ADVERTISEMENT

Sauerkraut, why isn't it sold as a condiment?

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
It should be in the condiment aisle like giardiniera, right? I had to shuffle over to the canned vegetable aisle today at Hy-Vee to get some kraut for brats tonight.
Other than on a brat, what's kraut used for? Nobody eats a bowl of it straight.

I do not think sauerkraut adds anything worthwhile to bratwurst. Ruins if if anything.

Anyway, sometimes you can find it smaller packets so you dont have to buy a can. It's just pickled cabbage, so I don't feel bad about throwing a lot of it away.

I do not think sauerkraut adds anything worthwhile to bratwurst. Ruins if if anything.

Anyway, sometimes you can find it smaller packets so you dont have to buy a can. It's just pickled cabbage, so I don't feel bad about throwing a lot of it away.
Dude..... how did God create such different people... you don't like kraft on youe brats?

Do you pineapple pizza?

tumblr_n2pgitiHs11tw1vhco1_500.gif

It should be in the condiment aisle like giardiniera, right? I had to shuffle over to the canned vegetable aisle today at Hy-Vee to get some kraut for brats tonight.
I do on occasion. Smothered in mustard.

Only had it on a brat, which is the only way to eat a brat. Ya

Equipment needed

7250500.jpg

41u94-W8AML._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

I make a lot and can it so it lasts me a year or 2.

1/4 pound of Kosher or pickling salt per 10 pounds of cabbage. Cut cabbage into quarters and remove heart. Shred cabbage and sprinkle salt in as you shred. You'll want to really stomp it in with something as you go until you get the cabbage to release it's juices so it will ferment in it's own salty juices.

My dad taught me this trick to fill a heavy duty garbage bag with water on top to help pack it down.

Cover it up and let it do it's thing for 6-8 weeks.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Equipment needed

7250500.jpg

41u94-W8AML._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

I make a lot and can it so it lasts me a year or 2.

1/4 pound of Kosher or pickling salt per 10 pounds of cabbage. Cut cabbage into quarters and remove heart. Shred cabbage and sprinkle salt in as you shred. You'll want to really stomp it in with something as you go until you get the cabbage to release it's juices so it will ferment in it's own salty juices.

My dad taught me this trick to fill a heavy duty garbage bag with water on top to help pack it down.

Cover it up and let it do it's thing for 6-8 weeks.
That's it?

Seems doable. Think I could cut it down to like 2 pounds of Cabbage to see if I like it? If so, still 6-8 weeks?

Thinking sauerkraut is gross isnt all that uncommon. Honestly I think a lot of people just tolerate bc people tell them that’s how they’re supposed to eat a brat.
lol, you think the popularity of sauerkraut is due to peer pressure? MILLAH, LOCK IT UP

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT