ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Marble Part of 10-person 2021 Iowa Hall of Fame Class

If the Hall is based on his athletic accomplishments, Roy absolutely deserves to be in. He held the Iowa scoring record for over 30 years.

Unfortunately, it seems as though every Hall of Fame (Baseball, Rock and Roll, etc) in the country has been diluted in recent years.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I didn't realize this thread was about him and was about the man being selected for the HOF? To be that kind of fact checker is kind of ridiculous. It's also why so many threads get derailed with needless BS.
giphy.gif

If we're going to hold moral turpitude as a factor, then it should be applied freely. There are plenty of Hawkeyes who did questionable things who were awarded. One can only guess why Roy wasn't but generally speaking Iowa teams are heavily white and Iowans in general don't like inner city players.
I like inner city players!

Reactions: GOHOX69
I do get it - it's called sarcasm but I understand that it probably went over your head. The GIF - the gift that never stops giving to those unable to articulate.
I'm not sure you know what sarcasm is. Oh, and stop bogging down this thread with ad hominem attacks and nonsensical drivel. It's posters like you that are the reason so many threads get derailed with needless horse excrement.

I'm not sure you know what sarcasm is. Oh, and stop bogging down this thread with ad hominem attacks and nonsensical drivel. It's posters like you that are the reason so many threads get derailed with needless horse excrement.
I'm not going to get in the middle of this spat, but I will say I like your Ren & Stimpy gif. What are those? Gritty Kitty Litter sandwiches?

probably give him above average marks ;)

But I just don't get all the push to retire a number of a player that never made 1st team all-conference?

In my mind, just a really good ball player that scored a lot of points on some really good Iowa teams. No BigTen championships, no Final Four (should have finished UNLV off and then who knows what happens?)

I think this honor is worthy of his accomplishments, i just can't get behind the retired number folks.

Disagree. It doesn't matter if Roy was ever first time all-conference. Look at some of the competition in the late 80's. Big 10 was more than a little stacked. Besides, it only matters what Roy accomplished in relation to other IOWA players. You start comparing to other Big Ten players, it changes the whole discussion, but this is an Iowa criteria.

For that matter, if it's a requirement that an Iowa player must have been on a team that won a Big Ten title, or made a Final Four, there would be very, very few Iowa players with their numbers retired. Besides, that's a team accomplishment, more so than an individual one. I suppose Ernie Banks shouldn't be in the HOF or have his #14 retired because his Cubs teams never made the playoffs, much less won a World Series?

School's (now) 2nd all-time leading scorer? Retire the jersey.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT