ADVERTISEMENT

Roku issue

B1GDeal

HR Heisman
Jan 21, 2005
I’ve noticed on one of our TVs that the picture is a little blurry or something slightly off… more noticeable while watching sports. I’ve unplugged and plugged back in the Roku stick and that didn’t do anything. Played with the settings and that didn’t help either. I’m sure it’s the Roku because when using the smart tv app for YTTV the same game looks great, but when using the Roku it’s not. So, do these sticks wear out over time? I will say that a few times over the past year a warning saying the device is overheating pops up and it does feel pretty warm. Thought about replacing with a Roku box… but I don’t think YTTV would be available on new device. Any experts who’d know about this?

Is there a setting for resolution? Sometimes my Firestick will default to a lower resolution if I have it on Auto and I can go in and change it to 720p or whatever the highest is.

It’s set at 4K. It’s bizarre. Only started doing this the past week or so. Only thing I can think of is the cord or stick has degraded over time and the overheating???

Yes, the Roku device can wear out or break. I've replaced one in the past.

You can also do a system reboot, which is probably the same thing as unplugging it - but it doesn't hurt to try,

Yes, the Roku device can wear out or break. I've replaced one in the past.

You can also do a system reboot, which is probably the same thing as unplugging it - but it doesn't hurt to try,

This.

You can't leave a Roku plugged in 24/7 - it'll burn up after about a year. If you touch the box it'll be hot...all that heat over time takes a toll. This is why I wound up buying a smart TV for my living room (no Roku needed), and setting up my older bedroom etc TV's that use Roku's to where I could easily unplug the Roku after each use.

Never had an issue with Roku's burning up ever since. The 3 I use are all 2-3 years old and work just like new.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
just a random thought but it may be the HDMI cord that is bad. You might try just replacing that

Do Roku boxes do this too? I never unplug any of them. Wife prefers them over the built in smart functions and I do too since the Roku seems to be faster or something as the smart tv seems to be a few seconds delayed or something.

I reset them, toggled the resolution both in the Roku and tv. I know it’s the Roku because when using just the TVs smart functions the picture is fine.

Reactions: ericram
If I get a Roku box I won’t be able to add the YTTV app now will I due to their ongoing dispute, right?

Reactions: BelemNole
There are all kinds of streaming devices out there ranging from $30 to $300, if you're into gaming. If the new Roku doesn't play nicely with YTTV, all Android TV boxes do. Most of the Smart TV interfaces will lag a bit. You can pick up an Onn Android TV device from Walmart for $30 it's not going to last for years, but it's cheap.

No it's not YouTube TV it's YouTube channel that roku is dropping.
Yeah, I think you have that backwards. You can still access YouTube TV through the standard YouTube App, the YouTube TV app has been removed from the Roku Channel Store.

Reactions: ericram
However, if you like the Roku platform, just get a tcl tv. Good TV’s and affordable.

Roku is constantly releasing software updates, and from my experience, many times those updates will break the performance existing apps, so I'm wondering whether that is the issue.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Not sure about this— we have three Roku devices (none are sticks) and leave them all plugged in 24/7. They range from about 5-8 years old and never had a problem.

I own the Roku Express models, two basic ones and a 4k version. I also use the supplied power adaptors because older TV's USB ports won't necessarily supply the required power.

The one of mine that burned up, what occurred is at roughly the 10 month mark the unit would begin to need unplugging every day. It would freeze up, or the picture stream would "shift" with artifacts about 1-2 times per hour - like the HDMI output was slowly going out.

The Expresses are tiny little things, and have no venting slots...they get quite hot. Mine had a bit of a burned smell to it, too. Note that I plugged it into a pretty sweet rack style Panamax power conditioner, never had an issue with anything else plugged into it.

They are guaranteed a full year free replacement, so they sent me a free one after confirming the unit was toast, and suggested unplugging after use. Never had an issue since.

I own the Roku Express models, two basic ones and a 4k version. I also use the supplied power adaptors because older TV's USB ports won't necessarily supply the required power.

The one of mine that burned up, what occurred is at roughly the 10 month mark the unit would begin to need unplugging every day. It would freeze up, or the picture stream would "shift" with artifacts about 1-2 times per hour - like the HDMI output was slowly going out.

The Expresses are tiny little things, and have no venting slots...they get quite hot. Mine had a bit of a burned smell to it, too. Note that I plugged it into a pretty sweet rack style Panamax power conditioner, never had an issue with anything else plugged into it.

They are guaranteed a full year free replacement, so they sent me a free one after confirming the unit was toast, and suggested unplugging after use. Never had an issue since.
If you have them in enclosed cabinets I can see the issue. But it's unique.

If you have them in enclosed cabinets I can see the issue. But it's unique.

Nope. I don't use cabinets. I also don't mount them on TV's themselves.

All my stands are open style for ventilation. Lots of space between components so they stay relatively cool, no stacking, etc. I pull gear out and dust the stands every 6 months too.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Hell, I blow out my PC's every 3 months. I regularly use a 12 and a 13 year old PC...keeping them cool and clean is why they've lasted that long.

I wish they had a power on/off function is all. The 10 minute auto screen saver mode to me is a poor substitute. Leave it plugged in, the unit never shuts off.

Nope. I don't use cabinets. I also don't mount them on TV's themselves.

All my stands are open style for ventilation. Lots of space between components so they stay relatively cool, no stacking, etc. I pull gear out and dust the stands every 6 months too.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Hell, I blow out my PC's every 3 months. I regularly use a 12 and a 13 year old PC...keeping them cool and clean is why they've lasted that long.

I wish they had a power on/off function is all. The 10 minute auto screen saver mode to me is a poor substitute. Leave it plugged in, the unit never shuts off.
Seems like you have a unique issue. I've not seen or heard about this type of problem with Roku.

I’ve noticed on one of our TVs that the picture is a little blurry or something slightly off… more noticeable while watching sports. I’ve unplugged and plugged back in the Roku stick and that didn’t do anything. Played with the settings and that didn’t help either. I’m sure it’s the Roku because when using the smart tv app for YTTV the same game looks great, but when using the Roku it’s not. So, do these sticks wear out over time? I will say that a few times over the past year a warning saying the device is overheating pops up and it does feel pretty warm. Thought about replacing with a Roku box… but I don’t think YTTV would be available on new device. Any experts who’d know about this?
If you get a new roku device you'll still be able to get YTTV on it as long as you don't remove it from your current device. When you login the first time it will sync.

Make sure your roku is outputting a display setting that's right for your tv setting. Buy an ultra at Wal-Mart, they'll take it back of your not happy.

I just got a solid state drive PC for my TV that is just bigger than a cell phone with 2 HDMI ports and 4 USB. See ya Roku.

Reactions: Gimmered
Has anyone asked OP if he is still using a tube TV? Maybe that’s the problem 🤷‍♂️

You can get anything from Roku on a PC and YTTV works better on a PC on Chrome. Roku will have it tough now.
I have an iTV app from my provider that isn't available on a Roku, I used one some but have never been impressed with it. I have a Shield Pro, if I were to replace it, I might think about a PC.
My Mother-In-Law, (pic in the hot but dry thread) has a TCL Tv, it seems fine, I'm not shopping for TVs though.
My son runs a plex server on an old laptop, these would be much better for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT