ADVERTISEMENT

Scholten to make announcement Wednesday

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
— J.D. Scholten, the Sioux City Democrat who nearly unseated U.S. Rep. Steve King in western Iowa’s deep-red 4th Congressional District, has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday morning at the Iowa Capitol.

An email from Scholten’s 2018 campaign manager did not elaborate on the announcement’s topic.

Ever since Scholten came within 3 percentage points of King in the 2018 elections, political observers have speculated Scholten would run for office again.

One possibility is that he could announce intentions to seek the Democratic nomination to run against Republican U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst in 2020.

Scholten is a consultant and former professional baseball player.

His campaign against King garnered national attention, helping Scholten raise more than $3.3 million, according to federal records.

Scholten, a first-time candidate, lost to King by 3 percentage points in a district with 70,000 more registered Republican voters than Democrats. It was King’s closest re-election victory in his nine-term career in Congress.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...olten-to-make-announcement-wednesday-20190122

I would hope Iowa dems have someone better then him to take on Ernst
Maybe, but Ernst has abdicated her duties, and she's been locked at the hip to Steve King for years. Scholten couldn't be worse.
I have posted before that Scholten is very interesting. He now has name recognition, and a lot of people in the 4th District voted for him in 2018. If he moves the needle in the 4th, and holds to norms in the districts where Dems hold the balance he will unseat Ernst.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Now that the details of Joni's abuse have come out, she is a shoe in to win reelection. You sure as heck cannot vote for a woman who was abused and harassed, even if she did make em squeel. She had to turn down the VP job because of her meany husband.

Maybe, but Ernst has abdicated her duties, and she's been locked at the hip to Steve King for years. Scholten couldn't be worse.
I have posted before that Scholten is very interesting. He now has name recognition, and a lot of people in the 4th District voted for him in 2018. If he moves the needle in the 4th, and holds to norms in the districts where Dems hold the balance he will unseat Ernst.

Iowans have elected Grassley for decades, not like they care about abdicating duties

Iowans have elected Grassley for decades, not like they care about abdicating duties
I am a leftist, and I have mentioned before that I voted for Chuck. Twice. He has changed.
Chuck, or whoever, 30 year incumbents are almost untouchable to a challenger. Too much money, too much name recognition, too many favors owed around the state.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
I am a leftist, and I have mentioned before that I voted for Chuck. Twice. He has changed.
Chuck, or whoever, 30 year incumbents are almost untouchable to a challenger. Too much money, too much name recognition, too many favors owed around the state.

I agree. I have a family full of Iowa liberals who used to proudly vote Grassley. Hes not the same guy he was in the 90s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT