ADVERTISEMENT

Should mandatory psych evals be instituted for all gun owners?

In which country?

Your president and Congresscritter are sending weapons to Israel who are blowing up schools.

In fact, I’d dare suggest Congressional/Presidential arms delivery are behind hundreds of thousands more deaths than committed in the U.S. by lawful gun owners.
The same imperial government that gave us Fast & Furious and swaps basketball players for Russian arms dealers wants to lecture us on guns.

F*** them.

Every 3 months at minimum. If you own a gun, you have to take a psych eval every 3 months (I'd argue every month) in order to legally keep your firearm/weapon(s).

Would you agree to this? Is this a good idea? Would this deter gun violence? Deter the purchasing of weapons in general?

What say you?

Just for fun, you should post this question on the Gator politics board. Heads would explode.

It would be like pinching off a brown loaf into the punch bowl and leaving.

what about people are prescribed anti-depressants, or other medications to treat psychiatric conditions?
Should a system be developed where those people are not eligible to own or possess guns while undergoing treatment?
Is there any evidence that people receiving treatment for mental issues are more likely to commit gun violence? Even if there is evidence for certain conditions, surely that's not the case for all.

I'm a lot more worried about those (presumably-untreated) folks we've seen screaming at PTA meetings than I am about my neighbor receiving grief therapy after his wife died.

Guns are a right actually spelled out in the constitution. That being said we have a tendency to ignore the well regulated militia part. I would be ok with an initial psych eval as part of a fitness evaluation for said militia, which would be paid for by the government, mandatory skills/gun handling training, and recertification/safety training at some frequency say ever 5-10 years (training not psych evaluation).

In fact, I can't fathom why any gun nut/advocate wouldn't want to have regular weapons training for the populace as it makes us better prepared to overthrow the government in the event of tyranny. (I believe that's why they always say they need guns)
Disagree on psych evals for the avg gun owner - just don’t see how it’s logistically feasible, and seems open to abuse. I do think regular training regarding how to use them/safety, etc ought to be required tho.
‘Need’ has nothing to do with it. It’s our God given right in spite of what any POS politician might have to say about it.

P’soff Commie.

Oh for gods sake - while I think we’ve taken it too far, I do think the right to own a gun is perfectly fine; but “god-given?” Really?

Can you show me where in the Bible that passage is?

Disagree on psych evals for the avg gun owner - just don’t see how it’s logistically feasible, and seems open to abuse. I do think regular training regarding how to use them/safety, etc ought to be required tho.

Oh for gods sake - while I think we’ve taken it too far, I do think the right to own a gun is perfectly fine; but “god-given?” Really?

Can you show me where in the Bible that passage is?
Excuse me - I don’t read the Bible and I’m not a church goer - I should have said inherent. As in, the right to have a gun simply exists. No matter what some fragile lib on HBOT or some POS in Washington DC thinks.

As to your question, Googling’s not difficult but I’ll indulge you this time (acknowledging that God didn’t write the Bible and this verse was intended more symbolic than literal ):

Luke11:21
21 “When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Excuse me - I don’t read the Bible and I’m not a church goer - I should have said inherent. As in, the right to have a gun simply exists. No matter what some fragile lib on HBOT or some POS in Washington DC thinks.

As to your question, Googling’s not difficult but I’ll indulge you this time (acknowledging that God didn’t write the Bible and this verse was intended more symbolic than literal ):

Luke11:21
21 “When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.
Note how that doesn’t say gun? There’s many ways of being armed that would allow someone to protect their home.

Otherwise as I said, I agree that you have the right to own a gun. I just think that in todays world; with all the makes and models out there, with seemingly as many ways to accessorize them as the average children’s toy, it’s not unreasonable to suggest better gun control laws than we have.

Yeah, no. This would be enormously complicated and difficult to implement. Besides a guaranteed finding of unconstitutionality by the courts, and a likely uprising by gun nuts, what standard applies to determine one's fitness to own a firearm? How to ensure that there are shrinks all around the country to administer these evals, and how do you pay them? Even if hell froze over and this passed 2A muster, the 5th and 14th mandate due process before deprivation of liberty or property, including likely court proceedings, appeals, etc. Just not workable imo. I'm all for reasonable, common sense gun reform, but this ain't it.
Ya know.........I could just take all their guns and then tell them to deal with it. #gonna cry? .meme

At least this way I'm giving them a chance to prove why they're mentally stable enough to keep them.....................for at least 3 more months. :cool:

Would also make mandatory psych evals prior to getting a driver’s license (Nah....just prove if they are a male or a female. Female? No license. Driving accidents across the board reduce exponentially ;)) , having kids (correct), operating heavy machinery (I think you're confusing psych evals for IQ test.........) and serving food at a resturaunt (they should be required to pass both a psych eval and IQ test, especially the teenagers............). Also anyone wearing religious Jewelry or ISU clothing
There isn't anything we can do about people wearing ISU apparel. They are a lost cause.

It’s always funny to me when people say someone will ‘take people’s guns’, or people will need to ‘turn over their guns’.

Yeah… I think your plan might break down there.
Like the police are going to show up at the house of any gun enthusiast and they’ll just hand them over. It’s not even slightly realistic.

These are all reasonable. In addition, I think we need juvenile records to persist into adulthood when it comes to gun ownership. You can commit a felony as a 16 year old and legally buy a gun when you turn 18. If you are found to be mentally ill as a 17 year old you should not be able to immediately buy a gun when you are 18.

Adding these to the universal background checks, while also truly standardizing that dataset, would absolutely help.

OPs suggestion would never be implemented so it is just a distraction. Your ideas are supported by the majority of gun owners and the vast majority of Americans. It is feasible to get those enacted.
I don't expect rough drafts to be implemented.

But yes.........people are gonna be distracted, alright. :cool:

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
It’s always funny to me when people say someone will ‘take people’s guns’, or people will need to ‘turn over their guns’.

Yeah… I think your plan might break down there.
Like the police are going to show up at the house of any gun enthusiast and they’ll just hand them over. It’s not even slightly realistic.
Well let's think about that for a second, shall we.

What are you saying?

A person who is no longer legally allowed to possess firearms is essentially, in your words, saying "over my dead body".

Seems like a perfect example of someone who shouldn't keep their guns, and if they have a problem with it, well, that's on them.

The other side of this is you're suggesting that "fear" is a reason why this wouldn't work, because it could put the lives of those sent to remove said guns from those who shouldn't possess said guns in danger.......sooooooooo we should just let that person be and act as if there's nothing to see here.........because it could put f***ing people's lives in danger.

Sure. Thanks for playing. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
I'd vote no to that. Perhaps guns over a certain caliber but only if the person has demonstrated instability. Full background checks, yes.
The point is they need to submit something at the very least on an annual basis to prove why they should keep their guns. I'm not a gun owner, thank god for humanity amirite....... ;), so I don't know exactly what the rules are once you own a gun, but I would want to eliminate the idea that once you provide said background check upon initial purchase that you can just walk off the lot and do whatever you want with it.

It's not a car.

I'll pass. I'm not about to trot myself every months to some shrink to prove I'm "sane". Yeah, I'm that lazy. I've got better things to do with my time. Like target practice.
Well, then, you can kiss target practice goodbye because you have to hand over your guns.

See how easy that is, then, to reduce gun ownership?

Just prey upon the lazy portion of America, which is a massively growing percent of the population............... :)

Since the psychiatric evaluations will all be performed by shrinks, hand-picked by the state to label all gun owners* as psychologically unstable, why not just skip the evaluations and send the shrinks door to door to start collecting all the guns.

🧌

* with the exception of liberal, rich celebrities and politicians.
It'd actually be a two-person team. Wouldn't just be a psych professional...............

What's to prevent pro-gun (or merely greedy) shrinks just signing off on pretty much anyone to make a quick buck?
What's to prevent them?

Guns.......guns will prevent them. :)

OLKK.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
FWIW, this ^^ is a big reason why people who would otherwise be open to some form of additional regulation maintain their staunch opposition to ANY additional restrictions. There is ZERO trust on behalf of many that a lot of people will not be happy, and will not stop, until all gun ownership is prohibited.

You may say that you are only joking, etc, but many are very, very suspicious that there could even be reasonable changes agreed upon because some want to eliminate guns completely and will stop at nothing to do so.

Otherwise, my personal answer would resemble TheDude Abides.
I wasn't joking.

You have to prove to me that I should let you keep your guns, and if I don't have time to see you, then you hand them over automatically, and I absolutely will make my own provisions and movements of the proverbial goal posts if I move up my timetable to overthrow the world's governments and begin my rule as evil monkey dictator of planet earth, as I will need the extra guns to do so................

Again, I'm being serious.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT