ADVERTISEMENT

Scotch Old Fashioned

An Iowa fan

HR All-American
Dec 12, 2019
A couple of nights my wife and I were out to dinner with another couple. I ordered an Old Fashioned using Bulleit bourbon. The other husband ordered a Scotch Old Fashioned.

Now I have had rye whiskey or bourbon in an Old Fashioned but never scotch. I guess I am not “worldly” enough to know about that particular drink. I did order one after I finished my Bulleit and it was decent.
This couple was from New Jersey. Is this more common out east?

You guys ever had a Scotch Old Fashioned?

Reactions: jasonrann
A couple of nights my wife and I were out to dinner with another couple. I ordered an Old Fashioned using Bulleit bourbon. The other husband ordered a Scotch Old Fashioned.

Now I have had rye whiskey or bourbon in an Old Fashioned but never scotch. I guess I am not “worldly” enough to know about that particular drink. I did order one after I finished my Bulleit and it was decent.
This couple was from New Jersey. Is this more common out east.

I haven't. My personal preference would be rye or bourbon, not sure I would like the peatiness of scotch mucking up the drink.

I haven’t explored the world of scotch old fashioned, but for a change of pace I recommend Hibeki Harmony. I would put this up against any bourbon out there in terms of its ability to pair with orange. It is great neat or on the rocks, but as an old fashioned it is exceptional.

suntory-hibiki-japanese-harmony-whisky__52544.1597161746.jpg

I have not. Scotch is fine, but it definitely lags behind bourbon or rye for me. But a smoky islay OF may be pretty decent.

And if you muddle fruit in your OF, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: hawkifann
List of ways to drink Scotch:

1. Neat

End of list
When I went to a place in DC the dude used a dropper to place a drop of water in some scotch that I would consider expensive. Is that not normal?
I’m not a big scotch drinker, was meeting a friend before dinner, and only had the one drink there and they had much more expensive scotch than I tried. Japanese scotch is apparently sought after and can get quite expensive.

When I went to a place in DC the dude used a dropper to place a drop of water in some scotch that I would consider expensive. Is that not normal?
I’m not a big scotch drinker, was meeting a friend before dinner, and only had the one drink there and they had much more expensive scotch than I tried. Japanese scotch is apparently sought after and can get quite expensive.
Small splash of water is acceptable. Been told it helps to bring out aeromatics and additional flavor. But with room temperature water and not through ice.

If it's a relatively sweet Old Fashioned and the Scotch is quite peaty, I think that would be a pretty gross flavor combo.

I prefer rye, then bourbon, then brandy for my OFs.

Reactions: artradley
If it's a relatively sweet Old Fashioned and the Scotch is quite peaty, I think that would be a pretty gross flavor combo.

Scotch and old fashioned both make me think of the 50’s-70’s classy manly man. I wonder if some wires got confused somewhere and someone decided they go together. It doesn’t sound right.

I guess I would just get the scotch. Why would I want to muck it up with all of that other stuff?

Brandy is fine, but when those neanderthals in Wisconsin put Sprite/soda/squirt on top as a floater, it ceases to be an old fashioned and just becomes an abomination to all that is holy.

Brandy is fine, but when those neanderthals in Wisconsin put Sprite/soda/squirt on top as a floater, it ceases to be an old fashioned and just becomes an abomination to all that is holy.
Yep. First time I went to Madison for an Iowa/WI game, a buddy and I ordered an OF and it was horrible. Admittedly, I didn’t know their standard version is Brandy and had to ask for a substitute; but the fact they added sprite to it, it tasted like sugar water with red food coloring.

The only Scotch cocktail I will drink is a penicillin. I make my own ginger syrup and float a little Laphroaig on top.
Can't stand a Rob Roy.

I like scotch so I'd give it a try. Bourbon is my favorite, not a rye guy personally.

I like variety when drinking, scotch neat or on the rocks is good to me. Same with Bourbon, this reminds me of the steak threads where some people only grill a steak the same way at home. I like to mix it up. Having the same thing the same way just seems boring to me.

Reactions: torbee

Some experts say a single drop of water helps any whiskey. A guy who runs a distillery around here explained it to me once, but I didn't care enough to pay attention why and I'm too lazy to Google it now.

But yes, it is a thing.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
OP:

Bourbon = Old Fashioned
Rye = Manhattan
Scotch = Neat

Lived on the east coast since 1995 and I have never heard of anyone making an Old Fashion with Scotch. Others have pointed out why it sounds like a terrible idea.

I sometimes put a shot or so of grapefruit Squirt in my old fashioned to "freshen" it up a little :)

But then, I was raised in the land of Friday fish fries and supper clubs.

Reactions: beanerhawk

I haven’t had that that I can remember (though I’ve made rum old fashioned, which is fantastic. I have made a few Rob Roys over the years, which is basically a Scotch Manhattan. Good stuff. I’ll have to try it, but I would think the Scotch would play better with the sweet vermouth than with the simple syrup.

I sometimes put a shot or so of grapefruit Squirt in my old fashioned to "freshen" it up a little :)

But then, I was raised in the land of Friday fish fries and supper clubs.
I'll do that with sugar free squirt also. It's good. Not quite a shot but probably half for the sweet/sour taste it gives it.

Reactions: torbee
Are you sure it was water in the dropper and not bitters instead?

May have been answered later in the thread, but adding a bit of water to scotch is normal, as it helps release the flavors therein. Or at least this is what I learned during my visit to Scotland; and I'ms told they know a little bit about the topic.

Reactions: drew_hawk
Are you sure it was water in the dropper and not bitters instead?
Yeah I asked him about it. While the other people were into the scotch I was asking the bartender dude about the place. The walls were lined with scotch and they had one of those library ladders on rails to get up to some of it. Interesting place but I’m not a scotch person and paying $30-100 for an amount of booze that was basically like a splash out of a bottle isn’t my thing, some of that stuff was way more than$100 for that taste too.

May have been answered later in the thread, but adding a bit of water to scotch is normal, as it helps release the flavors therein. Or at least this is what I learned during my visit to Scotland; and I'ms told they know a little bit about the topic.
Oh it had flavor, something like caramel that was recovered from a house fire and then had alcohol poured over it and then they bottled it.

• Haha
Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT