ADVERTISEMENT

San Diego Recommendations

Bro D

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2003
There all next week -- Appreciate any recommendations.

Must. Have. Seafood.

Not sure how mobile you are but here are some places we liked:

Mike's or Nico's: California Burrito's (In Ocean Beach)
Shorehouse Kitchen: Breakfast (La Jolla Shores)
Barleymash
Kettner Exchange
King and Queen Cantina: Mexican
Ketch Grill: Seafood
Civico 1845: Italian
Underbelly: Ramen
Snooze: Breakfast
Breakfast Republic: Breakfast

There are many more... just don't remember. I'll say that the Gaslamp area is fun to walk around and grab a drink, but most of the better places to eat are away from there in Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, Old Town, etc. There are also tons of pretty good local breweries.

Reactions: Bro D
Not sure how mobile you are but here are some places we liked:

Mike's or Nico's: California Burrito's (In Ocean Beach)
Shorehouse Kitchen: Breakfast (La Jolla Shores)
Barleymash
Kettner Exchange
King and Queen Cantina: Mexican
Ketch Grill: Seafood
Civico 1845: Italian
Underbelly: Ramen
Snooze: Breakfast
Breakfast Republic: Breakfast

There are many more... just don't remember. I'll say that the Gaslamp area is fun to walk around and grab a drink, but most of the better places to eat are away from there in Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, Old Town, etc. There are also tons of pretty good local breweries.
Thanks! Yea I'm staying down in the Gaslamp area right on the Bay. Will be using Uber or may try my hand at a scooter :)

Thanks! Yea I'm staying down in the Gaslamp area right on the Bay. Will be using Uber or may try my hand at a scooter :)
I saw a girl eat it bad on one of those. She was flying down the sidewalk at about 15-20 mph, swerved, overcorrected, and then hopped a curb and hit a car causing her to get launched about 10-ft. She was bleeding all over the place and screaming like banshee. Police rolled up within a couple of minutes. Didn't stick around to see what happened, but it wasn't pretty so be careful.

Oh, the beach across the bridge on Coronado was a good spot to relax and enjoy the weather. I'd have liked to go out to Point Loma... looked like a neat spot to see. Perhaps those who've been or live out that way can chime in.

48bfac9e-d13b-4586-a292-13d83dea0af5_text.gif

56636d6b-da80-487b-baf0-eb02a0da2d79_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: pink shizzle
My daughter and son-in-law had a beautiful home on a
hill on Point Loma. We could see a fiery red sunset from
their front deck as we viewed the Pacific Ocean.

Surf at Blacks or Swamis. Or both.

And if you get better, drive up to the best surf break in the continental US: Lowers (lower trestles) at San Onofre State Park. There, even if you can't surf, you can see the pros do their stuff. I've even seen KIDS of like 12 absolutely rip it up. Humbling.

I'm a kook, so no ego here.

Gotta get into the water and play in the waves. Even if all you do is some bodysurfing, it truly is the highlight of the city and area to BE IN THE OCEAN. Lose yourself there.

Even the Jewish people had it figured out "...and the spirit of god moved across the waters" before their myth explains that the water was separated from the earth on the first day. What is that but a WAVE? And the "god is light thing"? Light is a wave.

So go find the only actual god you can experience on this earth: a wave.

Bluewater grill in Mission Hills is the best seafood in town.

Also try Tom Hams lighthouse

Only tourists go to Gaslamp - go to little italy, north park, ocean beach

Saturday morning - Tuna Harbor fisherman's market right on the pier downtown. Probably 8 or so boats selling their fresh wares, just caught. There's a taco stand that sets up there that buys the fresh fish from one of the boats and makes at least tacos that are the freshest, tastiest you can get. If there's more for sale, they might do more. One time I was there they were serving fresh uni. But those tacos are by far the best I've had.

I wasn't particularly impressed by the Gaslamp district - a lot of cliché bars. We had a lot more fun in Little Italy, which had a nice array of great restaurants, a couple good breweries, and a really cool Saturday farmer's market.

Puesto has some amazing fish tacos.
Ballast Point and Stone Breweries were a blast, but if you have kids along….well screw it. Leave them in the hotel and go anyhow.

If you like a fancy brunch try Cafe 21, if you are more a bacon, egg and cheese guy who likes hip hop, try Morning Glory.

Bar Basic pizza sure hit the spot after some drinks

If you like cocktails (jack and coke doesn't count) Nobel Experiment is a reservation only speakeasy where the bartender asks what you like and makes you something custom.

Upper East is a rooftop bar/Hotel Pool neat Petco park if you are taking in a Padres game

Puesto has some amazing fish tacos.
Ballast Point and Stone Breweries were a blast, but if you have kids along….well screw it. Leave them in the hotel and go anyhow.
Just me. Have about 1000 things i want to do lol.. not enough time!

Bluewater grill in Mission Hills is the best seafood in town.

Also try Tom Hams lighthouse

Only tourists go to Gaslamp - go to little italy, north park, ocean beach
First time there. Hotel is right next to the convention center which is in the gaslamp but little italy sounds right up my alley

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
Arrival day
Ironside Fish and Oyster.

Day 2
Bluewater Grill after visiting Point Loma and Cabrillo

Day 3
Eat at Pacific Beach Fish Shop for quick lunch.
Check out La Jolla area (Cove, beach, ridiculous houses)
Eat at El Pescador Fish Market.

Day 4
Coronado day

Day 5
OB/PB

Supposed to go-to a dinner at a place called born and raised which looks fantastic

San Diego Maritime Museum-includes ship built for Master and Commander.

Ocean Kayaking is alot of fun. We did that and also kayaked Mission Bay. It’s been so long since I’ve been there I can’t remember where we ate but it was all great. Coronado is pretty cool. Torrey Pines was awesome to see.

@pink shizzle you still live there bro?
I'm about an hour and a half norf of SD. Unfortunately I haven't gone out to eat there a whole lot. Had fish n chips at Shakespeare's Pub, which I liked but I wouldn't say is anything special.

Friend that lives there said a place simply called "The Fish Market San Diego" has good seafood.

There's a place called Born and Raised that I haven't been too but I always hear is pretty awesome.

A poster above mentioned Eddie V's which I've also heard great things about. That's in La Jolla which isn't too far away.

Several nude beaches, such as Black's Beach but they're mainly just fat dudes that are 50+ out there (NTTAWWT of thats what he is into).

Petco Park is an awesome place to see a game.

Breweries, tons and tons of Breweries. Ballast Point (Little Italy?) Was great BUT I was rather drunk at the time so those sweet memories may have seemed a bit grander than in reality. My friends go there often so it can't be too bad. I like the one here Long Beach and the San Diego location (from memory) was better.

I'm about an hour and a half norf of SD. Unfortunately I haven't gone out to eat there a whole lot. Had fish n chips at Shakespeare's Pub, which I liked but I wouldn't say is anything special.

Friend that lives there said a place simply called "The Fish Market San Diego" has good seafood.

There's a place called Born and Raised that I haven't been too but I always hear is pretty awesome.

A poster above mentioned Eddie V's which I've also heard great things about. That's in La Jolla which isn't too far away.

Several nude beaches, such as Black's Beach but they're mainly just fat dudes that are 50+ out there (NTTAWWT of thats what he is into).

Petco Park is an awesome place to see a game.

Breweries, tons and tons of Breweries. Ballast Point (Little Italy?) Was great BUT I was rather drunk at the time so those sweet memories may have seemed a bit grander than in reality. My friends go there often so it can't be too bad. I like the one here Long Beach and the San Diego location (from memory) was better.
Awesome.. mentioned before but im heading to born and raised for a dinner so thats good to hear.

Will check out anything seafood tho.. I never liked it growing up but i just craaave seafood now. Super excited

Awesome.. mentioned before but im heading to born and raised for a dinner so thats good to hear.

Will check out anything seafood tho.. I never liked it growing up but i just craaave seafood now. Super excited
From what I hear you will not be disappointed with Born and Raised.

San Diego will have tons of seafood options. Eat up!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT