ADVERTISEMENT

Roundup is safe, but hemp drinks are ‘nefarious,’ in the Iowa Senate

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
There was a curious double feature playing in the Iowa Senate Tuesday.

First, senators approved legislation that would tighten regulation of products containing hemp and THC, the stuff that makes you high. The main target is hemp -infused seltzer drinks.

The bill would limit the products to 4 milligrams of THC per serving and 10 mg per package. It could have been worse if the buzzkill caucus had its way.

Sen. Dan Dawson, R-Council Bluffs, argued the bill is “desperately needed regulation” closing a loophole in Iowa’s hemp laws. Sen. Tom Shipley, R-Nodaway, contended businesses are exploiting the loophole with “nefarious motives.”

Sounds dangerous. It passed the Senate 31-18, with most of the no votes coming from Democrats, and is headed to Gov. Kim Reynolds’ desk. No one is going to get high on her watch.

Then the Senate turned its attention to legislation granting farm chemical companies legal liability protections against claims the companies failed to warn users of health effects, so long as the products carry required EPA labeling. It was approved on a 31-19 vote.

The bill was requested by the pharmaceutical and farm chemical giant Bayer. The company bought Monsanto in 2018 for $63 billion — at the time the largest cash-only deal in history — and inherited its most popular product Roundup.

Now Bayer is being pummeled by lawsuits alleging Roundup’s weed-killing chemical, glyphosate, causes cancer after prolonged exposure. Iowa would be the first state in the nation to grant Bayer’s wish for protection from litigation, including by famers.

The EPA has declared it’s unlikely glyphosate causes cancer. Republicans who backing the bill argued it’s safe as kittens and Bayer has no nefarious motives.

“There is no proven link between glyphosate and cancer,” said Senate President Amy Sinclair, delivering a passionate defense of Roundup. It’s greedy trial lawyers who are the real problem, driving up the cost of glyphosate.

But other research has come to a different conclusion on cancer risk. A University of Washington analysis, for example, found that long-term exposure increases the risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

As one defense attorney representing Roundup plaintiffs pointed out in 2020, Bayer makes Roundup while its pharmaceuticals division works on a treatment for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Science aside, the most basic issue at play is Iowans’ ability to go to court and seek damages from a product they believe harmed them. Why are we eager to hamper those claims to please an international conglomerate? We have judges and juries who are more than capable of rendering a fair verdict.

It’s hard enough to take on a large corporation without lawmakers putting a thumb on the scales of justice. When Bayer bought Monsanto, it had the help of lawyers from six large law firms to seal the deal.

And don’t shed a tear for Bayer. It bought Monsanto even after the World Health Organization’s International Research Agency on Cancer found that glyphosate is “probably carcinogenic to humans.”

So, hemp drinks are nefarious. Glyphosate is totally safe. Don’t worry, it all makes sense under the Golden Dome of Wisdom.

(319) 398-9262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

Politics is nothing more than a legalized (and less respectable) form of prostitution.

Back in Iowa, groups including the Agribusiness Association of Iowa and the Iowa Biotechnology Association have lobbied for the immunity bill. The Agribusiness Association of Iowa counts Bayer and all of the other largest pesticide manufacturers among its members and lists a Bayer employee as an “at-large director.” Bayer is also a member of the Iowa Biotechnology Association and holds a board seat.

Last year, the Agribusiness Association of Iowa hosted a “2023 kickoff fundraising reception” for Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig and two members of the Iowa legislature, Representative Mike Sexton and Senator Dawn Driscoll, both Republicans. Sexton has receivedcampaign donations from both Bayer and Syngenta during campaigns; Driscoll has received donations from Syngenta and the Agribusiness Association of Iowa’s PAC. Outside of the Senate, Driscoll works for an agribusiness consulting company that has worked with Syngenta as a client.

As chairs of the House and Senate agriculture committees, respectively, Sexton and Driscoll have helped move the bill forward in each chamber.

Neither Sexton nor Driscoll responded to requests for comment.

Secretary Naig’s communications director said the Secretary has not been involved with the pesticide immunity bills at all. But Austin Frerick, an Iowa-based agriculture policy expert and author of Barons, pointed to Naig’s resume as an example of how industry ties are commonplace and deeply rooted in Iowa’s state government.

Starting in 2000, Naig worked atCropLife America, the pesticide industry trade association, the Agribusiness Association of Iowa, and then the Iowa Biotechnology Association. From there, he went to work on government lobbying at Monsanto. In 2013, he was hired by the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship. When the top position became available in 2018, Governor Kim Reynolds, a Republican, appointed him.
(civileats.com)

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
So, and correct me if I’m wrong, but if it comes out in six months a maker of ag chemicals knew their product was unsafe and causes cancer they would be immune from liability in Iowa?

To anyone in this thread who uses Roundup for weeds in gardens and/or landscaped beds: if you haven’t tried Preen, you need to! It’s safe and one coating in the spring will prevent weeds for an entire year. Amazing product.

Yup, it's idiotic.
Also, can't Climbing Kites say each can is 2 servings? I guess maybe they already do, I haven't looked at that, I just drink a can. I recently saw they came out with a "Hot Batch" that was the highest I have seen. I chickened out and stuck with the 10mg.

Also, can't Climbing Kites say each can is 2 servings? I guess maybe they already do, I haven't looked at that, I just drink a can.
Good question, I'm not real sure. Lately the fiance no pics has been trying the ones from Field Day Brewing in North Liberty. I haven't tried one yet, but she says they're delicious, and hit a little differently (in a good way) than Climbing Kites.

Reactions: EasyHawk
There was a curious double feature playing in the Iowa Senate Tuesday.

First, senators approved legislation that would tighten regulation of products containing hemp and THC, the stuff that makes you high. The main target is hemp -infused seltzer drinks.

The bill would limit the products to 4 milligrams of THC per serving and 10 mg per package. It could have been worse if the buzzkill caucus had its way.

Sen. Dan Dawson, R-Council Bluffs, argued the bill is “desperately needed regulation” closing a loophole in Iowa’s hemp laws. Sen. Tom Shipley, R-Nodaway, contended businesses are exploiting the loophole with “nefarious motives.”

Sounds dangerous. It passed the Senate 31-18, with most of the no votes coming from Democrats, and is headed to Gov. Kim Reynolds’ desk. No one is going to get high on her watch.

Then the Senate turned its attention to legislation granting farm chemical companies legal liability protections against claims the companies failed to warn users of health effects, so long as the products carry required EPA labeling. It was approved on a 31-19 vote.

The bill was requested by the pharmaceutical and farm chemical giant Bayer. The company bought Monsanto in 2018 for $63 billion — at the time the largest cash-only deal in history — and inherited its most popular product Roundup.

Now Bayer is being pummeled by lawsuits alleging Roundup’s weed-killing chemical, glyphosate, causes cancer after prolonged exposure. Iowa would be the first state in the nation to grant Bayer’s wish for protection from litigation, including by famers.

The EPA has declared it’s unlikely glyphosate causes cancer. Republicans who backing the bill argued it’s safe as kittens and Bayer has no nefarious motives.

“There is no proven link between glyphosate and cancer,” said Senate President Amy Sinclair, delivering a passionate defense of Roundup. It’s greedy trial lawyers who are the real problem, driving up the cost of glyphosate.

But other research has come to a different conclusion on cancer risk. A University of Washington analysis, for example, found that long-term exposure increases the risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

As one defense attorney representing Roundup plaintiffs pointed out in 2020, Bayer makes Roundup while its pharmaceuticals division works on a treatment for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Science aside, the most basic issue at play is Iowans’ ability to go to court and seek damages from a product they believe harmed them. Why are we eager to hamper those claims to please an international conglomerate? We have judges and juries who are more than capable of rendering a fair verdict.

It’s hard enough to take on a large corporation without lawmakers putting a thumb on the scales of justice. When Bayer bought Monsanto, it had the help of lawyers from six large law firms to seal the deal.

And don’t shed a tear for Bayer. It bought Monsanto even after the World Health Organization’s International Research Agency on Cancer found that glyphosate is “probably carcinogenic to humans.”

So, hemp drinks are nefarious. Glyphosate is totally safe. Don’t worry, it all makes sense under the Golden Dome of Wisdom.

(319) 398-9262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

They don't even hide the fact that they are paid off.

To anyone in this thread who uses Roundup for weeds in gardens and/or landscaped beds: if you haven’t tried Preen, you need to! It’s safe and one coating in the spring will prevent weeds for an entire year. Amazing product.
Glyphosate and trifluralin are two very different products.

Also, can't Climbing Kites say each can is 2 servings? I guess maybe they already do, I haven't looked at that, I just drink a can. I recently saw they came out with a "Hot Batch" that was the highest I have seen. I chickened out and stuck with the 10mg.
Yup, just do the serving size to equal 10 mgs

NEFARIOUS

Dan_Dawson.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT