ADVERTISEMENT

SEC unlikely to go to 9 conf games because it adds one loss to half of the schools and hurts CFP chances. Something BIG 10 doesn't understand!

HMMMM I like it. Have them match up according to strength of program. COuld have some sexy matchups

Ohio St vs Georgia
Michigan vs Alabama
Penn State vs LSU
USC vs Oklahoma
Wisconsin vs Florida
UCLA vs Texas
Iowa vs Ole Miss
Purdue vs Tenn
Michigan St vs Auburn
Minnesota vs South Carolina
Maryland vs Missouri
Nebraska vs Texas A&M
Illinois vs Miss State
Rutgers vs Arkansas
Indiana vs Kentucky
N'Western vs Vandy
Yes, and have a couple each week. Don't just load them all in September.

The whole issue comes down to what the leagues want to prioritize. Wins/playoff access or money.
Personally, I think the CFP committee needs to force the SEC to step up.

It's ridiculous that they kept the 8-game format for as long as they have...and now vote to continue with it even after adding 2 more schools to the conference.

I believe that if you want to qualify for a spot in the CFP you should play a minimum of 10 games vs "P5" schools ...so if the SEC wants to send 4-5 schools to the playoffs they had at the very least be playing Rutgers/Oregon State/Duke-level teams in 2 of their 4 non-conference games.

Personally, I think the CFP committee needs to force the SEC to step up.

It's ridiculous that they kept the 8-game format for as long as they have...and now vote to continue with it even after adding 2 more schools to the conference.

I believe that if you want to qualify for a spot in the CFP you should play a minimum of 10 games vs "P5" schools ...so if the SEC wants to send 4-5 schools to the playoffs they had at the very least be playing Rutgers/Oregon State/Duke-level teams in 2 of their 4 non-conference games.
Until they lose a National Championship game no one is going to do anything to the SEC

• Angry
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
SEC leadership has been FAR superior to Big Ten leadership over the past decade. Big Ten leadership has made mistake after mistake while the SEC doesn't make stupid decisions that hurts their own conference. Why in the world does it make sense for some teams to have 5 conference road games while other only have 4??? Warren was a clusterfuch managing the Big Ten through covid. We need to get conference leadership that is worth a damn and go back to 8 conf games as the conference is at a huge disadvantage compared with conferences who only have 8.
Follow the money. I believe their contract with ESPN covers the 2024 season. ESPN will not pay them $.01 more for those games. So, absolutely no incentive to add another conference game. That is all it is about. MONEY.

Now, they may add a 9th conference game in the new contract. We'll see. I believe they will. If the conference gets X amount of millions more, by removing a directional school from the schedule, and adding a premium conference game. They'll do it.

Why not 9 conference games? A majority of the 14 schools (8 votes) was needed and the belief is that there were only 5 votes for 9 games.

From a Sports Illustrated writer:

Ross from SI also wrote this:

Something to keep in mind as people hurl insults toward Greg Sankey for the 8-game decision: He works for the SEC presidents, who make such decisions. Though he never publicly took a stance on 8 vs. 9, Sankey suggested that the league continue to add to its value (ie: play 9).

I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who forgot we played Michigan just last year but now you're just fabricating games against Mich in your mind with "at least 4 times in the last 6 seasons"?

In the last 6 seasons Iowa played Michigan in the regular season twice (19, 22) and got destroyed in Indy in 21. I get the memory goes as you age but Google is always there for you

Only 2 games VS OSU in those 6 seasons. Extremely fortunate
I would say only 2 games vs them in the last 6 seasons is about right and statistically playing 7 East Div teams with 3 per year you would expect to play a couple of them twice, and the others 3 times in that span. A little lucky but really not really an anomaly.

Until the playoff committee penalizes them for not playing 9 they will do what they want.

Such a joke...

Reactions: hawkcub
I hope the 8-game blows up in their face when you have 3 teams finish 8-0. Who plays in the conference title game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT