ADVERTISEMENT

Should Al Franken resign his Senate seat?

Yes.

It is time to purge, accountability absolutely NEEDS to happen in all of these cases.

Both the GOP and Democrats need to have an ethics
standard for their members in the U.S. Congress.
Sexual abuse of women should not be tolerated. Bill
Clinton abused his power with Monica Lewinsky who
was an intern and got away with it. It should be a
ethics policy that is the same for everyone.

First Trump has to. You can't have one guy with 19 allegations stay in office while giving the boot to the other guy with 1.

Franken should just let this run it's course and then lay low for awhile,... The next witch hunt is coming and hopefully he can just be a spectator for that one....

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
First Trump has to. You can't have one guy with 19 allegations stay in office while giving the boot to the other guy with 1.

Integrity would say otherwise. You can't just say you own the moral high-ground if you don't actually take it from time to time (that doesn't mean being "less bad" than the other guy/gal).

Integrity would say otherwise. You can't just say you own the moral high-ground if you don't actually take it from time to time (that doesn't mean being "less bad" than the other guy/gal).
I'm fully ready to give Franken the boot. But I demand the same treatment of Trump. It's an entirely moral stance.

I don't think Franken should resign. He is a sitting Senator and nothing in the Constitution prevents a felon or a pervert from serving in Congress. Just as with Roy Moore, it's up to the voters.

What Al Franken did and what Roy Moore/Trump did are not even in the same ballpark. I know everyone is worried about looking hypocritical, but these are false analogies.

And before you want to come at me as a partisan, Robert Menendez is the Democratic Senator who needs to resign, not Franken. AINEC.
I am in the same boat. Franken is an idiot, but it was a much more minor transgression compared to Moore and many underage girls. Also, Menendez should get the boot.

Franken should not resign.
Menendez should resign.
Moore should withdraw.
Clinton should have been convicted by the Senate.

It's not difficult.

Nope. But he should refuse to host SNL again. He wasnt an elected official at the time of the incident. Haven't we all done such stuff at one time or another? I certainly have been inappropriate with the opposite sex once or twice.
Why in the hell does FOX think Franked should resign? Are they collectively that stupid? Why should Franked resign....but Trump not?
Jeeeebus keeeerist....lets all be as stupid as FOX.

Franken should just let this run it's course and then lay low for awhile,... The next witch hunt is coming and hopefully he can just be a spectator for that one....

That's what he will do. But I hope the scum bag is forced out. So we can get a new scum bag selected by one of our scum bag parties.

Like it even matters anymore. :(

Why is anyone surprised that a comedian from SNL acted irresponsibly? I’m sure he has done way worse.

This is why we get no where in politics.

Well, you can't hold one standard for one person and then hold a completely different standard for another. If the bar is low enough that Franken needs to resign, well that means that the President easily clears that metric. Of course, that metric will probably me 3/4 of Congress will have to give up their seats as well by the time this is all said and done.

That's what he will do. But I hope the scum bag is forced out. So we can get a new scum bag selected by one of our scum bag parties.

Like it even matters anymore. :(

Jesse Ventura, Al Franken,.... who do you think the Gophers would come up with next?

Nope. But he should refuse to host SNL again. He wasnt an elected official at the time of the incident. Haven't we all done such stuff at one time or another? I certainly have been inappropriate with the opposite sex once or twice.
Why in the hell does FOX think Franked should resign? Are they collectively that stupid? Why should Franked resign....but Trump not?
Jeeeebus keeeerist....lets all be as stupid as FOX.

I have never disrespected a woman like that. I mean it.

I've begged to the point of being pathetic (mostly after the wedding), but I've never done anything close to what Franken did there. And yes, I had my chances. Even gave it a thought once in college. But I knew it was terribly wrong.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything Moore is accused of that is illegal; just very creepy. He should not be allowed in the Senate because he has twice proven he is not willing to uphold the constitution; which is their oath of office. Those trying to get Moore to step aside over this accusations are using them as an excuse to get rid of him. GOP doesn't want the embarrassment, Dems don't want a rightwing nutjob in the Senate.

Franken's actions are closer to being illegal, in that they could be considered assault. However, given that this was a voluntary kiss during a voluntary skit rehearsal, I would think "he kissed me more aggressively than I expected" would not get a conviction.

Answer is "no", Franken should not resign.

No. Let the people of the Peoples' Republic of Minnesota vote him out if they please.

Reactions: mstp1992
No. Let the people of the Peoples' Republic of Minnesota vote him out if they please.

Completely agree with you (without the snide comment about the fine state of Minnesota). Now, had this occurred while he was already in the senate I might have a different opinion.

I also think that Roy Moore does not have an obligation to step aside. Let the voters of Alabama decide.

That being said, his continued running for senate may be detrimental to the GOP. Sometimes you have to do things you may not want to do, but might be best for the whole team. Stepping aside might be best for the GOP.

Yes.

It is time to purge, accountability absolutely NEEDS to happen in all of these cases.

I'm no Franken fan, but the only way he should resign is if it's part of a larger purge. He was a pig, but there are plenty of pigs and criminals in Congress.

Yep - so the Family Values party should go first.

At some point we need to draw the line on things like

---how egregious was the offense
---how long ago (and what were the standards of conduct then)
---how has the person behaved since

...and so on.

I'm not sure which side of the line Franken would fall on if we laid out those standards.

I am pretty sure which side of the line Trump and Moore fall on.

So . . . let's start by dumping the worst offenders. Then we can work down the list. If we get to Franken, so be it.

I like him, but if our society wants to draw the line such that he's on the wrong side, then he should go.

If society draws the line to let Trump and Moore get away with their crap, Franken has nothing to worry about.

Only if more women step forward with more accusations. Many of his transgressions and inappropriate statements were known when he was elected the first time, and I was very surprised that he could win an election with his past. However he did win, albeit in a controversially close recount, so I don't think this one event is enough to force him out. If there are other women that come forward, and I think there very well could be, then yes he should step down.

Reactions: mstp1992
Honestly, I haven't seen anything Moore is accused of that is illegal; just very creepy. He should not be allowed in the Senate because he has twice proven he is not willing to uphold the constitution; which is their oath of office. Those trying to get Moore to step aside over this accusations are using them as an excuse to get rid of him. GOP doesn't want the embarrassment, Dems don't want a rightwing nutjob in the Senate.

Franken's actions are closer to being illegal, in that they could be considered assault. However, given that this was a voluntary kiss during a voluntary skit rehearsal, I would think "he kissed me more aggressively than I expected" would not get a conviction.

Answer is "no", Franken should not resign.
Pretty sure Moore's actions with the 14 year old would have been illegal.

Yep - so the Family Values party should go first.

At some point we need to draw the line on things like

---how egregious was the offense
---how long ago (and what were the standards of conduct then)
---how has the person behaved since

...and so on.

I'm not sure which side of the line Franken would fall on if we laid out those standards.

I am pretty sure which side of the line Trump and Moore fall on.

So . . . let's start by dumping the worst offenders. Then we can work down the list. If we get to Franken, so be it.

I like him, but if our society wants to draw the line such that he's on the wrong side, then he should go.

If society draws the line to let Trump and Moore get away with their crap, Franken has nothing to worry about.

People w integrity wouldn't wait for someone else to "go first" so I think you missed the point of my post. Also, the Republican leader have been telling Moore he needs to exit the race.

Reactions: terrehawk
I'm no Franken fan, but the only way he should resign is if it's part of a larger purge. He was a pig, but there are plenty of pigs and criminals in Congress.

Lol...this is why D.C. doesn't have to really work for the people. Zero accountability for anyone bc, well, "FOR THE PARTY"!

Reactions: terrehawk
Well, you can't hold one standard for one person and then hold a completely different standard for another. If the bar is low enough that Franken needs to resign, well that means that the President easily clears that metric. Of course, that metric will probably me 3/4 of Congress will have to give up their seats as well by the time this is all said and done.

I think the key is people holding themselves accountable or at the very least their "team" holding them accountable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT