ADVERTISEMENT

School districts not dealing with problem students.

52 kids. Earlier in this thread somebody was going on about how class sizes shouldn't be over 15. I LOL'd. We had about 60 kids in my grade, 2 classes of 30 each. 30 kids to one teacher, and the classroom ran along just fine.
Schools are vastly different. Behaviors are vastly different than when we went to school.

Reactions: unIowa
In 13 years of Catholic school I can recall only a couple of times where a student was sent to the principal's office. Never was a kid kicked out of school.
In 13 years of public school I can only remember a couple of times where a student was sent to the principal’s office.

Things have changed. If we put nuns in one of our middle schools today they would quit by lunch. Behavior has been allowed to worsen the last 30 years. Not by teachers. By administrators.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I would say that even K-8 can be sent away. Just provide an online learning tract for them and let the parents deal with finding care for their kid while they sit at home. Then that next year or semester give them a chance to apply to enroll again, if they mess that up it is ban hammer from public school forever. Let them go pay for a private school, I heard there is money in that now.
Totally agree. My principal says the same thing. “We have an online learning platform now, so let’s use it.”

Reactions: unIowa

"We've had students cause thousands of dollars in damage, steal and damage teachers’ property, sexually harassed teachers, threatened teachers and their fellow students in the form of a hit list, be under the influence of illegal drugs or vaping, and some being caught with illegal drugs, all which were given what I believe to be little punishment despite the county having zero tolerance policies with no accountability for behaviors,” Lauren Gray told the board.

Thus another reason parents want to have school choice. It is entirely the school district’s responsibility to deal with problem students and to ensure those students do not interfere or disturb the other students who want to learn.

Reactions: Pinehawk
In 13 years of public school I can only remember a couple of times where a student was sent to the principal’s office.

Things have changed. If we put nuns in one of our middle schools today they would quit by lunch. Behavior has been allowed to worsen the last 30 years. Not by teachers. By administrators.
Really?

Isn’t the teacher the one actually in the classroom?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Education is a cluster****. The problem in order of culpability is
1. Parents
2. The states neutering the power of the teacher's union
3. Parents
8. Teachers

Admin and schools boards that let this stuff happen is way high on the list. Like either #1 or #2. I am a teacher by the way. We do have culpability in this too. We need to be more strict but it's hard to do that when we remove kids or write them up, very little happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT