ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

the World Championships are not as tough with Russia out of the mix

the overall level of competition did not lessen with Russia's absence.
Neither of these were the original take ("Extremely watered down" and 50% of the "World's Best."
Grip is a certified moran.
Even if this is true, it's not nice to post.
My post was mostly about not having all the best wrestlers there
Nobody disagrees with this. It is Captain Obvious material.

Any disagreement comes with the hyperbolic characterization of "'extremely watered down" then further quantifying that at 50% of the world's best not being there. And it didn't help to bring in an relevant topic of depth when the Russian Federation is but one country.

In other words flawed supporting math and rationale.

Any umbrage taken, which I haven't, seems to stem from inferred motive. Allegedly preemptively discounting Thomas Gilman's achievements (past and future) seems to be what's causing the rub.

of course the tournament is watered down without russia. gilman is great, but he won a weak bracket missing most of the "best" guys at 57 kg. Hell, none of the other 3 medalists even made the Olympic bracket and he was the only one of the 6 guys who wrestled for a medal in tokyo who showed up at worlds.

i'm sure nobody is more frustrated by the strength of that bracket than gilman is. i think he can beat those guys. he's been robbed of his opportunity to do it and that's not on him. i'm sure all the guys want the russians in the bracket because everybody knows they're the best country and the event isn't the same without them. if/when Snyder wins, do we really think he's proved he's better than Sadulaev?

don't know why we can't be honest about this situation. doesn't mean that the world championships are easy all of a sudden. but they certainly are easier. there is no reason to deny that other than your feelings can't handle it.

Neither of these were the original take ("Extremely watered down" and 50% of the "World's Best."

Even if this is true, it's not nice to post.

Nobody disagrees with this. It is Captain Obvious material.

Any disagreement comes with the hyperbolic characterization of "'extremely watered down" then further quantifying that at 50% of the world's best not being there. And it didn't help to bring in an relevant topic of depth when the Russian Federation is but one country.

In other words flawed supporting math and rationale.

Any umbrage taken, which I haven't, seems to stem from inferred motive. Allegedly preemptively discounting Thomas Gilman's achievements (past and future) seems to be what's causing the rub.
Stop trying to be Young Sheldon already, its not all the best wrestlers in the world competing and it should be.

Reactions: Inthecircle
of course the tournament is watered down without russia. gilman is great, but he won a weak bracket missing most of the "best" guys at 57 kg. Hell, none of the other 3 medalists even made the Olympic bracket and he was the only one of the 6 guys who wrestled for a medal in tokyo who showed up at worlds.

i'm sure nobody is more frustrated by the strength of that bracket than gilman is. i think he can beat those guys. he's been robbed of his opportunity to do it and that's not on him. i'm sure all the guys want the russians in the bracket because everybody knows they're the best country and the event isn't the same without them. if/when Snyder wins, do we really think he's proved he's better than Sadulaev?

don't know why we can't be honest about this situation. doesn't mean that the world championships are easy all of a sudden. but they certainly are easier. there is no reason to deny that other than your feelings can't handle it.
This, now lets move on.

Reactions: natchrlman and Exo
I know there is one representative per weight class for a country at the World & Olympics, but there is a reason why the Yarygin is called the toughest tournament in the world every year.

Sure it does…same with the guys missing last year but 20 years from now, Gilman and Dake are still going to be 2021 World Champs. Same with Streebler in 2016 in a non Olympic wt…also the 1984 guys. A few nerds like us might remember but it doesn’t matter. Gold is gold.
I'm not claiming this tournament deserves an asterisk or gold is not gold. It's just a notable fact Russia isn't attending.

This was pretty much the argument I was going to make. I think Gilman can beat the Russian too. It's not his fault nobody showed up for worlds in 21 and its not his fault with the Russia thing either. But I do remember media folks (and opposing fans) talking about the weakness of the 2017 bracket when he took silver. There were definitely some "Yea, but's" in there. But I don't think Snyder will beat Sadulaev should they ever meet again. USA has had some great performances as a team and still couldn't beat the Russians (except for 2017). It's just much better with the Russians in there for the team race drama alone.

Yea, Gilman is with another crew and has spouted off but that stuff stops at the water's edge for me.

I should have known this would be the response. I only have myself to blame.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT