ADVERTISEMENT

Rule Changes

WDuck5217

Team MVP
Feb 19, 2017
New rule changes for the 2017-18 season as well as 2018-19. Some of the new rule changes are wrestlers being able to pick top, bottom, or netrual in the overtime tiebreaker and the wrestlers will be able to have facial hair as long as you can see if there are any skin diseases or such. A couple rules were a little confusing and I wasn't 100 percent certain of the rules ahead of time... but looks like quite a few changes.

Reactions: PinsNpints
Key takeaways:

-the 3 count warning for "scramblers"; good luck with that one refs
-the 5 count for dropping below the waist while on top, will not stop the match automatically if defensive wrestler is attempting to score
-top guy is responsible for returning opponent to the mat; no more penalties for bottom guy standing up when opponent has legs in

Key takeaways:

-the 5 count for dropping below the waist while on top, will not stop the match automatically if defensive wrestler is attempting to score
-top guy is responsible for returning opponent to the mat; no more penalties for bottom guy standing up when opponent has legs in

top guy is responsible for returning opponent to the mat; no more penalties for bottom guy standing up when opponent has legs in.

Finally!

Hopefully top guy responsible for returning applies to them pushing the bottom guy OB all the time too.

Key takeaways:

Exactly. Hopefully it will result in people holding onto ankles and almost upside being called and thus taken down.

I think this is basically what Gilman did to Tomasello in the semis a couple years ago.

Wish they eliminated the headgear. It's silly and prevents NOTHING.

Thinking a bureaucratic, governing body would actually get rid of a piece of "safety" gear is pretty silly ;) Doesn't a peer-reviewed study automatically have to be done before that happens nowadays? The children (and their ears) are our future!

Reactions: Mendoza77 and Huck
Is there proof either way on the effectiveness of head gear?
11 or 12 years ago I was pummeling with a kid. We were going fast and easy then tight and fight. He had shaved his head for the state series. I looked over at another group and he smacked his sweaty bald head right on my ear. The sweat caused his head to seal on my ear. It acted just like a toilet plunger and blew my eardrum. It healed but not a great experience.

Key takeaways:

If called properly, this is trouble for Dean Heil

Reactions: TarpHawk
some good changes overall...I like being able to choose neutral in overtime tie breakers too....love the top guy being required to return the defensive wrestler to the mat....honestly wish they would just go ahead and go to freestyle

Reactions: pumpdog20
I've never cared for the OT tie breakers....greatly favors guys that are leeches on top....encourages stalling in my mind especially when you have refs that wont call a stall....I've always wished they would just keep adding 2 minute periods.....and start on their feet until someone wins

I've never cared for the OT tie breakers....greatly favors guys that are leeches on top....encourages stalling in my mind especially when you have refs that wont call a stall....I've always wished they would just keep adding 2 minute periods.....and start on their feet until someone wins
No way. Then you get 1-1 matches that go forever. Give them a 2 minute OT and then go to tiebreakers. Freestyle has this right.

No way. Then you get 1-1 matches that go forever. Give them a 2 minute OT and then go to tiebreakers. Freestyle has this right.
Tie breakers can go on forever too....I wouldnt be opposed to sudden death...I dont like the ride outs....and freestyle since the rule updates has alot right

Reactions: TarpHawk

wait maybe I misunderstood you mean using criteria as a tie breaker?

How about untimed but every 30 seconds a double stall is called if no action. Either somebody will score, somebody will lose because of stalling or they will both be DQ for stalling. Normal stalling rules still apply

Reactions: natchrlman
I thought the same thing too sudden death start on feet wrestle till someone scores....but I do understand the length of matches could get out of hand....especially at HWY

I thought the same thing too sudden death start on feet wrestle till someone scores....but I do understand the length of matches could get out of hand....especially at HWY
But if you look at it the current OT has 4 min of wrestle time not counting stoppages. Mine would have a maximum of 2:30(no stalls during regulation and 5 total double stalls every 30 seconds) if there's not action and would result in a double DQ. If there was action then somebody would score before that 2 1/2 min and if nobody scores and there's still action then more than likely the better conditioned wrestler will win.

But if you look at it the current OT has 4 min of wrestle time not counting stoppages. Mine would have a maximum of 2:30(no stalls during regulation and 5 total double stalls every 30 seconds) if there's not action and would result in a double DQ. If there was action then somebody would score before that 2 1/2 min and if nobody scores and there's still action then more than likely the better conditioned wrestler will win.

the problem is the double dq at a individual tournament like nationals....what do you do award the next opponent in the bracket that should face the winner a forfiet....then how do you drop two wrestlers from the same match in to wrestlebacks??? I think you need rules that establish a?winner in every match

Reactions: Huck
I could see a sudden death period then going to a freestyle type of criteria....definately would need regs calling stalling too

the problem is the double dq at a individual tournament like nationals....what do you do award the next opponent in the bracket that should face the winner a forfiet....then how do you drop two wrestlers from the same match in to wrestlebacks??? I think you need rules that establish a?winner in every match
I did overlook tournament application. However I don't think it would ever get to a double DQ

I did overlook tournament application. However I don't think it would ever get to a double DQ

ever watch a heavyweight match? lol :p

I always chuckle when people think the match will go on "forever."

yea I kind of agree....someone is going to break eventually....especially if the refs call stalling like they should and keep the action going....could really have an effect on a tournament though if a guys wrestling multiple matches in one day and get a couple of really extended matches

But from history we know refs don't/won't call stalling like they should, they swallow the whistle so you have to take it out of their hands. Why not do something like give them a 2 minute OT on their feet and if no one scores...the guy that scored the first (or last like FS) points of the match wins? If it ends 0-0 (without any stall warnings) the ref has to determine the winner.

How about one 2 minute sudden victory that starts in neutral. Then an additional 1 minute sudden victory where the person who scores the first point of the match gets to choose up or down. Riding time starts at 0 in the second OT so one person has to win. Either the bottom guy escapes and wins or the top guy rides him out and scores a riding time point. If for some reason a person gets an injury and no points are scored, then the person with the most riding time in OT wins.

The first OT provides an equal chance for both guys to win.
The second OT places an incentive on being the first person to score in a match which I think would make matches more fun. Most wrestlers would choose down and would be at an advantage to win with an escape.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT