ADVERTISEMENT

Sams Club vs Costco

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
Costco is too far of a drive. All I want to know is, does Sams Club have the amazing hot dog meal deals like Costco? If not that could be a deal breaker.

I've never ate at a grocery or box store so I can't answer the meal question. But I like both stores for different reasons and have memberships to both. Carry on.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We used to have both but Sams Club's drive up service won me over. I can add things to my cart online as we need things and then order when the cart gets full enough or there is something we need quickly. drive up, park, they load my car and I'm off. I would switch to Costco if they added drive up service. Not having to enter the building is an irresistible benefit in my mind!

I've never ate at a grocery or box store so I can't answer the meal question. But I like both stores for different reasons and have memberships to both. Carry on.
We do too. For us, Costco is much closer and more convenient, but Sam's has a few things Costco doesn't have, and they take any credit card which is good for building points on a particular card. Items we get at Sam's because Costco doesn't have them are breakfast sausage patties, a certain kind of frozen wings, gas with a 91 rating instead of 93, and freshly baked hoagie rolls. Is it worth an extra membership? I think so.

Jeeze money bags. Nice subtle brag. I bet you have a planet fitness and an LA fitness membership too.
Na, I can work out for free at home. Sam's membership is basically free using their card they give you cash back and by the end of the year I get more back then the membership.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
Obviously there is some overlap, but for the most part:

Sam’s Club sells cheap things cheaper.

Costco sells nicer things cheaper.

Summer Slip And Slide GIF

Reactions: beanerhawk
You don't have to be a member to get the hot dog at Sam's.
At certain locations, they get real picky when you enter and require you to show your card. Not sure why, because you need the card to check anything out at the checkout?

Reactions: Moral
Being a Plus Member the
Is it really a money brag or a wise financial decision weighing the costs of a membership vs the expected savings 🤔.
Being a Sams Plus Member the rewards dollars we build up more than pays for the membership. If you buy paper towels, toilet paper,

Being a Plus Member the
Is it really a money brag or a wise financial decision weighing the costs of a membership vs the expected savings 🤔.
Being a Sams Plus Member the rewards dollars we build up more than pays for the membership. If you buy paper towels, toilet paper and other household items you've paid for your membership over a year.

Being a Plus Member the

Being a Sams Plus Member the rewards dollars we build up more than pays for the membership. If you buy paper towels, toilet paper and other household items you've paid for your membership over a year.
But does it pay for your hot dogs?

Costco = upscale Target

Sam’s Club = fancy Walmart

I’ll take Costco all day long
That’s not really true. I shop at both all of the time. They have 90% of the same stuff. Costco is better for some things, and Sam’s is better for some things.

Reactions: MplsHawk
That’s not really true. I shop at both all of the time. They have 90% of the same stuff. Costco is better for some things, and Sam’s is better for some things.
It's kinda true for my Costco vs Sams. Especially in the customer base. In fact, I wouldn't even call Sams "upscale" Walmart... it's pretty much Walmart customers. Yes, much of the merch is the same. We have both memberships because Sams is much more conveniently located for gas. I like Costco better... slightly nicer store, DEFINITELY has better trained, happier employees.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Scan n go at Sam’s is awesome. I just scan things as I put them in my cart. When I’m finished I just hit pay on my phone and then no need to check out. Huge time saver. Maybe Costco has this option too though.

I haven’t had a person check my membership when entering in years. And anyone can buy the pizza or hot dog deal so it’s correct you don’t need a membership for the hot dog.

It's kinda true for my Costco vs Sams. Especially in the customer base. In fact, I wouldn't even call Sams "upscale" Walmart... it's pretty much Walmart customers. Yes, much of the merch is the same. We have both memberships because Sams is much more conveniently located for gas. I like Costco better... slightly nicer store, DEFINITELY has better trained, happier employees.
I will say from a clientele standpoint, that is true where I live. I guess I don’t really care that much because I’m there to get in, buy shit, and get out. Fri that standpoint I like Sam’s better on the weekend because it is 1/4 as busy as Costco. In terms of a misery index, I’d rather spend 10 minutes in a 5 than 30 minutes in a 3.

Costco chickens are amazing. Lots of meat.
Flip side is the Tyson buffalo wings sold at Sam’s are the biggest damn wings out there. Not sure that’s good or bad. My son thinks they are mutant wings and prefers smaller/thinner wings. I go back and forth.

Flip side is the Tyson buffalo wings sold at Sam’s are the biggest damn wings out there. Not sure that’s good or bad. My son thinks they are mutant wings and prefers smaller/thinner wings. I go back and forth.
I don’t like the bigger ones because they sometimes don’t cook all the way through. Thus they get overdone sometimes when you have to cook them longer. I have yet to find the “sweet spot” in cooking oversized wings.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I don’t like the bigger ones because they sometimes don’t cook all the way through. Thus they get overdone sometimes when you have to cook them longer. I have yet to find the “sweet spot” in cooking oversized wings.
I put the biggies in the convection oven at 450 for 35 to 40 minutes. You can’t really over crisp them, and they are precooked. At least the giant bag we get.

Reactions: QuadCityHawkeye1976
I don’t have either one - instead I have a BJ’s which is out of New England and is the same kind of place.
I’m very happy with it and they’re very popular here in NoFla.

We have Sam's, Costco, and BJ's memberships. I have lately begun preferring Sam's over Costco as I think Sam's has upped their game in unique items they stock. I think Costco has sort of rested on their laurels. Now whoever said above the Costco employees are 10x more helpful is correct. Night and day comparing Costco employees vs everyone else.

Food court - Sams wins actually.

Now BJ's is a bit different, smaller store. But I think BJ's has the best selection of steaks and meats and sides in that cold food area comparing all 3 stores, which is why I maintain that one.

Reactions: goldmom
Prefer Sam's because they have a few more of the grocery items I prefer, but having shopped at Costco in the past - used to mooch off my sister for a time when I had an apartment and didn't have storage to go more than once or twice a year, I don't have an issue with them either.

Sam's is also more convenient for me in Ankeny - the new Costco that opened last year is on the other side of the highway.

Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT