ADVERTISEMENT

SEC unlikely to go to 9 conf games because it adds one loss to half of the schools and hurts CFP chances. Something BIG 10 doesn't understand!

Letsgohawks411

HR All-State
Feb 15, 2015
SEC leadership has been FAR superior to Big Ten leadership over the past decade. Big Ten leadership has made mistake after mistake while the SEC doesn't make stupid decisions that hurts their own conference. Why in the world does it make sense for some teams to have 5 conference road games while other only have 4??? Warren was a clusterfuch managing the Big Ten through covid. We need to get conference leadership that is worth a damn and go back to 8 conf games as the conference is at a huge disadvantage compared with conferences who only have 8.

Plus add the fact that one of their noncon games usually against a terrible FCS school in late November when they want to be resting their starters. I've long advocated that the Big 12 should do the same, especially now that we won't have the round robin, but I bet TV networks don't want all of the extra games most people don't care about in the early part of the year.

SEC leadership has been FAR superior to Big Ten leadership over the past decade. Big Ten leadership has made mistake after mistake while the SEC doesn't make stupid decisions that hurts their own conference. Why in the world does it make sense for some teams to have 5 conference road games while other only have 4??? Warren was a clusterfuch managing the Big Ten through covid. We need to get conference leadership that is worth a damn and go back to 8 conf games as the conference is at a huge disadvantage compared with conferences who only have 8.

I disagree with this. I dont give a shit about what the SEC is doing. The SEC fans are the losers when some of those teams like Bama and Georgia have 4 cream puff pushovers on the schedule.

As a hawk and big 10 fan, every weekend when there are Big 10 conf games it is more exciting in the fall. I have long said I would rather lose to ISU than lose any big 10 game and I mean it (plus I know we are not going to lose all the time to the clowns)

Big 10 games keeps more money with Iowa, they are more exciting for hawk fans, more nerve wracking, and they mean more that playing western illinois

And actually I want to see 10 Big 10 games each year with the new schools being added in. I want to see two divisions again with 8 or 9 teams, play a round robin inside your division and then a championship game.

They can get rid of the ISU game for all I care but even ISU and one other non conf game is enough as there are so many Big 10 teams now

I disagree with this. I dont give a shit about what the SEC is doing. The SEC fans are the losers when some of those teams like Bama and Georgia have 4 cream puff pushovers on the schedule.

As a hawk and big 10 fan, every weekend when there are Big 10 conf games it is more exciting in the fall. I have long said I would rather lose to ISU than lose any big 10 game and I mean it (plus I know we are not going to lose all the time to the clowns)

Big 10 games keeps more money with Iowa, they are more exciting for hawk fans, more nerve wracking, and they mean more that playing western illinois

The only thing that matters IS THE CFP!!!! The SEC is guaranteeing at least 4-5 teams each year and that is the ONLY thing that matters. Big Ten will only get 3 teams in max each year. Who cares about the extra conference game. Our 8-4 years, could have been 9-3 years if we didn’t play an extra road conference game and played Akron at home. We are also losing a home game and all that revenue every other year. It’s f’n stupid for the AD’sto vote yes to that 9 conf game bullsvhitt! Big Ten leadership has been garbage.

so many hypocrite by bitching about Iowa not playing OSU and even Michigan they bitch about not playing enough even though Iowa has played Michigan at least 4 times out of the last 6 seasons.

not to mention how often Iowa has played PSU.

in spite of how many times Iowa has played the big dogs of the East they get ripped for playing a cup cake schedule.

its almost to the point that they want Iowa to LOSE.

Reactions: F5n5
Plus add the fact that one of their noncon games usually against a terrible FCS school in late November when they want to be resting their starters. I've long advocated that the Big 12 should do the same, especially now that we won't have the round robin, but I bet TV networks don't want all of the extra games most people don't care about in the early part of the year.
Speaking of, I just now looked at ISU's upcoming new schedule. How do you think the ole farm college will fare this year? (aside from losing to Iowa of course.... ;))

Northern Iowa
Iowa
At Ohio (famous last words game)
Oklahoma State
At Oklahoma
TCU
At Cincinnati
BYE
At Baylor
Kansas
At BYU
Texas
At Kansas State

Off- Texas Tech, West Virginia, UCF, Houston

ANF

To answer you question, 6-6. 7-5 at the very best. QB isn't quite good enough. Hope I'm wrong about Dekkers. Maybe a new OC will help???

Speaking of, I just now looked at ISU's upcoming new schedule. How do you think the ole farm college will fare this year? (aside from losing to Iowa of course.... ;))

Northern Iowa
Iowa
At Ohio (famous last words game)
Oklahoma State
At Oklahoma
TCU
At Cincinnati
BYE
At Baylor
Kansas
At BYU
Texas
At Kansas State

Off- Texas Tech, West Virginia, UCF, Houston
I am guessing they win a max of 2 to 3 games given what they are about to lose for players.

I realize it would be an uphill battle, and it probably wouldn’t have enough backing, but this is a situation where strength of schedule should have been incorporated into the new playoff system.

Reactions: amahawk
So your saying the SEC is scared to schedule the BIG10? Especially in late cold months where they could get knocked off their inflated ranking?
Sounds like they are running from a fight to me.

Edit: The SEC doesn’t want to hurt any of their teams chances now with a loss to a team with-in conference and any loss to a team out of conference. Early season losses can sometimes be overcome with a late season run. But, I just don’t see them scheduling a home and away BIG10 contender late in season.
However, you could say the same about our schedule as well with Iowa scheduling early patsies like the clowns and others.

Last edited:
There should be a Big Ten vs SEC in season cross over deal. Play each other during season. Conveniently, both will be at 16 teams in 2024. Nobody left out.

If the two conferences want to suck up every last dollar they should do this.
I believe that NCAA D1 will end up like the NFL, 2 conferences with divisions underneath. I also think the lower tier teams (non p5) will end up having to break off into another conference setup in order to compete (or join the 1AA).

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
so many hypocrite by bitching about Iowa not playing OSU and even Michigan they bitch about not playing enough even though Iowa has played Michigan at least 4 times out of the last 6 seasons.

not to mention how often Iowa has played PSU.

in spite of how many times Iowa has played the big dogs of the East they get ripped for playing a cup cake schedule.

its almost to the point that they want Iowa to LOSE.
I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who forgot we played Michigan just last year but now you're just fabricating games against Mich in your mind with "at least 4 times in the last 6 seasons"?

In the last 6 seasons Iowa played Michigan in the regular season twice (19, 22) and got destroyed in Indy in 21. I get the memory goes as you age but Google is always there for you

Only 2 games VS OSU in those 6 seasons. Extremely fortunate

I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who forgot we played Michigan just last year but now you're just fabricating games against Mich in your mind with "at least 4 times in the last 6 seasons"?

In the last 6 seasons Iowa played Michigan in the regular season twice (19, 22) and got destroyed in Indy in 21. I get the memory goes as you age but Google is always there for you

Especially for someone who is pissed off all the time! I can’t imagine your life.

Man that Kirk Ferentz is powerful!!! He tells them who they want and he gets it.

Reactions: F5n5
ISU has been a staple for years the only reason its stopped was because a major fight broke out between the 2 fan bases during and after the game so the UNIVERSITIES decided to stop the series.

there were many fans on both sides that wanted the series restarted. even the state legislator got involved threatening to make it a state law that they play each other, thankfully the BOR got involved and now we have them on the schedule every year instead of having UNI and Drake on the schedule. their reasoning was sound in that
instead of that money leaving the state it would be better spent on the other instate schools.

I believe that NCAA D1 will end up like the NFL, 2 conferences with divisions underneath. I also think the lower tier teams (non p5) will end up having to break off into another conference setup in order to compete (or join the 1AA).
I use to think that, before the playoff expanded to 12.

Now teams like Iowa State have an easier path to the playoff than Iowa does.

No reason to drop down to FCS if you have a shot at the playoff every year.

Iowa likely would need to beat multiple teams like Michigan, Ohio State, USC,UCLA to get in playoff.

Iowa State will need to beat Baylor and TCU to get in. Neither of those is a powerhouse every single year.

Iowa likely would need to beat multiple teams like Michigan, Ohio State, USC,UCLA to get in playoff.

Iowa State will need to beat Baylor and TCU to get in. Neither of those is a powerhouse every single year.
but that's exactly what some of these posters want so that they can have something to bitch about every season.
1st they don't play anybody with their cup cake schedule
then they don't win enough.
Iowa is damned no matter what they do.

I still see the "low level NIL" schools and the like having to form their own league. We were actually starting to get to a point where there was some equality across the field, NIL and these super conferences will\have squashed it.

Reactions: uihawk82
but that's exactly what some of these posters want so that they can have something to bitch about every season.
1st they don't play anybody with their cup cake schedule
then they don't win enough.
Iowa is damned no matter what they do.
Big Ten and SEC could have broken away but they got scared and instead expanded the playoff.

IMO if there is a breakaway it will be the true upper crust and Iowa won’t be on that list.

It’s about money. Fairness and equal opportunity have nothing to do with it.

I still see the "low level NIL" schools and the like having to form their own league. We were actually starting to get to a point where there was some equality across the field, NIL and these super conferences will\have squashed it.
I don’t see it. There is only so much NIL and starting spots to play on. NIL will dry up if you are second or third string. Eventually they will go somewhere to play. Recruiting for the Iowa States and other lesser programs will shift more and more to the portal.

by going to the Super Conferences will just eliminate the need to expand the playoffs.

as it will mean there are fewer teams with fewer losses to be eligible to make the playoffs

You forgot Iowa State would also need to beat Iowa, since they are like a boil on our rear end.

I realize it would be an uphill battle, and it probably wouldn’t have enough backing, but this is a situation where strength of schedule should have been incorporated into the new playoff system.
I think it is, sort of ...

"The 12-team Playoff will be made up of the six conference champions ranked highest by the committee, with no minimum ranking requirement, and the six highest-ranked teams not among the conference champions. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded Nos. 1 through 4 and will receive a first-round bye. The other eight CFP teams would play in the first round (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7, No. 9 at No. 8) held at the higher seed on a campus site or another location selected by the higher seed."

SOS is part of the ranking system, so the 6 non-champion schools that make it need a good schedule to make it IMO.

I've been advocating for years that conference champions should get it. That will help make conference championships meaningful, especially outside the B1G and SEC.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
The University Presidents have to get together and figure out what they want CF to look like. Right now, there is no guidance - conferences do pretty much what they want and schools have a ton of flexibility in noncon scheduling, portal use, NIL, etc. They either don't care, or have no idea what to do.

I think it is, sort of ...

"The 12-team Playoff will be made up of the six conference champions ranked highest by the committee, with no minimum ranking requirement, and the six highest-ranked teams not among the conference champions. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded Nos. 1 through 4 and will receive a first-round bye. The other eight CFP teams would play in the first round (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7, No. 9 at No. 8) held at the higher seed on a campus site or another location selected by the higher seed."

SOS is part of the ranking system, so the 6 non-champion schools that make it need a good schedule to make it IMO.

I've been advocating for years that conference champions should get it. That will help make conference championships meaningful, especially outside the B1G and SEC.
Rankings shouldn't happen until the 3rd week, wouldn't change much, but at least get a gauge for how teams do vs competition instead of just "well they're a blue blood so rank'em high".

to me when the ranking come out should be after week 6 and take a hard look at who these teams have played, also let it be known that who you play and when will affect their ranking
play a FCS school at the end of the season will cost you,

another thing teams MUST win their conference championship to get in,

Reactions: obfuscating
The SEC protects it's teams with an 8-game schedule by keeping potential losses at bay.

The Big Ten makes more money with a 9-game schedule because there is more inventory of desirable games for the TV networks.

The whole issue comes down to what the leagues want to prioritize. Wins/playoff access or money.

There should be a Big Ten vs SEC in season cross over deal. Play each other during season. Conveniently, both will be at 16 teams in 2024. Nobody left out.

If the two conferences want to suck up every last dollar they should do this.
HMMMM I like it. Have them match up according to strength of program. COuld have some sexy matchups

Ohio St vs Georgia
Michigan vs Alabama
Penn State vs LSU
USC vs Oklahoma
Wisconsin vs Florida
UCLA vs Texas
Iowa vs Ole Miss
Purdue vs Tenn
Michigan St vs Auburn
Minnesota vs South Carolina
Maryland vs Missouri
Nebraska vs Texas A&M