ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to Frankfurt?

CJ Beat Hard

HR Heisman
Dec 15, 2016
May be making a quick trip to pick something up in Frankfurt Germany at the end of the week. Depending on the timing, I’ll either be there for 12 hours or 24. Anyone ever been and have any quick must dos? Restaurant recommendations?

May be making a quick trip to pick something up in Frankfurt Germany at the end of the week. Depending on the timing, I’ll either be there for 12 hours or 24. Anyone ever been and have any quick must dos? Restaurant recommendations?
New car?

I’ve been there three times for work. But the hotel, as well as the meeting rooms, were in the airport; which also has a number of good restaurants. So I only ventured out once or twice for dinner.

A couple of times I did precede business with a short stay in nearby Mainz, which is a cool little town on the Rhine and just a short train ride from the airport.

Not a ton especially this time of the year.... especially with that short of a window. Just walking along the river downtown and see a museum and Romerberg area downtown. Lots of cool historical architecture and some good restaurants.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I'd hit the Altstadt...old city center. You can walk around and find some nice restaurants (very pedestian friendly). I think that's the safest bet considering the time restraints.

Frankfurt was pretty much obliterated by bombing in WW2 so it isn't the best "altstadt" but it's still pretty nice.

The Sachsenhausen district is pretty cool if you're looking for bars...that was my go to when I was single.

Enjoy the fraulein scenery, an outdoor pub and delicious local beer. I'm jealous!

Reactions: GOHOX69
I have spent a significant amount of time in Frankfurt for work over the years. As others have said Frankfurt itself is a fairly corporate.

If I had a day I would probably head over to Mainz…it is a suburb that has well preserved historic buildings, numerous restaurants, it’s right on the river. It is 35 kilometers from the airport so not too far to get to.

Mainz-Cathedral-1024x794.jpg

cityscape-of-mainz-in-the-blue-hour-with-mainzer-dom-1066191480-b4698d090ae14b4ba924fa4c4669b79e.jpg

Some notable architecture (Romer-City Hall in Altstadt, cool but largely rebuilt) the Old Opera House (was rebuilt after the war, not the original unfortunately), a few decent museums, the botanical gardens are popular but not a great time for anything to be in seasonal bloom right now. I'd find a nice place to sit down, have some local biers and eat some good German cuisine.

The airport seemed nice. Sorry, that's all I have on that city.

Thanks for the advice. Looking like I’ll have a little more time out there. Arrive Thursday. Drive to our plant and get a tour near Nuremberg. Will have most of Friday and Saturday to do my own thing.

A British Airways pilot was landing in Frankfurt. He had already been warned by his fellow pilots that the ground traffic controllers in Frankfurt expected all the visiting pilots to be familiar with the location of gates, etc, but when he landed,there had been a gate change, so he stopped monetarily on the apron to consult his map.
His radio crackled and the ground controller came on: "British Airways 1342, vot are you doink?". The pilot answered back he was consulting his map. The ground controller snapped back: "Haf you never been to Frankfurt before?". The pilot calmly replied: "Yes, twice in 1945, but it was dark and I didn't have to land".

A British Airways pilot was landing in Frankfurt. He had already been warned by his fellow pilots that the ground traffic controllers in Frankfurt expected all the visiting pilots to be familiar with the location of gates, etc, but when he landed,there had been a gate change, so he stopped monetarily on the apron to consult his map.
His radio crackled and the ground controller came on: "British Airways 1342, vot are you doink?". The pilot answered back he was consulting his map. The ground controller snapped back: "Haf you never been to Frankfurt before?". The pilot calmly replied: "Yes, twice in 1945, but it was dark and I didn't have to land".
Images Monkey GIF

How did your mule run go?

How did your mule run go?
It was good just quick. Left Wednesday night landed back home Saturday night. Spent a day in Nuremberg and a day in Frankfurt. I don’t like big cities so Frankfurt didn’t do much for me. I loved Nuremberg tho

Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT