ADVERTISEMENT

Rules changes that are likely for this 2023 season

pistachio1999

HR Legend
Nov 29, 2021
No stopping of clock when 1st down is made ..............................

NCAA committee recommends changes to clock procedures after first downs in college football games​

The NCAA Football Rules Committee's recommendation is designed to shorten the length of games​

NICK BROMBERG
Fri, Mar 3, 2023, 12:51 PM CST2 min read

It’s very likely the clock won’t stop after most first downs during college football games in 2023.

The NCAA Football Rules Committee said Friday that it was recommending changes to first down procedures and timeouts as it looks for ways to speed up football games. Game length has been an ongoing issue in college football with many FBS games taking over 3.5 hours to complete without overtime involved.

The game clock currently stops after a team gets a first down and is started once the ball is spotted and the referee declares the ball ready for play when the first down is gained in bounds. The rules committee’s recommendation is that the game clock should continue to run after a first down outside of the last two minutes of each half. Inside the final two minutes of each half, the game clock would continue to stop after a first down.

"This rule change is a small step intended to reduce the overall game time and will give us some time to review the impact of the change," Georgia coach Kirby Smart said in a statement. He's a co-chair of the rules committee.

With college football games mostly scheduled in three-hour windows, the length of games is also a big issue for fans wanting to watch their favorite teams. It's extremely common for games beginning later in the day to start on a different network than scheduled because the preceding game is still going on.

The rules committee also said that teams should be prohibited from calling consecutive timeouts. Right now a team can call all three of its timeouts in a row to ice a kicker.

The recommendations are not official until they are approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel in April. However, the recommendations are likely to be approved by the panel and implemented ahead of the season. The committee said that its recommendations "would modestly reduce the number of plays in the game."

The committee also said that a penalty at the end of the first or third quarter should simply carry over to the start of the next quarter and be enforced on the following play instead of resulting in an untimed down.

Most notably, the committee did not pass on a recommendation to keep the clock running after an incomplete pass. The committee was reportedly considering a rule that would allow the clock to run after certain incompletions to speed up games.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-commi...wns-in-college-football-games-185142072.html#

Meh.

I still think reducing the number of commercial breaks would help out more, but that's just an opinion shared by everyone in non-corporate America so what do we know...........................

I was going to post the same damn thing. If they really cared about shortening the game they'd set a cap on the FORCED delays in the game for commercials.

Cause apparently there aren't enough natural breaks in action with the timeouts, injuries, Halftime, Quarters, TDs.... (Those should be the commercial breaks. Then scroll ads on the bottom of the screen, if you want.)

Its the worst when you are actually AT the game and they do a TV timeout after a TD. Then stop AGAIN right after the kickoff.

Last edited:
I was going to post the same damn thing. If they really cared about shortening the game they'd set a cap on the FORCED delays in the game for commercials.

Cause apparently there aren't enough natural breaks in action with the timeouts, injuries, Halftime, Quarters, TDs.... (Those should be the commercial breaks. Then scroll ads on the bottom of the screen, if you want.

Its the worst when you are actually AT the game and they do a TV timeout after a TD. Then stop AGAIN right after the kickoff.
$ is what its all about though.

Cause apparently there aren't enough natural breaks in action with the timeouts, injuries, Halftime, Quarters, TDs.... (Those should be the commercial breaks. Then scroll ads on the bottom of the screen, if you want.

Agree. Way to many commercials. Statistics show that over 30% of a game is commercials excluding half time. Additionally, replays should be limited to 60 seconds from the tie the decision is made to review a play. All replays should be done by the booth or off site and not by an official on the field. Finally shorten half time by 5 minutes. Do thst and you've solved the problem without changing on the field rules.

Those rules changes are ok with me.

I still want a rule that says the video review of plays can only last one minute. If they can't determine if the call is correct after one minute then the call has to stand. This would also shorten the game.

They're still not addressing the big old elephant in the room which is the targeting rule. But if they want to shorten the game I'd increase the play clock. All these teams want to go fast, until they don't right? A longer play-clock would even the field for teams like Iowa against teams that want to go fast. Add 5-10 seconds on the play clock would shorten the game without it being overly noticeable.

No multiple time outs is a good one and the commercial breaks are what's really out if hand. I don't like the not stopping the clock by getting out of bounds. Just adds to much to the game imo. They should keep that. And agree about the replay. Don't need 5 minutes to see the play right.

They could really shorten the game - I mean make more time for commercials - if they kept the clock running during replay reviews.

Reactions: Iowa2525
They're still not addressing the big old elephant in the room which is the targeting rule. But if they want to shorten the game I'd increase the play clock. All these teams want to go fast, until they don't right? A longer play-clock would even the field for teams like Iowa against teams that want to go fast. Add 5-10 seconds on the play clock would shorten the game without it being overly noticeable.
I agree with you about targeting. That needs to be cleaned up. The reviews take too long and the officials don't really want to kick a player out, so they find a reason not to.

But I don't understand how increasing the play clock will shorten the game. The play clock often runs while the game clock is stopped, so adding to the play clock could lengthen the game. But, maybe I just don't get it.

In terms of replay...Id like to go to some type of off-site, national review setting. I don't think the ref on the field needs to have input(gonna be bias to call on the fields anyway) when everyone can almost always make up their mind in a few seconds of replay. If you can't, call on the field stands.

Idea...

Raise the amount of $ needed per 30 second commercial slot and reduce commercial timeouts. Cut down the supply and increase the demand.

Most of these commercials are repeated every other timeout anyway. I am leaving to go to the bathroom, do something with my kids, probably sending some nonsense that I am angry about on here. Whatever it is, I'm not paying attention to the same 10 commercials.

These were my exact same thoughts.

Idea...

Raise the amount of $ needed per 30 second commercial slot and reduce commercial timeouts. Cut down the supply and increase the demand.

Most of these commercials are repeated every other timeout anyway. I am leaving to go to the bathroom, do something with my kids, probably sending some nonsense that I am angry about on here. Whatever it is, I'm not paying attention to the same 10 commercials.
I amaze myself at my ability to zone out a commercial and not pay attention to them. Probably why I hate the seemingly endless roll of them. They do nothing for me….

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Unlike baseball only 12 games so if a game goes 3.5 I don’t think most people really care. Of those rules only one for is timeouts in a row. Like IU game in 21’ at end of half before fg is annoying as can all be.

As others have stated things outside the play on the field is what makes games too long. Commercials obvious. If anyone who has been to kinnick they see clock with timer during a break. And I don’t know why seems like games on fox or FS1 have longer breaks and more frequent. Maybe just me. Second need to cap reviews. Set a length of after 60, 90sec or 2 min if don’t know by then have ruling on field stand. Don’t need them breaking down plays every time like the zapruder film trying to piece it together at pain staking lengths. Lastly shorten halftime. Sure marching band parents are only ones who disagree but way too long for college game. Nfl teams running off field 15 min half time clock rolling already. College teams take time getting off then they finally set it to 20 min which adds another min or 2 to already long halftime. And even after band is done always seems like 7-8 min left of dead time.

Last edited:
How does the consecutive timeout rule really speed up the game ? If you call 3 timeouts in a half does it really matter if they are consecutive in terms of length of downtime?
Yes, but they don't cut to commercials during the second timeout. What's the point of granting a timeout if no one is profiting from it. These rule changes are clearly meant to cut the time of a game (the actual amount of football) without reducing the commercials. I didn't want to take the time to add up the numbers for all FBS teams, but in 2022 the top 10 offenses averaged 72.0 plays per game. In 2012 the top 10 offenses averaged 76.7 plays per game. That's a 6% reduction in the actual amount of football. I would be a little less cynical about the timeout rule if they would also forbid sandwiching a kickoff between TV timeouts.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Those rules changes are ok with me.

I still want a rule that says the video review of plays can only last one minute. If they can't determine if the call is correct after one minute then the call has to stand. This would also shorten the game.
And the review has to be at regular speed, no slow motion pixel by pixel junk. The game isn't played in the matrix so the reviews shouldn't be either.

Teams shouldn't have time to review before they decide to challenge either.

I actually prefer the clock stopping at first downs more than the pro game where it dwindles away. Makes end of game situations more interesting and you have to defend to the sticks, not just the deep ball.

No longer stopping the clock after a first down will further incentivize faking injuries.
It sure will. When you have little to no timeouts and you need to score late in the game. Totally takes away some of the plays you would have normally considered. I would have liked to see it where when game is under 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter the clock would stop on 1st downs to move chains and get set.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
In terms of replay...Id like to go to some type of off-site, national review setting. I don't think the ref on the field needs to have input(gonna be bias to call on the fields anyway) when everyone can almost always make up their mind in a few seconds of replay. If you can't, call on the field stands.
Put 3 people in independent locations

Dont let them watch anything from the games except the replays they rule on

Require a 3-0 vote to overturn and votes must be completed within 30 seconds

We live with crap calls all the time anyway, so just have one ref in the press box to give a 30 sec look and go with that decision. One side or the other is going to bitch anyway.

Reactions: pistachio1999
I agree with you about targeting. That needs to be cleaned up. The reviews take too long and the officials don't really want to kick a player out, so they find a reason not to.

But I don't understand how increasing the play clock will shorten the game. The play clock often runs while the game clock is stopped, so adding to the play clock could lengthen the game. But, maybe I just don't get it.
A team like Iowa or one of the academies that is run heavy, if the play clock was 5-10 seconds longer could take say 30 additional seconds off the game clock even on a three and out possession.

A team like Iowa or one of the academies that is run heavy, if the play clock was 5-10 seconds longer could take say 30 additional seconds off the game clock even on a three and out possession.
So fewer plays, fewer incomplete passes, fewer changes of possession - right?

Yep, I think it would shorten the game.

Not sure if I like it tho ....

Reactions: KFsdisciple

well in general, teams that run the ball or complete passes especially late in the game that are looking to secure a win playing with a lead can bleed more clock in those situations, and for teams that are more balanced or run-heavy they can really choke the life out of a game... a 12 play 83 yard drive that would normally take 6 minutes might take 7:15 of game time.... and would you really notice an extra 5-10 seconds between plays?

More plays to the sidelines now when needing to save clock. Can't as easily run plays in the middle if wanting to save seconds.

well in general, teams that run the ball or complete passes especially late in the game that are looking to secure a win playing with a lead can bleed more clock in those situations, and for teams that are more balanced or run-heavy they can really choke the life out of a game... a 12 play 83 yard drive that would normally take 6 minutes might take 7:15 of game time.... and would you really notice an extra 5-10 seconds between plays?
IDK. Probably not 5 secs anyway.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
In high school they use a running clock if a team gets up like 21-28 points, I wonder if that's something they should look at doing? If a team is up/down 28 in the 4th quarter use a running clock?

So, no more roughing the kicker calls when the punter takes a couple of steps to the right or left before kicking the ball. This has become very popular in NCAA football the last few years with the advent of more Australian punters entering the college game.
Those would still be protected the way I read it. Where they lose protection is if they go more than 5 yards backward and then try to kick it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT