ADVERTISEMENT

Got myself a roomba for Christmas this year.

luvmyhawks

HR Legend
Mar 22, 2005
Any of you got one of these things? I didn’t believe in the potential of this dumb robot to actually be able to clean my floors as I have a 100 pound Saint Bernard. A couple different clients of mine convinced me it works. I must say, as of now, this is the most fascinating little device I have come across and I have seen plenty of fascinating devices.

It spent the first 2 days just mapping the area while cleaning at times. Then it spits out its own map that it created to your app on your phone. It’s ****ing crazy how accurate the layout, with the naming of each room it does on its own, is. Now it is all set up for cleaning times and just kind of does its thing. Watching it, it knows it is about to hit the couch and makes the turn at the correct time and kicks on its little twirlers to get the shit out from under the couch. Fascinating.

Any of you got one of these things? I didn’t believe in the potential of this dumb robot to actually be able to clean my floors as I have a 100 pound Saint Bernard. A couple different clients of mine convinced me it works. I must say, as of now, this is the most fascinating little device I have come across and I have seen plenty of fascinating devices.

It spent the first 2 days just mapping the area while cleaning at times. Then it spits out its own map that it created to your app on your phone. It’s ****ing crazy how accurate the layout, with the naming of each room it does on its own, is. Now it is all set up for cleaning times and just kind of does its thing. Watching it, it knows it is about to hit the couch and makes the turn at the correct time and kicks on its little twirlers to get the shit out from under the couch. Fascinating.

What model? Cost?

haha…. Ain’t that the truth. And it does take forever to clean one floor. But still, it is… kind of cool how this little ****er works.
I got mine a couple years ago now - doesn't have that floor-mapping capability. Part of the reason I wanted it tho was to keep it on the first floor which is all laminated flooring and it's kinda disturbing quickly dust accumulates on that if you don't sweep regularly.

If/when my parents move out of their house into what they said will likely be a 1 floor condo, my house-warming gift will be one of these things. They're getting older and it would be a nice tool for them to have.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I got mine a couple years ago now - doesn't have that floor-mapping capability. Part of the reason I wanted it tho was to keep it on the first floor which is all laminated flooring and it's kinda disturbing quickly dust accumulates on that if you don't sweep regularly.

If/when my parents move out of their house into what they said will likely be a 1 floor condo, my house-warming gift will be one of these things. They're getting older and it would be a nice tool for them to have.

Do you still have it? Still work? Guess I will be a believer if this thing is still working and keeping the floors clean a month from now. The main reason I wanted it was to try to keep the dog hair as cleaned up as possible. Love the pooch, but damn.

The mapping is what is really cool and borderline creepy. lol. Plug the thing in, push a few buttons with a little direction from app and the little robot just wanders around the house for a day or two, digging under all the furniture and then… voila, a map of your house, accurately labeled room by room. Owners manual says if you make changes, just run the robot and it will naturally remap. Kind of crazy.

Again, we will see how this thing does for a month or so, but it ran the full cleaning schedule today and… impressive. My wife has been following this thing around for 2 days now saying it is the hardest working man in the house. (His name is Ricardo. Yes, you can name them and call for them to come clean up an area) I am starting to get concerned.

Anyway. One downside. It took Ricky almost 5 hours to clean one floor.

Have a split level and really just want one on the top floor. Carpet in bedrooms and hardwood floors everywhere else. Have been looking for a mid tier one that can can handle both well. Still reviewing options however.

We have a different brand but same features. It is pretty cool and a time saver.

Do you still have it? Still work? Guess I will be a believer if this thing is still working and keeping the floors clean a month from now. The main reason I wanted it was to try to keep the dog hair as cleaned up as possible. Love the pooch, but damn.

The mapping is what is really cool and borderline creepy. lol. Plug the thing in, push a few buttons with a little direction from app and the little robot just wanders around the house for a day or two, digging under all the furniture and then… voila, a map of your house, accurately labeled room by room. Owners manual says if you make changes, just run the robot and it will naturally remap. Kind of crazy.

Again, we will see how this thing does for a month or so, but it ran the full cleaning schedule today and… impressive. My wife has been following this thing around for 2 days now saying it is the hardest working man in the house. (His name is Ricardo. Yes, you can name them and call for them to come clean up an area) I am starting to get concerned.

Anyway. One downside. It took Ricky almost 5 hours to clean one floor.

Yes, mine still works.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I'm on my fourth robot vac. So far I've had:

• Xiaomi - chinese robot vacuum with lidar; this one was awesome and cheap but died after about 2 years and you have to ship parts from China
  • Neato Botvac D7 - had lidar but wasn't nearly as good as the xiomi at anything; died from dog poop; this was the worst overall vacuum for me; frequently sucking up cords or edges of rugs and would get stuck often
  • Roomba E5 - no mapping, ping pongs around the room randomly; I still have this one for the back patio, the garage, and spot cleaning
  • Roomba J7+ - uses camera for navigation; takes it longer to map and clean than the xiomi but it recognizes and avoids obstacles including dog poop and it has the auto emptying bin which is nice; solid overall vacuum robot

We’ve had one for 5+ years so none of the bells and whistles. Still really like it and picks up the loose dust and cat hair.

Not sure how they’re made now but if they still have the rollers on bottom, make sure you keep those things clean. If they get too much hair in them, they won’t pick up much at all.

Daughter has one,.. She also has two dogs, and this thing seems to do a pretty good job on the wood floors cleaning up dog hair...

I'm on my fourth robot vac. So far I've had:

• Xiaomi - chinese robot vacuum with lidar; this one was awesome and cheap but died after about 2 years and you have to ship parts from China
  • Neato Botvac D7 - had lidar but wasn't nearly as good as the xiomi at anything; died from dog poop; this was the worst overall vacuum for me; frequently sucking up cords or edges of rugs and would get stuck often
  • Roomba E5 - no mapping, ping pongs around the room randomly; I still have this one for the back patio, the garage, and spot cleaning
  • Roomba J7+ - uses camera for navigation; takes it longer to map and clean than the xiomi but it recognizes and avoids obstacles including dog poop and it has the auto emptying bin which is nice; solid overall vacuum robot

You let your dog poop in the house??? 👀

We had bad luck with ours. We went through 3 of them - all stopped working within months so we just gave up.

You let your dog poop in the house??? 👀

No. At the time, our dog was 14, she got sick and pooped in the dining room. The poop was small and most of the damage was to the vacuum itself although it did smear it around some. Of all the time we had her, she maybe had 2-3 accidents in the house. In the rare situation where that were to happen, I'd rather my vacuum have the ability to recognize and avoid.

• Sad
Reactions: Joes Place
No. At the time, our dog was 14, she got sick and pooped in the dining room. The poop was small and most of the damage was to the vacuum itself although it did smear it around some. Of all the time we had her, she maybe had 2-3 accidents in the house. In the rare situation where that were to happen, I'd rather my vacuum have the ability to recognize and avoid.

Will it avoid diarrhea?

Only had one accident by the dog at my place; came back from a fairly short (2-3 hour) work stint to find a sizeable puddle on the wood floor near the patio door. Poor guy had some digestion issues and held it in as long as possible, and just exploded there.

Could tell something was up when I came in from the garage - he was somewhat panicked that he'd done something bad. I just let him out to play in the yard while I got a pan and a spatula to scoop it into and then wipe/mop the rest up.

Thankfully, he was smart enough to avoid the area and not track it all over the place...did not think the walnut-brain would be that savvy...

Will it avoid diarrhea?

Only had one accident by the dog at my place; came back from a fairly short (2-3 hour) work stint to find a sizeable puddle on the wood floor near the patio door. Poor guy had some digestion issues and held it in as long as possible, and just exploded there.

Could tell something was up when I came in from the garage - he was somewhat panicked that he'd done something bad. I just let him out to play in the yard while I got a pan and a spatula to scoop it into and then wipe/mop the rest up.

Thankfully, he was smart enough to avoid the area and not track it all over the place...did not think the walnut-brain would be that savvy...

If it had some substance to it then I think it would avoid it but if it was straight liquid, likely not.

Most of the value for me with the obstacle detection/avoidance is for not sucking up cords or toys that my daughter leaves out. If it detects something in its path that isn't normally there, it stops to snap a picture and sends it to you, and then goes around the obstacle. It almost never gets stuck which is nice compared to the others I've had. Even the xiaomi got stuck sometimes as the lidar didn't detect stuff like cords.

If it detects something in its path that isn't normally there, it stops to snap a picture and sends it to you

Kewl....I can get a Roomba-level pic of the disaster on the way home next time, then..... 👀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT