ADVERTISEMENT

Roku issue

Looks cool. Roku has been good enough for our needs. The mini pc looks powerful but where does the rubber meet the road in improving your viewing experience? Pirating content?

No. The improvement is getting rid of some of the BS of these companies. Youtube not working on Roku, etc. Aggregators will be going away too.

No. The improvement is getting rid of some of the BS of these companies. Youtube not working on Roku, etc. Aggregators will be going away too.
Totally uniformed question here, but what would stop the app makers from up charging for PC compatibility? If they can do it to Roku, why not the software/hardware for PC’s?

Totally uniformed question here, but what would stop the app makers from up charging for PC compatibility? If they can do it to Roku, why not the software/hardware for PC’s?

To the Internet itself? There is no middle man then. Roku is a middle man that gathers it together(and then fights those they gather). A PC is direct to the provider via a browser. The difference now is that this PC has HDMI so I can use YTTV on the browser or HBO Max on the browser or ESPN+.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I don't think that's what is going on. Google, who owns YTTV wants user information about the users. At least that's part of it. They also steer the searches towards them making money.

To the Internet itself? There is no middle man then. Roku is a middle man that gathers it together(and then fights those they gather). A PC is direct to the provider via a browser. The difference now is that this PC has HDMI so I can use YTTV on the browser or HBO Max on the browser or ESPN+.
A big difference will be the user interface. Roku and FireTV have very easy mechanisms to maneuver between apps and channels. The PC will be much more cumbersome for most. The tech savvy will have little issue, but the average TV watcher probably will. Roku and FireTV won't be going away anytime soon.

Thanks, like I said I'm totally uniformed!

A big difference will be the user interface. Roku and FireTV have very easy mechanisms to maneuver between apps and channels. The PC will be much more cumbersome for most. The tech savvy will have little issue, but the average TV watcher probably will. Roku and FireTV won't be going away anytime soon.
You can put me in the camp of thinking Roku has an amazingly intuitive remote with a few big buttons, and a nice interface on screen. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that, but who knows, maybe I'm missing out on something way better...

Is there a setting for resolution? Sometimes my Firestick will default to a lower resolution if I have it on Auto and I can go in and change it to 720p or whatever the highest is.
On my 4K TV, live sports look terrible unless I go into the display settings in my Roku and change them to 4K 60hz. This turns off the HDR. It vastly improves the way the TV handles motion in sports. Unfortunately, the Roku defaults back to 4K 30hz HDR whenever I turn off the TV, and I have not been able to figure out how to override that. So every time I watch sports, I need to change the setting. Annoying.

You can put me in the camp of thinking Roku has an amazingly intuitive remote with a few big buttons, and a nice interface on screen. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that, but who knows, maybe I'm missing out on something way better...
I'm the guy that runs a code to choose my own launcher so I can customize my home screen to see the content that I want and not the ads that they want to push on me. I have no idea if Roku does that, but I know they're very limited on what you can change.
There also isn't an app for my provider in Roku, only on the Fire Stick or Android TV, so Roku isn't really an option.

A PC is really overkill, but with the added storage, it would make for a nice plex server. It's just amazing that we have come to the point where we have a pc the size of a Roku that you can plug into any TV anywhere and have your computer. Cool stuff for us 60+ crowd, that started on a Tandy.

Been watching NFL all day and the Roku picture today looks great while yesterday the college games looked slightly off and pixelated at times. Very weird.

Been watching NFL all day and the Roku picture today looks great while yesterday the college games looked slightly off and pixelated at times. Very weird.
Often depends on the channel. Fox, it seems, has a poor picture more often. And sometimes the audio doesn't sync with the picture.

On my 4K TV, live sports look terrible unless I go into the display settings in my Roku and change them to 4K 60hz. This turns off the HDR. It vastly improves the way the TV handles motion in sports. Unfortunately, the Roku defaults back to 4K 30hz HDR whenever I turn off the TV, and I have not been able to figure out how to override that. So every time I watch sports, I need to change the setting. Annoying.
This doesn’t sound right. Live sports look great on mine. Maybe there is an issue with the HDMI cord?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT