ADVERTISEMENT

*****SAT GAME #2 IN RAIN DELAY. Official #159 RPI Penn State at #40 RPI IOWA Games Thread (All 3 games on BTN PLUS)*****

on the radio, they were saying that PSU and Iowa will get together and try to find a window where they can get the game in; it sounded like the rain does not clear out until tomorrow afternoon; and then is PSU flexible on when they fly back?
Radar shows rain being done around 5 PM.

Iowa down 1-0 on an unearned run. For some reason they started this game, more rain on the way. Hope Iowa doesn’t get burned here.

Why would Heller send him from second on a single to left and down 1? Didn’t watch the game or see the play.

Iowa’s offense really was not good all weekend. Normally you’re happy with a 2-1 weekend, but Illinois is tough. I’m not sure 4-2 at home against these two gets it done for regionals.

Why would Heller send him from second on a single to left and down 1? Didn’t watch the game or see the play.
Wet ball from rain and just went across wet turf. Had to be an absolutely perfect throw given the circumstances. It was. I don’t hate it, but I see it both ways.

I probably agree with Kyle, but the unfortunate thing is that all the committee sees is wins and losses, the committee sees PSUs RPI and just labels it a bad loss.
Maybe but Indiana and Nebraska are like 80 RPI are almost certainly getting in. I don’t think it’s going to carry as much weight.
I agree. The first 3/4 of the season the talk was RPI RPI RPI. As of the last few weeks it sounds more and more like finish top 4.

Maryland and Rutgers pushing on to the bubble may be showing the depth of the conference and helping that switch in the thought process.

RPI craziness.

If Iowa sweeps today’s DH, they will pick up 0 (yep, you read that right) RPI points.

If they split, they will lose 81 RPI points.

If they get swept, they will lose 162 RPI points.

Based upon other games being played today, it is going to be difficult for Iowa to gain any RPI points today - even if they sweep a DH.

To put it in perspective, even if Iowa sweeps, they could fall from 42 to 43, 44 or 45. If they split, they will fall to somewhere in the mid-50s. If they get swept, they will fall to somewhere in the mid-60s.
Shockingly, Iowa sits at #50 right now in the RPI. I heard that quite a few teams lost today. Don’t know who or where they were in the RPI, but that’s what I heard.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
I agree. The first 3/4 of the season the talk was RPI RPI RPI. As of the last few weeks it sounds more and more like finish top 4.

Maryland and Rutgers pushing on to the bubble may be showing the depth of the conference and helping that switch in the thought process.

I don’t know how they can solely judge it on top four especially when you consider unbalanced scheduling. Teams four game series were different, who you played five times and so on. If Maryland finishes a game ahead of Iowa, yet Iowa took the season series 3-1, they going to take Maryland solely on conference finish?

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
What were their fans doing?
I couldn’t quite hear from where I was, but Penn St fans were yelling at Iowa players. I heard an Iowa player yell “way to show some class” and I looked over and saw a parent up against the net behind home plate yelling at the Iowa team from the away side.

One PSU player picks up the ball & throws it at the Iowa players.

At the 18 second mark, directly above home plate, the PSU player waves for a bit.

Watch:

Not sure that it would have made a difference but Sher certainly didn’t get much of a secondary lead after the pitcher started his wind-up on the pitch to Fullard. And he seemed to hesitate as he approached third base.

Obviously in retaliation for the collision at the plate where the catcher completely blocked it. Dirtbags.

whats the NCAA rule? is the catcher supposed to be out of the baseline in order to avoid these dangerous collisions?

i think MLB has this rule and it the catcher sits on the baseline, the runner can be ruled safe.

i could be wrong......lol.....i thought there were MLB & NCAA rules on this so the catcher does not get killed during a collision

I’m not sure that there is a more misunderstood rule than what a catcher may/may not do on plays at the plate. There is nothing - I repeat NOTHING - that precludes a catcher from doing what needs to be done to field a ball thrown by an OFer. If that takes the catcher directly into the base line, so be it. Once a catcher possesses the ball, he can position himself directly in front of home plate. He need not provide the base runner with any path to the plate so long as he possesses the ball. If - and only if - the catcher does not possess the ball, he cannot block access to the plate The only exception is if the catcher is trying to field a throw and it takes him into the baseline. There is nothing wrong with what the PSU catcher did yesterday.

That written, if the catcher is blocking home plate (with the ball), the runner has the right to try to score. The runner may not go out of his way to create a home plate collision or to take action which, in umpire’s discretion, creates unnecessary contact. Thus, there is nothing wrong with Sher’s conduct with contact at the plate.

I’m not sure why Iowa was so hell bent on the DH Saturday. We knew it was going to rain yesterday afternoon and evening. Even yesterday’s forecast said it would clear out by 10am Sunday. Iowa rushed it and it bit them in the ass. If I’m not mistaken, this same thing has happened.

Today was a great day for baseball, and for a solid crowd.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Wet ball from rain and just went across wet turf. Had to be an absolutely perfect throw given the circumstances. It was. I don’t hate it, but I see it both ways.

I didn't see it, was only following along with the gamecast at the time. Even as soon as I saw it happen just there, I didn't hate it because Heller always leans on the aggressive side. Sometimes it pans out, and sometimes it doesn't. Figure Adreon's chances of driving in that run in the next AB will be 40-45ish% (his OBP + HBP or Error %). Does that left fielder have a good enough arm to throw Sher out at home 40% of the time? Well, you'd think RH made that calculation at the beginning of the at-bat, or at least has some idea of the arm strength of that fielder. It was an at-him ball, but certainly there's a decent chance he airmails it, or throws it to far up one line or the other, or has the wet ball hit the ground early, or the catcher doesnt field it cleanly. Hard to do that calculus right as the ball comes off the bat, so I also neither love nor hate the send. It's like going for 2 in the final seconds of a 1 point game. The result tends to bias of how the decision is viewed because we're all human, and that's that.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
The result tends to bias of how the decision is viewed because we're all human, and that's that.
Couldn't agree more. It's easy to second guess particularly when the runner is thrown out by about 5 feet. But, when you listen to what Heller had to say about his thought process, it makes sense.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the opponent for making the play. The OFer kept calm, fielded the ball cleanly, made a good throw and the catcher fielded it cleanly and held on after tagging Sher . . . in the midst of a furious Iowa comeback. Kudos to them.

I've got a far bigger issue with PSU's pitcher - who threw 8 straight balls to walk in a run before Fullard's laser to LF and was on the cusp of blowing a 4 run lead - being a douche bag after being bailed out by his fielders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT