ADVERTISEMENT

Sheriff's Office investigates deputy's alleged social media post of crash victim photo

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's deputy is under scrutiny after allegedly posting a photo of a deceased Mason City man at a crash scene on social media.
Sheriff Kevin Pals acknowledged Thursday an investigation is underway but declined to elaborate, saying it was too early to comment.

Complaint posts on social media stated Deputy Russell Jensen took a photo of 22-year-old Allan Shafer's body at the crash scene where Shafer died after striking a deer with his motorcycle on Broad Street in Plymouth on Sunday morning. One complaint post on Facebook states Jensen used Snapchat to send the photo to others with a caption that alludes to Shafer hitting the deer while traveling at a speed of 100 mph.

In a screenshot provided to the Globe Gazette, a Snapchat user admonishes an unnamed officer for taking and sharing a photo of a dead Mason City motorcyclist on Sunday morning.
Contributed
Details surrounding the collision such as speed and road conditions were not included in the accident report provided by the sheriff's office Monday, and no findings by the Iowa Department of Safety were available as of Thursday morning.

Who the F did he think would want to see that?
Its wrong on a lot of levels, and I’ve seen a lot of corpse pictures, but I don’t want buddies sending them to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT