ADVERTISEMENT

Scotch Old Fashioned

A couple of nights my wife and I were out to dinner with another couple. I ordered an Old Fashioned using Bulleit bourbon. The other husband ordered a Scotch Old Fashioned.

Now I have had rye whiskey or bourbon in an Old Fashioned but never scotch. I guess I am not “worldly” enough to know about that particular drink. I did order one after I finished my Bulleit and it was decent.
This couple was from New Jersey. Is this more common out east?

You guys ever had a Scotch Old Fashioned?
I had a couple of these about a year ago, ordered off a signature cocktail list at some fancy restaurant, and they warned me that it would be very smoky. I was surprised how good it was. The key in making these is to have the smokiness be the dominant flavor, so you should use something like Laphroaig.

I haven’t explored the world of scotch old fashioned, but for a change of pace I recommend Hibeki Harmony. I would put this up against any bourbon out there in terms of its ability to pair with orange. It is great neat or on the rocks, but as an old fashioned it is exceptional.

suntory-hibiki-japanese-harmony-whisky__52544.1597161746.jpg
I like their Toki whiskey

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
If I’m drinking an old fashioned, it’s gonna be bourbon. If I want scotch, it’s on the rocks.

Reactions: artradley
Brandy is fine, but when those neanderthals in Wisconsin put Sprite/soda/squirt on top as a floater, it ceases to be an old fashioned and just becomes an abomination to all that is holy.

Yep. First time I went to Madison for an Iowa/WI game, a buddy and I ordered an OF and it was horrible. Admittedly, I didn’t know their standard version is Brandy and had to ask for a substitute; but the fact they added sprite to it, it tasted like sugar water with red food coloring.
These are actually pretty good if you make them with good Brandy. Wisconsin bars usually make these with cheap plastic handle Brandy because most Sconnies only care about getting drunk on the cheap.

I haven’t had an OF in many years, but if you’re drinking brown liquor, it’s a solid option. My fave brown liquor drink though is a rusty nail but I mix those at home, most bartenders look at you like you’re from another planet if you order one.

A couple of nights my wife and I were out to dinner with another couple. I ordered an Old Fashioned using Bulleit bourbon. The other husband ordered a Scotch Old Fashioned.

Now I have had rye whiskey or bourbon in an Old Fashioned but never scotch. I guess I am not “worldly” enough to know about that particular drink. I did order one after I finished my Bulleit and it was decent.

Not even I!
Why would one want to take 2 great drinks (provided the scotch is a whisky) and mix them? I would have an Old Fashioned before dinner…..and a fine single malt after dinner….,,.But that’s just me and I’m old and a Roosevelt Democrat!

I haven’t had an OF in many years, but if you’re drinking brown liquor, it’s a solid option. My fave brown liquor drink though is a rusty nail but I mix those at home, most bartenders look at you like you’re from another planet if you order one.
Some places don’t carry Drambuie. As you know it is an ingredient for a Rusty Nail.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious

My wife and I went out to dinner tonight with a different couple from out East. The gentleman ordered a Scotch Old Fashioned.
It muse be more common than I realize.

List of ways to drink Scotch:

1. Neat

End of list

False.

1. Neat
2. With a splash of water
3. Original Hot Toddy (so no lemon just hot water and brown sugar)
4. Rusty Nail
5. Brown Butter Scotch Old Fashioned
6. Blood and Sand (with an unpeated Speyside)
7. Godfather
8. Penicillin

False.

1. Neat
2. With a splash of water
4. Rusty Nail
7. Godfather
8. Penicillin
I’ve never heard of the Blood & Sand, so I looked it up. I’m going to have to give that a shot.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Never heard of doing that but I'd give it a try. Seems like it would offend the scotch purists though.

In Wisconsin, brandy old fashioneds are popular and also terrible.
You folks are cretins for drinking old fashions any other way than with Brandy.

I had an Oaxaca Old Fashioned tonight.

Casa Noble Anjou tequila, a hint of agave sweetness and a dash of orange bitters.

Mexican restaurant.
Love a Oaxaca OF. I like to do half to full oz of a smokey mezcal and 1.5oz of an anejo.

False.

1. Neat
2. With a splash of water (natural spring, room temp)
4. Rusty Nail
7. Godfather
8. Penicillin

I haven’t explored the world of scotch old fashioned, but for a change of pace I recommend Hibeki Harmony. I would put this up against any bourbon out there in terms of its ability to pair with orange. It is great neat or on the rocks, but as an old fashioned it is exceptional.

suntory-hibiki-japanese-harmony-whisky__52544.1597161746.jpg
Thanks!

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
There is a new restaurant by the people that own Barn Town in WDM called Guest House that has a Wisky/Minny lake vibe that serves Brandy OF’s. It is located at the opposite end of the strip mall from BT. Good menu for drinks and food with fish and seafood to go with plenty of meat options. I highly recommend it. Good new causal place. I prefer they my OF’s Rye OF with Templeton Rye 12 year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT