ADVERTISEMENT

Should Luka Garza be considered the greatest.....

IllQChawk

HR Heisman
May 29, 2001
Hawkeye basketball player of all time....?
With the Naismith Player of the Year, Oscar Robertson Player of the Year, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year, and the Lute Olsen Award Top 30 awards still out, and Luka expected to win at least 2 of those 4....should Luka be considered the greatest Iowa basketball player ever!
He's already won player of the year honors from 5 National media organizations and 1st team national honors from 7 media organizations.
I know, I know, he still has goals to achieve, he can become a better free throw shooter, continue to be the best center in college basketball, lead Iowa to a Final Four, & become Iowa's all time points scorer if he returns for his senior season, but what more does the man need to do to after winning all these national honors. No other Hawkeye has won so many awards in 1 season ever. Think about that.....ever. It's mind boggling!!!!

He's definitely getting the most honors of anyone but as far as the best player ever at iowa? I'm not sure, that's kinda a hard question to answer. There has been some great ones that have played for the hawks.

If he has a season anywhere close to as dominant next year, Luka has to at least be on a very short list. If he is dominant and the team is as good as I hope it will be (B1G championship or at least right there, and a run in the dance to at least the Elite 8), it would be hard to argue against him. I'm still a huge Ronnie Lester fan, who could be surpassed by Luka, mostly because injuries stole what should have been a
first-team AA year and possibly a national championship from him. I am not old enough to remember the guys who played earlier at Iowa, but no one touches Luka since Ronnie.

Reactions: unclesammy
For many in their 30’s or younger I think he probably is.

Most gravitate to players they have seen.

in 50 years very few will consider Lebron it Jordan the GOAT.

He's Top 5 for sure. To be the GOAT, he needs to come back and duplicate it IMO.

No that honor belongs to Megan Gustafson....at least that is what people were saying last year.

Yes Luka is the best if all time at Iowa even if he never played another minute. It doesn't matter what someone did after they left here or would have done if they hadn't gotten hurt. All that matters is what they did while here at Iowa. He is big ten and national player of the year for a reason and is the only player to hold that honor....other than Megan of course

Curious how many teams have had a national poy on both the men's and women's sides. Can't be a long list

Hawkeye basketball player of all time....?
With the Naismith Player of the Year, Oscar Robertson Player of the Year, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year, and the Lute Olsen Award Top 30 awards still out, and Luka expected to win at least 2 of those 4....should Luka be considered the greatest Iowa basketball player ever!
He's already won player of the year honors from 5 National media organizations and 1st team national honors from 7 media organizations.
I know, I know, he still has goals to achieve, he can become a better free throw shooter, continue to be the best center in college basketball, lead Iowa to a Final Four, & become Iowa's all time points scorer if he returns for his senior season, but what more does the man need to do to after winning all these national honors. No other Hawkeye has won so many awards in 1 season ever. Think about that.....ever. It's mind boggling!!!!
I'd say he's had the best season of any Iowa player ever, most definetly. If he returns and does an encore similar, AND the Hawks make a run at the title, and at least a sweet 16 then Yes......

No not yet,.. I still want to see what he does for us next year...

Award-wise, Luka wins hands down. Most decorated Hawkeye of all time. And for those voting for Megan, who was a superb player and one of my all time favorites, I'd pick Luka over her in a one on one matchup.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
If he stays another year he is without doubt on the Mt. Rushmore - but as long as I can still remember watching him play, Ronnie Lester is Number 1 for me.

Reactions: AMAYS
No that honor belongs to Megan Gustafson....at least that is what people were saying last year.

Yes Luka is the best if all time at Iowa even if he never played another minute. It doesn't matter what someone did after they left here or would have done if they hadn't gotten hurt. All that matters is what they did while here at Iowa. He is big ten and national player of the year for a reason and is the only player to hold that honor....other than Megan of course

Curious how many teams have had a national poy on both the men's and women's sides. Can't be a long list
Luka (and Megan) both had individual years unsurpassed by any prior Hawkeye players, but basketball is a team sport, and the success of the team has to also be considered. Luka is in the discussion as the best player ever at Iowa, but he needs to come back and lead the team to even more success to convince me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT