ADVERTISEMENT

Seattle Tips

Originally posted by heat_dawg:
Originally posted by JMNSHO:
Seattle sounds kinda douchey after reading this thread. Does Frasier still live there?
It's filled with hipsters and hippies that think they are better and smarter than what they are. If you have any questions I will answer them if I can but beleive me I spend as much time as I can in Eastern Washington which is the exact opposite of Seattle.

Seattle is as far to the left as you can get and Eastern Washington is pretty far to the right politically. Im not a political guy but I spend my time over there chasing walleyes and the hippies on this side wont let walleyes over here becuase they eat all the pretty trout.
this

Seattle sounds kinda douchey after reading this thread. Does Frasier still live there?
It's filled with hipsters and hippies that think they are better and smarter than what they are. If you have any questions I will answer them if I can but beleive me I spend as much time as I can in Eastern Washington which is the exact opposite of Seattle.

Seattle is as far to the left as you can get and Eastern Washington is pretty far to the right politically. Im not a political guy but I spend my time over there chasing walleyes and the hippies on this side wont let walleyes over here becuase they eat all the pretty trout.
If you're so anti-Seattle, then why did you used to tell everyone here that's where you live, before I called you out on it?

Tats is good downtown. I also like Delicatus for sandwiches. Salumi is super popular and gets rave reviews, but I have admittedly never eaten there.

Originally posted by stevenpatrick:

If you're so anti-Seattle, then why did you used to tell everyone here that's where you live, before I called you out on it?

Tats is good downtown. I also like Delicatus for sandwiches. Salumi is super popular and gets rave reviews, but I have admittedly never eaten there.
As I have stated before I am not so much anti-Seattle as I am anti-Big City. It's just not for me. If it is for you then have at it. The world is your oyster. Smelling hippies, looking at garbage and having people beg me for change at every corner isn't really my cup of tea. Sorry.

And also I have stated in the past every time you bring this up which obtw is a bit creepy, I said "here in Seattle" to which you responded why would you say "here in Seattle when you live in Arlington which is almost 40 miles away". You knew I was from Arlington so obviously you used my information by my screen name to know where I live. So I wasn't trying to be cool by making people beleive I lived in Seattle. If I was I would have put Seattle, WA where it said Arlington, Wa. I said here in Seattle for the good folks in Iowa who I am sure don't have a clue where Arlington, Washington is. I never meant to imply I lived in Seattle and I'm not sure why you are so obsessed with this. Please let it go. Please.

Now back to the regurlary scheduled program. If your looking for stuff to do I wouldn't start booking charters to Westport, WA which is ocean fishing. They just opened up Rock Fish and Ling Cod fishing and the weather has been rough. It's quite a drive from Seattle and if you get there and it's nasty the coast guard won't let the charters go out. You will get your money back but it's a wasted day.

Feel free to buy weed while your here. Plenty of shops around selling it. You can smoke it right on the streets and nobody is going to ticket you. The DA will not prosecute marijuana charges so if rockin the ganj is your thing then you should be happy.

This post was edited on 3/16 12:27 PM by heat_dawg

Im too old to go there any more but I keep hearing about Kitten's Caboret which is a gentleman's club. They seem to love it.

Also I did another tourist thing a few months ago and I thought it was pretty cool. If you are really into music you should visit the Seattle EMP. It's a pretty cool place with music and movies. They have a sound booth where you can see what it's like to be on the field at the Clink and the 12th man cheering around you. Everybody had a good time there. My daughter made a music video although she had to wait in line to do it.

A few places to go for food, if you want good food and aren't worried about the price. Go to John Howie's for sure.

I'd recommend any Tom Douglas restaurant, Lola & Serious Pie are my favorites.

If you're in for an adventure, check out Lunchbox Laboratory, or any of the other gastro pubs in the region.

There are tons of great places to eat and should be able to find anything you want. There are also quite a few great food trucks in Seattle, just have to do your research to find out where they are.

Originally posted by SeattleHawkeye:
A few places to go for food, if you want good food and aren't worried about the price. Go to John Howie's for sure.

If you're in for an adventure, check out Lunchbox Laboratory, or any of the other gastro pubs in the region.

There are tons of great places to eat and should be able to find anything you want. There are also quite a few great food trucks in Seattle, just have to do your research to find out where they are.
Theres a bunch straight out from Pike Market on Pike street. A guy who started out on a cart and now has a monster food truck is Japan Dog. I've never been so inclined to get a dog but he seems to be doing good.

Also right near there is Osaka Teryiaki. It's a total dive but it's pretty good.

Originally posted by DogBoyRy:

SP can give more but I use to go there on business lot and can help.

Do not stay at the airport - Nothing to do out there. Renton and south is a dump. Dtown is best.
Don't rent a car unless you want to sightsee. Airport is close to dtown and easy to get around.
If you rent a car go around UW, Mercer Island, waterfalls out to the East and obviously dtown/market area.
Avoid the tourist eating spots - lot's of neat places that aren't on lists. If you want the top places and not on the expense account or wealthy as SP some nice places have great early happy hour bar specials - example is $6 cburger basket at Mck & Scmidts( of course a glass of wine or beer will be $6-8 also).
This is probably the biggest list of "duhs" I have ever seen. No kidding don't stay near the airport. No kidding don't stay in Renton. There's plenty of hotel space in and around downtown. There's a train that goes from the airport to said downtown airports. Duh. And if you rent a car, don't go to offing UW or Mercer Island. There's nothing to see there.
Also, what kind of restaurant advice is this? It's literally worthless. You don't name a single place to go, and you typed up the longest sentence ever about the subject. I seriously doubt if you've spent any time in Seattle.
arguably the greatest post in SPs posting career. Vintage Stevenpatrick...congrats on a job well done.

If you are a guy that is looking for a possible trophy Walleye the lower columbia is popping out monsters right now.

A guide down there that could help you is Kimo Gabriel of Gabriel guides. It's a good drive from Seattle so it would be a Saturday thing and he's probably already booked if not fishing a tournament this weekend. But he could direct you to other guides.

When was the last time you were in Seattle? The John Howie there closed and lunchbox laboratory went corporate and now sucks.

My Tom Douglas restaurant pick is Palace Kitchen. Although they don't allow kids, which may deter some travelers from going there.

And heat-dawg, you need to stop hanging around 2nd and Pine and see more of the city. I rarely if ever see dirty hippies, garbage, or panhandlers north of Lake Union.

I doubt anyone will be overly impressed with the BBQ in Seattle because most people that are from good BBQ spots believe there are no good BBQ spots anywhere else. However, down by the stadiums is Pecos BBQ and I challenge you to get the HOT. We had a guy working with us from Dallas and he went on and on about how he has never met a hot BBQ he couldn't handle. It floored him.

Medium is as hot as I can take it and my head sweats eating that. It's good though.

This post was edited on 3/16 2:16 PM by heat_dawg

Didn't know the John Howie in Seattle closed, still worth going to Bellevue for though.

As far as LL, I don't think they suck and still enjoy the food, and there are plenty of other gastro pubs around.

And regardless, you just seem to be out to pick a fight with everyone on this thread, give it up already.

No doubt we will have a couple cars. Gonna do a VRBO and get a big house but not sure on the exact area. Part of the family is headed up to Vancouver for some World Cup soccer I believe. All I know. I'm sure I could google around and find what I'm looking for but figured why not ask the fine folks here while on the subject.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

A friend and I just booked our flights to Seattle. Coming back Monday so we better get to Sunday. I love the Queen Anne area and the different bars. Looking at hotels now. I have a friend in a suburb but I want to be downtown and enjoy the crowd. If you have never been to an opening weekend of the tourney- it is a blast talking to all the other fans of different teams.

Didn't know the John Howie in Seattle closed, still worth going to Bellevue for though.

As far as LL, I don't think they suck and still enjoy the food, and there are plenty of other gastro pubs around.

And regardless, you just seem to be out to pick a fight with everyone on this thread, give it up already.
With all the excellent restaurants in and around downtown Seattle and near Key Arena, no it isn't worth driving to Bellevue to eat there.

Again, how long ago did you live in the area? And I may be wrong, but aren't you the poster that tried to organize some kind of fund raiser party in Iowa City for a tailgate and then ended up ripping some Hawkeyes off when it was all a hoax?

Forgot to add- I live in Minneapolis so flying out of here. Ticket was $587 roundtrip- good connections.

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:
No doubt we will have a couple cars. Gonna do a VRBO and get a big house but not sure on the exact area. Part of the family is headed up to Vancouver for some World Cup soccer I believe. All I know. I'm sure I could google around and find what I'm looking for but figured why not ask the fine folks here while on the subject.
Breweries-there are quite a few that are walking distance from each other in Ballard, which is a popular neighborhood NW of downtown. My favorites in that area are Stoup and Hilliards. Reuben's is also very popular but I'm not a huge fan of their beers. I am in the minority in that though. The best brewery within the city is probably Fremont Brewing. That would be my pick if i could only choose one. Another excellent one off the beaten path is Holy Mountain, which just opened but makes great beers. Don't bother with Pyramid or Pike brewing. Their beers are average and their food is mostly awful. Basically they stay in business off of naive tourists.

No, that was a different poster, Tom or Blair can verify that.

I still live in the area, just most of my time is spent on the east side.

And I respectfully disagree with you, I think it's worth driving to Bellevue, you make it sound like it's way out of the way. Not like it's going to take them forever to get there unless they are trying to drive over to Bellevue from Seattle in the morning during rush hour.

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:
Breweries-there are quite a few that are walking distance from each other in Ballard, which is a popular neighborhood NW of downtown.  My favorites in that area are Stoup and Hilliards.  Reuben's is also very popular but I'm not a huge fan of their beers.  I am in the minority in that though.  The best brewery within the city is probably Fremont Brewing.  That would be my pick if i could only choose one. Another excellent one off the beaten path is Holy Mountain, which just opened but makes great beers.  Don't bother with Pyramid or Pike brewing.  Their beers are average and their food is mostly awful.  Basically they stay in business off of naive tourists.

Appreciate it.

Last time I was in Ballard it was full of soccer fans wearing scarfs and looking like a bad frat party.
Good call SP - white trash tard. You probably think that's cool..

Originally posted by DogBoyRy:

Last time I was in Ballard it was full of soccer fans wearing scarfs and looking like a bad frat party.
Good call SP - white trash tard. You probably think that's cool..
The other bar he favorably mentioned is a well known transvestite hook-up spot.

I'm the last guy that would give micro breweries and craft beer advice. I drink Coors Light, Bud LIght, Miller Light, Natural Light, Busch Light, basically whatever is on sale light. I've tried about 50 or so of those beers and they all taste like crap to me. SP would probably be the guy for that.

Also could have been a good chance for people to go skiing but t he winter has been so mild I believe the ski resorts are temporarily closed due to lack of snow.

I'm the last guy that would give micro breweries and craft beer advice. I drink Coors Light, Bud LIght, Miller Light, Natural Light, Busch Light, basically whatever is on sale light. I've tried about 50 or so of those beers and they all taste like crap to me. SP would probably be the guy for that.

Also could have been a good chance for people to go skiing but t he winter has been so mild I believe the ski resorts are temporarily closed due to lack of snow.
Don't bother skiing. Conditions are horrid everywhere, even with the snow yesterday. If you have one day, go to Pike Place market early, then take a ferry to bainbridge and check out Winslow. Come back, have dinner near the downtown area, and hit up some bars.

The best beer bar in the downtown area is Whiskey Bar. The Pine Box is awesome and highly advised, but it may be a bit of a walk from the downtown hotel core. Short cab ride though.

A couple I'd check out, and only if you decide to leave downtown Seattle and explore the region would be Geaux Brewery in Bellevue, and Black Raven in Redmond. Also, there are quite a few in Woodinville along with a number of wineries that produce great wine. I'm also a fan of Elliot Bay Brewing, they make great chili as well.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:10 AM by SeattleHawkeye

Is it strange that one of the first things I thought of after seeing we were playing in Seattle was, "I'll bet we'll get some old-fashioned StevenPatrick out of this" so far I haven't been disappointed. Now we just need someone (other than Torbee) to meet him and get some proof.

A couple I'd check out, and only if you decide to leave downtown Seattle and explore the region would be Geaux Brewery in Bellevue, and Black Raven in Redmond. Also, there are quite a few in Woodinville along with a number of wineries that produce great wine. I'm also a fan of Elliot Bay Brewing, they make great chili as well.

Again, why would anyone head to the East Side while visiting Seattle for a long weekend? Most visitors will be staying in the downtown area, and probably won't have a car. Geaux brewery is OK, but not on par with the Ballard breweries I mentioned earlier. And what do you think visitors would enjoy more-strolling around Old Ballard visiting breweries and sitting outside, or having a Black Raven beer in an East Side strip mall out in the boonies? It's time to change your screen name to "RedmondHawkeye."

A wineries tour would be a decent idea for visitors, considering there are shuttles that will pick you up and take you to wineries, then drive you back.

Again, why would anyone head to the East Side while visiting Seattle for a long weekend? Most visitors will be staying in the downtown area, and probably won't have a car. Geaux brewery is OK, but not on par with the Ballard breweries I mentioned earlier. And what do you think visitors would enjoy more-strolling around Old Ballard visiting breweries and sitting outside, or having a Black Raven beer in an East Side strip mall out in the boonies? It's time to change your screen name to "RedmondHawkeye."

A wineries tour would be a decent idea for visitors, considering there are shuttles that will pick you up and take you to wineries, then drive you back.
Man do I miss a good ol' fashion SP pissing match!

Or Steven, you could get over your small penis issue. You're acting like a little child and god forbid anyone disagrees with you or tries to give an alternative opinion.

The eastside is not out of the way, most places are within 30 minutes of drive time, and you're right, if they don't have a car, they probably won't leave Seattle. But I'm sure some will or want a variety of things to do that aren't limited to where you feel everyone should go.

One thing you haven't mentioned, people aren't going to be walking to Ballard, so even if they don't have a car, people are going to require alternative means of transportation, which for their own personal preference, may not matter on the time.

Personally, I'd rather spend a day at the wineries in Woodinville and some excellent breweries in the same general area, than I would in Ballard.
This post was edited on 3/17 11:44 AM by SeattleHawkeye

Or Steven, you could get over your small penis issue. You're acting like a little child and god forbid anyone disagrees with you or tries to give an alternative opinion.

The eastside is not out of the way, most places are within 30 minutes of drive time, and you're right, if they don't have a car, they probably won't leave Seattle. But I'm sure some will or want a variety of things to do that aren't limited to where you feel everyone should go.

One thing you haven't mentioned, people aren't going to be walking to Ballard, so even if they don't have a car, people are going to require alternative means of transportation, which for their own personal preference, may not matter on the time.

Personally, I'd rather spend a day at the wineries in Woodinville and some excellent breweries in the same general area, than I would in Ballard.
This post was edited on 3/17 11:44 AM by SeattleHawkeye
So, for the record, you would recommend new visitors to Seattle to go to the East side and drink beers in strip mall breweries, and shop in chain stores over seeing the unique old charm and world-class dining and breweries of the Ballard area? FYI Ballard would be much easier to get to than Bellevue/Kirkland, especially on a Saturday.

And I wouldn't disagree with you so vehemently if you had any good recommendations for visitors. I, and others, have mentioned stuff besides Ballard, and have steered people toward good places in areas that they are highly likely to frequent due to locale and ease. You keep pitching the East side like it's a must see. Which it really isn't. Aside from the wineries, which may be worth a trip for some oenophiles.

Just curious-have you ever lived west of Lake Washington?

Actually, I've never once said the East side is a must see. The problem is you act like there is nothing worth seeing on the East side other than the wineries, and through this entire thread, you've acted like no one else has good recommendations, regardless of where they are at.

Yes, I've lived west of Lake Washington, I enjoyed my time living in Greenlake & Fremont neighborhoods. And they aren't for everyone. I have plenty of friends who live in Ballard who don't go out anywhere in Ballard because they can't stand the people that hang out there.

I agree, there is tons of world class dining and breweries on that side (unlike you I haven't slammed anywhere you suggested), just adding other options as they exist elsewhere in the greater metropolitan area, and what may be your cup of tea, might not be someone elses. Trying to get to Bellevue/Kirkland on a Saturday will take you a whopping 30 minutes generally, even by bus on a Saturday unless there is a lot of traffic around UW.

Actually, I've never once said the East side is a must see. The problem is you act like there is nothing worth seeing on the East side other than the wineries, and through this entire thread, you've acted like no one else has good recommendations, regardless of where they are at.

Yes, I've lived west of Lake Washington, I enjoyed my time living in Greenlake & Fremont neighborhoods. And they aren't for everyone. I have plenty of friends who live in Ballard who don't go out anywhere in Ballard because they can't stand the people that hang out there.

I agree, there is tons of world class dining and breweries on that side (unlike you I haven't slammed anywhere you suggested), just adding other options as they exist elsewhere in the greater metropolitan area, and what may be your cup of tea, might not be someone elses. Trying to get to Bellevue/Kirkland on a Saturday will take you a whopping 30 minutes generally, even by bus on a Saturday unless there is a lot of traffic around UW.I would say 90% of the visitors coming would prefer Seattle proper. But if you are able to convince people to spend $80 round trip to and from Bellevue to go to average breweries in strip malls and eat at chain restaurants, then more power to you.
FYI there is a big difference between "going out in Ballard" (which I never advocated for here) and doing brewery tours in the afternoon or grabbing dinner there at one of the world-class restaurants that populate the 'hood. And for the under 35 crowd of visitors here, I would say Ballard would be a fun nightlife to see. How old are you and your buddies that hate Ballard anyway? And are you even going to the game Friday?

Yep, I'm going to the game on Friday.

As far as age I'm in my mid 40's, and you're correct on the age thing, I lived over there and hung out there when I was under 35 :)

I still head over that way, but it's just for dinner or events.

I has there a few years ago and had a decent time walking around the area by the Public Market (alley) area where there were some OK places that are probably touristy. (Irish Bar, Inn by the Market?, Greek place in the Market) I also walked around Belltown and liked the divey places and sort of hipster places that were there at the time. (Moore Theatre/Hotel/Bar, ect.)

I watched some Anthony Bourdain? Layover show and he was talking about Capital Hill quite a bit and suggested it has surpassed Belltown.

The area south by the ballpark/ stadium might have filled in since I was there and is probably worth a look just to view Safeco and the Qwest fields up close. The Mariners park is the only retractable baseball stadium that is worth a crap. The rest are gimmicky airplane hangers with a small sunfroof that suck, but Safeco feels like a real ballpark when the roof is open (or more accurately moved off to the side)

I'd probably head to Bainbridge Island on the Ferry for sure and hang out in Winslow for a few hours, then hit some Pioneer Square places as well not far from the Boat Landing.

There might be some things to do around Lake Union as well.

I have heard West Seattle's Alki Beach is worth a look as well. This is within view of the waterfront to the Southwest. Maybe you will run into Eddie V. since he lives within view of the water in Alki.

I guess you could find a big cardboard box and hang out in front of the King County Courthouse like all the deadbeats do and save the cost of a hotel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT