ADVERTISEMENT

SEC to stay at 16 teams

I mentioned this in another thread. Both the SEC and Big 10 are done….at least for the next several years (if not more). Notre Dame isn’t joining a conference for football, either.

Pac 10 and Big 12 might still do something.

Reactions: pepsicock
I mentioned this in another thread. Both the SEC and Big 10 are done….at least for the next several years (if not more). Notre Dame isn’t joining a conference for football, either.

Pac 10 and Big 12 might still do something.
Wasn't the Big 12 supposed to meet with the Arizona schools, Colorado and Utah?

Has that happened? Is it scheduled to happen?

The only thing I'm really certain of is that virtually all reports/articles/tweets/posts about what the B1G and SEC are going to do next are from people who are just as clueless as the rest of us.

But if it makes Pepsi happy, I'm pulling for this report to be true.

The only thing I'm really certain of is that virtually all reports/articles/tweets/posts about what the B1G and SEC are going to do next are from people who are just as clueless as the rest of us.

But if it makes Pepsi happy, I'm pulling for this report to be true.
Lol, ya, I really only hate Clemson because I feel like I owe it to Pepsi.

He’s so supportive of the Hawks that I feel like I naturally need to hate the Tigers for him.

Lol, ya, I really only hate Clemson because I feel like I owe it to Pepsi.

He’s so supportive of the Hawks that I feel like I naturally need to hate the Tigers for him.
Billie Joe Armstrong Applause GIF by Green Day

I hope Ohio State just obliterates Notre Dame in September.

ND has it pretty easy in the ACC at the moment. I think getting blitzed by Ohio St., which should happen, might make them realize what they need to do to win in an actual conference. I only worry that OSU can sometimes play pretty sloppy early in the season.

Think about NDs big rivalry games. They benefit from USC, Miami, Michigan, etc being down over the last few years.

ND has it pretty easy in the ACC at the moment. I think getting blitzed by Ohio St., which should happen, might make them realize what they need to do to win in an actual conference. I only worry that OSU can sometimes play pretty sloppy early in the season.

Think about NDs big rivalry games. They benefit from USC, Miami, Michigan, etc being down over the last few years.
Also helps they haven’t played Michigan and Miami in the past 2 and 4 years, and don’t play Michigan until 2033.

When that day comes when ND wants in, it would be awesome if the BIG said, "Ooops. Too late." It won't happen because, you know, money, but it's a dream I cannot escape.
We know ND would never want to be in the SEC. They do have standards and they do not fit there.

Clemson is going to die on the vine with the $$$ they'll be getting from the ACC over the next 14 years. The Gamecocks will soon be pulling in $100M per year in 2025, while the Tigers are getting $35M per year. Clemson's best years are behind them with that binding ACC contract until 2036.
Back in the day when South Carolina pulled out the ACC in 1971 Clemson was supposed to follow us. But the got scared and didn't. In the long run South Carolina got lucky and joined the SEC. The best thing that ever happened to USC

Reactions: bumpstock
Although not a fan of these schools, this is just sad for the overall future of CFB.

This is dead right. This is what has destroyed the beautiful sport of CFB.

Iowa’s benefiting like no other. Iowa’s going to dominate the sport like never before. Even with all of our advantages, this sucks!

I think people fail to understand that "culture" is an important part of B1G, not just "university". B1G understands Wisconsin may witness students porking at a concert, or Vodka Samm starring for 30 seconds on a Game Day story. With Oregon or Cal, they get students blowing up animal labs, and the Stanford "band". There's a fine line, but B1G-worthy schools, students and surrounding communities instinctively stay on the right side of it.
Iowa profs may want to abolish football and exclude all but LGBTQ types from prominence. At Berkley, they want to remove "stigma" and call pedos "minor attracted persons". Even Penn Staters hang their heads in shame, while at Berkley, Paterno would still be ostracized, BUT, Sandusky would be a martyr.
Subtle, bleary distinction, but B1G worthiness is keenly understood by the worthy.

Back in the day when South Carolina pulled out the ACC in 1971 Clemson was supposed to follow us. But the got scared and didn't. In the long run South Carolina got lucky and joined the SEC. The best thing that ever happened to USC
I think the SEC is going to poach the "New Big 12" very soon, and add the following teams (in addition to OK & TX):

1. Oklahoma St.
2. Houston
3. Central Fla., and
4. (either Baylor, Tx Tech, Kansas St, or West Virginia).

This gives them 20 teams within the SEC Region, and none of these teams needs to pay exit fees if the moves occurs in 2025. This move would probably result in the B1G adding:

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Cal
4. Stanford

Again, none of these teams needs to pay exit fees if the move occurs in 2025.

Dayum.

"You’re the guy whose band has one song get a little bit of radio play and you start comparing yourself to John Lennon. You start telling your friends that you’ll probably hang out with Springsteen in a couple of weeks. You’re the guy at the bar telling a girl how he just got an acting gig on a soap opera and then Brad Pitt walks in, and she stops listening. You’re the girl who gets stopped by the bouncer at the door of the hot club right after he just let 10 other prettier girls in. You just discovered your place in the pecking order, and it hurts."

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think the SEC is going to poach the "New Big 12" very soon, and add the following teams (in addition to OK & TX):

1. Oklahoma St.
2. Houston
3. Central Fla., and

This gives them 20 teams within the SEC Region, and none of these teams needs to pay exit fees if the moves occurs in 2025. This move would probably result in the B1G adding:

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Cal
4. Stanford

The Big 12 schools would still have a exit fee of 2 years equal to 2 years of the last media contract. This agreement was signed at our last media contract and was for 99 years. That would be about 90 million dollars for each school. Texas and Oklahoma are still required to pay this whenever they decide to exit.
Since media payments are made to the conference, there payments will not be disbursed to these universities.

The Grant of Media (GOR)rights will expire in 2025 and teams could enter into a new media contract with no penalty to the Big 12. If they leave prior to 2025, there media rights stay with the Big 12 conference until that contract expires.

1. Oklahoma St.
2. Houston
3. Central Fla., and

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Cal
4. Stanford

Not going to happen. Every team that is added, except ND, results in decreased and not increased revenue to SEC or Big Ten members.

Reactions: JStandefer
The Big 12 schools would still have a exit fee of 2 years equal to 2 years of the last media contract. This agreement was signed at our last media contract and was for 99 years. That would be about 90 million dollars for each school. Texas and Oklahoma are still required to pay this whenever they decide to exit.
Since media payments are made to the conference, there payments will not be disbursed to these universities.

The Grant of Media (GOR)rights will expire in 2025 and teams could enter into a new media contract with no penalty to the Big 12. If they leave prior to 2025, there media rights stay with the Big 12 conference until that contract expires.
"Again, none of these teams needs to pay exit fees if the move occurs in 2025." ~ You don't need to repeat it!

They can agree to move today to the SEC in 2025.

"Again, none of these teams needs to pay exit fees if the move occurs in 2025." ~ You don't need to repeat it!

They can agree to move today to the SEC in 2025.
Unless the league votes to dissolve, all teams leaving the Big 12 would have to pay a exit fee. This was for 99 years signed at last media contract.

The Grant of Media Rights expires in 2025.

So to leave there are 2 fees. (GOR and exit fee)

1) Approximately 90 million dollar exit fee (99year contract)

2) If leaving prior to 2025 (GOR) it would be a estimated 47 million per year.

The author of the article stating that no team would have to pay a exit fee is false.

Unless the league votes to dissolve, all teams leaving the Big 12 would have to pay a exit fee. This was for 99 years signed at last media contract.

The Grant of Media Rights expires in 2025.

So to leave there are 2 fees. (GOR and exit fee)

1) Approximately 90 million dollar exit fee (99year contract)

2) If leaving prior to 2025 (GOR) it would be a estimated 47 million per year.

The author of the article stating that no team would have to pay a exit fee is false.
99 Year Contract?

You people in the Little 12 are nuts!

There are 2 fees for leaving.

1) GOR that expires 2025
2) Big 12 Conference exit fee (2 yrs of the last media contract)

After 2025, combined exit fees ( TX & Oklahoma) are estimated to be 160 -180 mil.

The only way around this is to get a majority of conference members to vote to dissolve the Big 12.

If it was just the GOR, TX and Oklahoma would already be in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT