ADVERTISEMENT

Rule Changes

I like the idea of an incentive to score first as long as it isnt an escape in the second period....should have to be a takedown

I like the idea of an incentive to score first as long as it isnt an escape in the second period....should have to be a takedown

I thought about that but it does not make sense to devalue a point. ultimately a point is a point. this is also incentive to score a point in the first period. So you don't give a cheap advantage your opponent

Reactions: Huck
But from history we know refs don't/won't call stalling like they should, they swallow the whistle so you have to take it out of their hands. Why not do something like give them a 2 minute OT on their feet and if no one scores...the guy that scored the first (or last like FS) points of the match wins? If it ends 0-0 (without any stall warnings) the ref has to determine the winner.
Yeah, lets have more ridiculous free style rules. Maybe pick the winner out of a bag?

But from history we know refs don't/won't call stalling like they should, they swallow the whistle so you have to take it out of their hands. Why not do something like give them a 2 minute OT on their feet and if no one scores...the guy that scored the first (or last like FS) points of the match wins? If it ends 0-0 (without any stall warnings) the ref has to determine the winner.
Yeah, lets have more ridiculous free style rules. Maybe pick the winner out of a bag?

freestyle doesnt do the ball grab anymore

you seem a little hostile....all of this talk was just conjecture...none of its going to happen anyway....I think all of people consider the new freestyle rules a big improvement for the sport....I know I do....you brought up the ball grab so yea I wondered if you didnt know they eliminated it.....peace

Stupid FS rules? I didn't see many freestyle rules in what I was brainstorming other than the possibility of having the "first or last" points scored being a criteria that everyone would know before the OT period started. I just know I hate watching the stupid a$$ multiple rideout periods.

It just hit me, why do the college rules differentiate from the HS rules? I can't remember if they used to be like the HS rules are now and they changed it (it ain't f*n getting old).

Keep it simple. Let them wrestle until someone scores in OT. I don't care how long it takes.

The only adjustment I would make is every two minutes the clock stops and the ref has to assign a stall to one if the wrestlers. So the OT couldn't go more than 6 mins. Sure, the ref might get it wrong, but if you not only can't score in six mins, but can't even convincingly make it look like you're trying, you don't have much argument.

Reactions: championhawk
1 mins sudden victory. If no one scores, one of the wrestlers gets a caution, and has 30 seconds to score or the other guy wins.

I hate the idea of the ref having to give a caution or stall in ot. that idea will be a disaster because it is so subjective. It will end up with 1 guy feeling like he got cheated out of victory most of the time.

I hate the idea of the ref having to give a caution or stall in ot. that idea will be a disaster because it is so subjective. It will end up with 1 guy feeling like he got cheated out of victory most of the time.

But if you can't even make it appear that you're being active, do you have a complaint?

But if you can't even make it appear that you're being active, do you have a complaint?
The fact that the ref has to ding one guy for stalling does not allow for both guys to aggressively try to score without one of them being dinged if they don't score. It's the same as the freestyle mandatory shot clock after scoreless 1st two minutes. You can be aggressive and not score and shouldn't be penalized for it above having nothing to show for your effort.

Imagine 2 dudes getting after it, going to OT knotted at 8-8, continuing to get after with neither able to finish but one losing on stall calls.

I don't mind if a ref calls a stall in ot. the problem I have is forcing a ref to make a stall call when time runs out. sometimes both guys are stalling and other times neither are stalling. it would be a coin flip on who to call in most matches.

I stated before in this thread that I like a 2 min sudden victory that starts in neutral. if no score after 2 min then the person who scored the first point of the match gets to pick top or bottom. riding time starts at 0 in this period, so only 2 outcomes can happen, top guy rides him out and gets another riding time point or bottom man escapes/reverse and he wins.

very simple but the key is that the match is won or lost by the wrestlers, not the ref.

The fact that the ref has to ding one guy for stalling does not allow for both guys to aggressively try to score without one of them being dinged if they don't score. It's the same as the freestyle mandatory shot clock after scoreless 1st two minutes. You can be aggressive and not score and shouldn't be penalized for it above having nothing to show for your effort.

Imagine 2 dudes getting after it, going to OT knotted at 8-8, continuing to get after with neither able to finish but one losing on stall calls.

I contend it is impossible for two guys to aggressively try to score for 2+ minutes with no score occurring. Remember, I suggest 2 min OT periods with mandatory stall at the end. Worst case scenario you would have to go four minutes without a TD, then unfairly chosen both times.

Besides, have you ever seen an OT match where 16 points have been scored; let alone such a match where neither wrestler hit a TD on sudden death?

At least one wrestler is stalling if they go two mins on their feet with no score. Otherwise wrestling is an awful sport.

I contend it is impossible for two guys to aggressively try to score for 2+ minutes with no score occurring. Remember, I suggest 2 min OT periods with mandatory stall at the end. Worst case scenario you would have to go four minutes without a TD, then unfairly chosen both times.

Besides, have you ever seen an OT match where 16 points have been scored; let alone such a match where neither wrestler hit a TD on sudden death?

At least one wrestler is stalling if they go two mins on their feet with no score. Otherwise wrestling is an awful sport.

You obviously haven't watched the McDonough/Long NCAA championship match.

^^maybe include the pushout rule? If automatic point for pushout during OT is too much for some of you to stomach...what about pushout equals automatic stalling call for the pushee?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT