ADVERTISEMENT

Should players shut off Twitter during the season?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
That way fans (??) would not be able to contact them and players would not be distracted by tweets sent to them.

Check out what one fan (??) tweeted to Jordan and then his reply (start at bottom and work your way up):

Jordan Bohannon‏Verified account@JordanBo_3 6h6 hours ago
Jordan Bohannon Retweeted Brian

1) The NUT sounds like a great tournament to crack into.
1f60f.png
2) If everyone quit after a bad day in life, where would we be as a civilization! Enjoy the ride through the highs and the lows and let’s keep working!!

Jordan Bohannon added,

Brian@CoachBFerentz_
Replying to @JordanBo_3
Thought u guys were a lock for the final four...you must have meant the NUT
13 replies23 retweets525 likes

Yeah I think it needs to be turned off! Not because of them but because of us.. the 2013 debacle had a ton of Twitter drama! No need for that team to see our crazy azz fan base trashing them

The players have to have the maturity to rise above it and not respond to the idiots.

Anyone who was projecting Iowa to the final 4 this year, must have a screw loose.

The players have to have the maturity to rise above it and not respond to the idiots.

Anyone who was projecting Iowa to the final 4 this year, must have a screw loose.

i think someone tweeted JoBo a while back about making the NCAA tournament this year and he tweeted something (in fun, mind you) about making the Final 4

but i agree with you; they have to ignore the idiots but i wonder how many times they get tweets; it just seems to be one big distraction

Reactions: HaydenHawk8
That's a coach's call IMO. But in the past, I seem to recall Tim Miles not just do that but he cut out a helluva lot more when his team was struggling. Remember? LOL. Also, Jarrod didn't care for social media, but that's Jarrod. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Franisdaman
i think someone tweeted JoBo a while back about making the NCAA tournament this year and he tweeted something (in fun, mind you) about making the Final 4

but i agree with you; they have to ignore the idiots but i wonder how many times they get tweets; it just seems to be one big distraction

I believe his Final 4 prediction was why he wouldn't be in the 3 point contest his senior year. That was the night Jok won it last year. But the team hasn't tempered their opinion that the media predictions are wrong and they are much better than the outsiders want to give them credit for, so they opened the door for fans to be overly critical of their performances when they don't back up their boastful expectations.

Trying to keep young men in the age range of today's players off social media is a near impossibility. Better to work on their savvy than try to forbid it. Part of the learning process.

I believe his Final 4 prediction was why he wouldn't be in the 3 point contest his senior year. That was the night Jok won it last year. But the team hasn't tempered their opinion that the media predictions are wrong and they are much better than the outsiders want to give them credit for, so they opened the door for fans to be overly critical of their performances when they don't back up their boastful expectations.

yep, that sounds right regarding the final 4 prediction.

i wish fans would address their criticism on message boards and not at players via their Twitter accounts

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Trying to keep young men in the age range of today's players off social media is a near impossibility. Better to work on their savvy than try to forbid it. Part of the learning process.

and i have heard Fran say they bring in people to educate players on how to use and handle social media

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
That's a coach's call IMO. But in the past, I seem to recall Tim Miles not just do that but he cut out a helluva lot more when his team was struggling. Remember? LOL. Also, Jarrod didn't care for social media, but that's Jarrod. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

did Miles shut it off when they were struggling a season or 2 ago? Cant remember for sure.

and i have heard Fran say they bring in people to educate players on how to use and handle social media
That's the smart move. Teach them to deal with it wisely. Keep their heads. Don't make foolish comments or responses that will only cause problems for them later.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I know one of the players ...those of U that know me know who. NOPE.

Players dont spend their day on HR...if they would they would have the answers. :rolleyes:

Now parents that another thing and I feel for them.
There was a parent of a former player who read & heard some 'hateful' things...some of it right here on HR open basketball forum.

As far as twitter...its up to the player...they just need to understand there are a lot of morons out there.

I know for a fact recruit(s) read HR as do their parents. They understand there are alot of arm chair experts out there who are quick to have all the answers.

IF those fans that were booing at last weeks FB game think it impressed the multiple recruits that were there ...think it again. It didnt BB recruits either.

Last edited:
That way fans (??) would not be able to contact them and players would not be distracted by tweets sent to them.

Check out what one fan (??) tweeted to Jordan and then his reply (start at bottom and work your way up):

Jordan Bohannon‏Verified account@JordanBo_3 6h6 hours ago
Jordan Bohannon Retweeted Brian

1) The NUT sounds like a great tournament to crack into.
1f60f.png
2) If everyone quit after a bad day in life, where would we be as a civilization! Enjoy the ride through the highs and the lows and let’s keep working!!

Jordan Bohannon added,

Brian@CoachBFerentz_
Replying to @JordanBo_3
Thought u guys were a lock for the final four...you must have meant the NUT
13 replies23 retweets525 likes

One has to be a real dipshit to comment on a players twitter...these same people are issued drivers license.

Personally, If I were a coach I think I would require my team to get off social media during the season....

I think they have to have the right attitude about it. For example, Niang was really good about it. Interacted with the good fans from our own fanbase, ignored the bad ones, and is still getting into in fun ways with Hawkeye fans.

Guys who internalize it or get pissed like McCabe need to stay off it.

I still can't believe anyone would have Twitter in the first place. Literally NOTHING good comes from Twitter. It's mankind's toilet bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT