation is not comparable to predicting tournament/match results. Either you get that or you don't so I won't explain why.

I know not all scholarship info is a closely guarded secret. Even if you knew what half of the starters were getting the rest is an impossibly puzzle to piece together without all the pieces. Those that have all the pieces don't have the need to speculate about it on message boards.
Every kid/situation is different. I know there are kids on the current roster that were not as highly ranked at their weight class as Stoll or Costello who were offered close to a "full ride". Yet the poster I responded to has Stoll slotted at half and Costello at nothing. Based on what? Using that arbitrary half number, there are kids the consensus of HR expect to start that fall on both sides of that line as well as kids that the consensus don't expect to start that fall on both sides. Again each kid/situation is different with a lot of them having fluid schollies from year to year. Knowing that NU likely has some scholarship money to spread around doesn't let you know who's currently getting what or how the money would have to be divided to bring a certain kid or kids in.
I concern myself with who coaches recruit, bring in and are on the roster. As I said before, until Brands loses a top recruit because there is not enough money to go around I'll leave it to coaches to allocate the money as they see fit. Just a peeve of mine. We can agree to disagree about it. I can't and won't stop anybody from playing fantasy GM. But I will call it out as pointless from time to time... especially if it's coupled with a hope that some kid is getting nothing for no other reason than it doesn't work with the fantasy numbers some dude pulled outta his arse.

I would throw Zoey's (in Marion) in the mix for deep dish, also Felix and Oscars (in Urbandale). Leonardo's in CR used to have really good thin crust, but it's gone downhill the last couple of years.
A long time ago, there was a Felix and Oscars in downtown Iowa City. Good pizza. And if you ordered delivery, they would bring you a six-pack of beer.

I love pizza but decided not to eat the typical deliveries like PH and Dominos again. Down here, we have a lot of good pizza places so its nice to hear that the IC area will have a few.

And no one's even mentioned a Flying Tomato from the Wig n Pen yet... Or Falbos!

Reactions: Azchief32
Speculating about scholarship allocation is not comparable to predicting tournament/match results. Either you get that or you don't so I won't explain why.

I know not all scholarship info is a closely guarded secret. Even if you knew what half of the starters were getting the rest is an impossibly puzzle to piece together without all the pieces. Those that have all the pieces don't have the need to speculate about it on message boards.
Every kid/situation is different. I know there are kids on the current roster that were not as highly ranked at their weight class as Stoll or Costello who were offered close to a "full ride". Yet the poster I responded to has Stoll slotted at half and Costello at nothing. Based on what? Using that arbitrary half number, there are kids the consensus of HR expect to start that fall on both sides of that line as well as kids that the consensus don't expect to start that fall on both sides. Again each kid/situation is different with a lot of them having fluid schollies from year to year. Knowing that NU likely has some scholarship money to spread around doesn't let you know who's currently getting what or how the money would have to be divided to bring a certain kid or kids in.
I concern myself with who coaches recruit, bring in and are on the roster. As I said before, until Brands loses a top recruit because there is not enough money to go around I'll leave it to coaches to allocate the money as they see fit. Just a peeve of mine. We can agree to disagree about it. I can't and won't stop anybody from playing fantasy GM. But I will call it out as pointless from time to time... especially if it's coupled with a hope that some kid is getting nothing for no other reason than it doesn't work with the fantasy numbers some dude pulled outta his arse.
A peeve of mine is listening to you whine every time someone mentions scholarship money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT