ADVERTISEMENT

Rosselli out at OU

Cradle_king27

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2023
Didn’t see this posted yet, mods can merge if it is.

Lou Rosselli is out as head coach at Oklahoma. Had only had 2 AAs in 7 years, plus 2 Covid year AAs.

OU is generally thought of as a pretty good wrestling job but I’m wondering if that’s no longer the case. Rosselli and Mark Cody could never get that program going and were both viewed as great hires. Oklahoma high school has decent talent but Okie State seems to get the majority of it, not sure about OU’s admin support for wrestling.

Some names they might be looking at to replace him - Storniolo from NW, Frayer from VT, Damion Hahn from SDSU, maybe Eric Guerrero?

Reactions: sweatybetty
Didn’t see this posted yet, mods can merge if it is.

Lou Rosselli is out as head coach at Oklahoma. Had only had 2 AAs in 7 years, plus 2 Covid year AAs.

OU is generally thought of as a pretty good wrestling job but I’m wondering if that’s no longer the case. Rosselli and Mark Cody could never get that program going and were both viewed as great hires. Oklahoma high school has decent talent but Okie State seems to get the majority of it, not sure about OU’s admin support for wrestling.

Some names they might be looking at to replace him - Storniolo from NW, Frayer from VT, Damion Hahn from SDSU, maybe Eric Guerrero?

Plenty of support from the admin. Rosselli just couldn't recruit. Development was way off what I thought he'd do - especially considering he ran the room at OU.

It's a great job. You're going to have to fight OkieSt for all instate recruits - but they're not doing so hot and the budget is good enough to recruit nationally.

My short List:
Frayer
Jon Reader
Adam Hall

and a big NO to Guerrero.

Oklahoma wrestling has become a black hole.

Hell, Big12 wrestling is a black hole.

The only way to see daylight is a few home run hires regarding HCs.

And the big name guys are likely already making more than what the Big12 programs are willing to pay.
BTW...would Buchanan be on the market?

Last edited:
And the big name guys are likely already making more than what the Big12 programs are willing to pay.
BTW...would Buchanan be on the market?
Rosselli made 170K last year at OU, that has to be in the top 15ish for D1 wrestling coaches.

Rosselli made 170K last year at OU, that has to be in the top 15ish for D1 wrestling coaches.
What I'm trying to say is the top assistants around the country are at, or above, what OU would pay. And guys like Askren, Taylor, Dake aren't probably interested.

Isn’t ncaa getting rid of the volunteer Assistant job? If so I would expect A lot of those guys who are gonna be out of the job to apply.

But they are adding/allowing another assistant position, so none of them should be out of a job.
This is my understanding. Wrestling staffs will have another countable coach who will be able to recruit on the road and not have the restrictions of a volunteer.

Reactions: MVPFAN and T8KUDWN
Oklahoma used to have a really strong following back in the Gable days. They are a shell of their former selves. Fanbase has really diminished. It hasn't helped that the B1G has clearly put a lot of distance between the Big 12. It has made recruiting even harder and your seeing that at OSU as well.

I’d think the short list is. Storliano, Frayer, Maple, Brewer, Teyon Ware, and maybe Mark Perry. I wonder if guys like Reader, Metcalf, and Morningstar would be interested in this position. Maybe Coleman Scott, Damion Hahn, or Kolat would be interested. I would think Teyon Ware would need to stay on staff if he’s the reason Buchanan transferred there.

I’d think the short list is. Storliano, Frayer, Maple, Brewer, Teyon Ware, and maybe Mark Perry. I wonder if guys like Reader, Metcalf, and Morningstar would be interested in this position. Maybe Coleman Scott, Damion Hahn, or Kolat would be interested. I would think Teyon Ware would need to stay on staff if he’s the reason Buchanan transferred there.

How about Schwab? Turned down ILL but would he be interested or would they be interested in him?

The Mark Perry rule...must be mentioned in every head coaching vacancy.

Stan Abel could sure recruit down to that boring town of Norman. He would know who to interview, or at least lend counsel to the winner of how to reach the people. " Come to the land of Milk and Honey" was his schtick.

a few rumors out there that Rob Koll is in the mix. Interesting that he wants out at Stanford so quickly.
Maybe not as nice as he had hoped. It's expensive as hell there and they tend to be forgotten in the big picture due to the geographic location.

Maybe not as nice as he had hoped. It's expensive as hell there and they tend to be forgotten in the big picture due to the geographic location.
Honestly, California sucks. And if part of the reason he wanted out of Cornell was due to their overreach and handling of covid, I highly doubt he is loving the social-political dynamic of California lol.

Last edited:
Honestly, California sucks. And if part of the reason he wanted out of Cornell was due to their overreach and handling of covid, I highly doubt he is loving the social-political dynamic of California lol.
I don’t disagree, had to have known that before he went out there though, pretty weird

I know this is the stupidest comment ever so you can blast me for it. Deserved.

The two biggest coaching hires in the past are generational talents from other programs (both being ISU) Gable and Cael. If I was the AD, the first call I would make would be Terry and Spencer. I'm sure there is no chance in hell, but you have to try. From Terry reportedly not wanting to be HC and a million other reasons this doesn't make sense, but if they have a big donor in the wings that willing to make this work, you would at least make the call.

And yes, I would hate it if it happened and don't think it ever even gets discussed.

I don’t disagree, had to have known that before he went out there though, pretty weird
5 years for 2.5 million is pretty good. Plus got him out of a situation that he did not want to be in. Stepping stone until another position opened up. To be clear I have no inside information, just spit-balling.

340155143_249882547436968_3224263813434748942_n.jpg
Fake news

I think Schwab's wife is on a mission trip in Uganda right now.. that would be quite the phone call discussion...

Over at the Intermat forums someone mentioned they heard Bill Zadick is going to take the OU position. Anyone else hear this? That would be a great hire imo. Bill has a good thing going in Colorado with USA wrestling. I wonder if the OU job would be a pay bump.

I’ll play….
I heard someone mention that they heard someone mention that they heard Mike Zadick…

What? That is brother is going to hire him as an assistant? Only then he might be safe from being fired after it happened at Iowa and Iowa State. Maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT