ADVERTISEMENT

Second thoughts about Stevie Nicks

Lone Clone

HR King
May 29, 2001
While I really liked a lot of Fleetwood Mac stuff, especially "Rumours," the fascination with Stevie Nicks always puzzled me. The woman simply whines and mumbles. I remember in the '70s a C.R. radio personality put together a fake ad for a collection of her greatest hits titled "Stevie Nicks: What the HELL is she saying?"

So I'm channel surfing last night and run across a reunion concert by Fleetwood Mac -- the original 5 people -- in Boston, and I watch it for awhile. Nicks is even less comprehensible than before, and unfortunately, age has not been kind to what voice she once had. Seemed to have trouble hitting notes.

Of course, she's nearly old as Jimmy Buffett, which means she's nearly as old as LC.

Reactions: cigaretteman
She did like her nose candy back in the day.I saw the same concert as you did yesterday.There was a solo show of hers right before that from 1987 and her voice was much better.

The band had some really fine players in it and she wasn't one of them. I think it was mostly her "look." The live "Rhiannon" performances early on were pretty electric with a great band backing here. The witch stuff caught on and influenced a lot of performers fashion wise. I think you probably can find her influence even today if you care to look. Style over substance for the most part.

must be a generational thing because I recently bought an us festival dvd from like 1983 and I could not wait to fast forward past judas priest and men at work to view stevie. I also recently watched a documentary about her. I really like her a lot which is unusual for me because I'm a metal head, but I'm a child of the 80's, I like pat benetar and blondie and stuff, joan jett, so on.

but I do know what you mean about her singing, she does mumble

I think they just wanted her in Fleetwood mac to party with her and pass her around a bit

but her solo stuff wan't bad, from an 80's child perspective

Agree, all my buddies love FM and i have never gotten the obsessions.

She sounds kind of like that whoever and the machines lady that was on SNL last night.

How is she famous? No actual singing talent whatsoever pretty much.

she basically got famous with help from her dad who was like a promoter from Arizona, I think he even had a large venue or bar he ran, but I'm certain he was a concert promoter and her manager

watch the old stuff of her from the 80's he always comes out on stage and introduces her

I always thought she sounded like the munchkin from Wizard of Oz that represented the Lollipop Guild.

Age and drugs have not been kind to her - they seldom are. But imo Rumours was a pretty damn good album and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Reactions: dgordo
While I really liked a lot of Fleetwood Mac stuff, especially "Rumours," the fascination with Stevie Nicks always puzzled me. The woman simply whines and mumbles. I remember in the '70s a C.R. radio personality put together a fake ad for a collection of her greatest hits titled "Stevie Nicks: What the HELL is she saying?"

So I'm channel surfing last night and run across a reunion concert by Fleetwood Mac -- the original 5 people -- in Boston, and I watch it for awhile. Nicks is even less comprehensible than before, and unfortunately, age has not been kind to what voice she once had. Seemed to have trouble hitting notes.

Of course, she's nearly old as Jimmy Buffett, which means she's nearly as old as LC.
I saw them live in Des Moines this year and she was excellent get over it.

I think what the surviving members of Fleetwood Mac saw in her was a distinctive voice and her beauty. And of course she was with Buckingham, a very fine guitarist when they were invited to join. Later she would help raise the child of a best friend who died of cancer, even marrying the father - pretty cool if it all went down the way she describes.

Download Planets of the Universe, Tracy Young mix and your questions will be answered.

As an aside.Christine McVie has a really good self titled album.I have it.She has Steve Winwood play on a few songs.It came out in 1984 but it stills sounds good.

Wasn't that Tim Boyle who ran that parody ad?

Anyway, Fleetwood Mac underwent one of the biggest, yet most successful changes in their musical approach. With Peter Green at the helm in the late 60's they were really a fine psychedelic rock band, but after he left due to drug induced psychiatric issues they really went over the top with a more pop oriented sound. I wasn't a fan of Stevie Nicks, preferring Christine McVie actually. But, there's no doubting they had a unique sound; something you can't say about a lot of bands.

Wasn't Bob Welsh with them for a time?

During my formative years she looked really, really hot on MTV. I don't remember the singing all that well.

Anyway, Fleetwood Mac underwent one of the biggest, yet most successful changes in their musical approach. With Peter Green at the helm in the late 60's they were really a fine psychedelic rock band, but after he left due to drug induced psychiatric issues they really went over the top with a more pop oriented sound. I wasn't a fan of Stevie Nicks, preferring Christine McVie actually. But, there's no doubting they had a unique sound; something you can't say about a lot of bands.

When I said the original group, I meant the group when they hit it big. The group went under a number of names and configurations prior to that and was, according to its web site, strictly a blues band.

Yes, it was Tim Boyle. He was -- probably still is -- a very, very funny guy. He also had a song when the Iowa lottery began, to the tune of "Edelweiss," featuring takeoffs of Slim Whitman and the Singing Nun, about the chances of winning. It was titled "Slim and Nun."

Yes, Bob Welch was in the band for a while as well. I'm with you on Christine McVie. Much preferred to Stevie.

Stevie Nicks singing landslide with Lindsey on the accoustic is a truly beautiful song and her voice was amazing. put me in the camp of those who love her voice. when she was on, she could fill even the biggest auditoriums. Songs like Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon and Beautiful Child were all Stevie- along with LB creating a great sound.

i always thought L Buckingham was an underrated guitarist.

Reactions: hawkssox1
Stevie Nicks singing landslide with Lindsey on the accoustic is a truly beautiful song and her voice was amazing. put me in the camp of those who love her voice. when she was on, she could fill even the biggest auditoriums. Songs like Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon and Beautiful Child were all Stevie- along with LB creating a great sound.

i always thought L Buckingham was an underrated guitarist.

The original Fleetwood Mac did not include Stevie Nicks or Lindsey Buckingham.

There have been many reincarnations of FM. The group was founded by a guy named Steve Greene. The band exploded when Lindsay & and his girlfriend Stevie joined. Lindsay became the driving force and Stevie became a rock & roll Princess.

There have been many reincarnations of FM. The group was founded by a guy named Steve Greene. The band exploded when Lindsay & and his girlfriend Stevie joined. Lindsay became the driving force and Stevie became a rock & roll Princess.

That would be Peter Green, who left John Mayall's Blues Breakers in 1967 along with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie to form Fleetwood Mac.

Musical groups are like Abe Lincoln's ax. The membership and names change so much that it's usually wrong -- or at least open to argument -- to cite one iteration as the original. My brief research indicates that "Fleetwood Mac" was the name of a song before it was the name of a group, with the name reflecting the artists who wrote it, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. The two of them and Green were in the Bluesbreakers. Apparently Fleetwood and Green split to form a new group, but McVie was reluctant to go with them, even after they named the band partly after him. He did eventually join it.

It's a strange world out there.

Watched part of a documentary last night on HBO about Kurt Cobain. Boy, if that doesn't depress you, nothing will.

Gypsy is a fine song. Buckingham's solo is classic.

They actually had a solo album "Buckingham/Nicks" which I believe led to the offer to join Fleetwood Mac. I always liked her music. Dreams with Fleetwood Mack, Stand Back from her solo career and Leather and Lace with Don Henley are other very good songs.

hawksox, dead wrong on that one brother. There is quite a bit of difference on Bob Welch and Joe Walsh.

stevie2.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT