ADVERTISEMENT

Should states require voters to show a photo ID? And other voter fraud stuff

Is this really the game you're playing? Demand a substantive response, which you're actually getting, then pretend that you didn't get them?

Lone Clone and his "Voter ID/Voter Fraud" threads are making him the Wile E. Coyote of HROT....

Dammit!!! He's gonna GET that RoadRunner THIS time!!!!:mad::mad::mad::eek:

mTXSKTk3BsT6w.gif

This thread title seems to suggest there would be a poll option however I do not see one...do I need to show my HROT ID to be able to vote?

How about we start with an up-to-date, nationwide, cross-verified registration database?

The e-file to the IRS can "verify" whether someone exists for purposes of taxes instantaneously, but States continuously complain about not knowing who lives in their state or is, you know, still alive or not.

How about we start with an up-to-date, nationwide, cross-verified registration database?

That's a double-edged sword, unless it's done carefully. Part of the reason it's so difficult to 'hack' our voter systems and voter registration rolls is because they are 'local' in nature. That means to infiltrate voter rolls, you'd need to hack into hundreds and hundreds of systems, not simply one.

Now, a "clearinghouse" for localities to upload information into, to more rapidly identify duplicate registrations in multiple localities (something that most audits CANNOT identify) might be useful. The problem with that is the people who would be intentionally registered in two locations (and perhaps voting in both, directly or absentee) are people who own properties or have physical addresses in both locations = e.g. snowbirds who live in Iowa or MN and go down to FL or AZ for the winter. And most of those folks aren't "Dems". Although it isn't that difficult to identify this retroactively - once you find registrations in >1 locality, just check to see which elections they actually submitted a vote for. And because those are records which are discoverable over long periods of time, it's probably why it doesn't happen often or at all - penalties are high.

But anything which would more quickly ferret out multiple registrations, along with requiring proof of eligibility when registering isn't really a bad idea. It's just that we haven't seen any evidence to date that the latter is needed: potential penalties of long prison sentences and $10K fines seem to work fairly well.

That's a double-edged sword, unless it's done carefully. Part of the reason it's so difficult to 'hack' our voter systems and voter registration rolls is because they are 'local' in nature. That means to infiltrate voter rolls, you'd need to hack into hundreds and hundreds of systems, not simply one.

Now, a "clearinghouse" for localities to upload information into, to more rapidly identify duplicate registrations in multiple localities (something that most audits CANNOT identify) might be useful. The problem with that is the people who would be intentionally registered in two locations (and perhaps voting in both, directly or absentee) are people who own properties or have physical addresses in both locations = e.g. snowbirds who live in Iowa or MN and go down to FL or AZ for the winter. And most of those folks aren't "Dems". Although it isn't that difficult to identify this retroactively - once you find registrations in >1 locality, just check to see which elections they actually submitted a vote for. And because those are records which are discoverable over long periods of time, it's probably why it doesn't happen often or at all - penalties are high.

But anything which would more quickly ferret out multiple registrations, along with requiring proof of eligibility when registering isn't really a bad idea. It's just that we haven't seen any evidence to date that the latter is needed: potential penalties of long prison sentences and $10K fines seem to work fairly well.

We are afraid of "hacking" now? Our government has enormous databases with all of this information as well as all of the largest companies as well. The proverbial ship sailed long ago.

It would be, presumably, quite simple to identify precisely what you are talking about. Vote for POTUS in one place? "Stopped" from voting for it in another. By stopped, I mean provisional balloting. Simple, easy solution with modern technology.

Audit after audit has shown (contrary to what the OP states) that voter impersonation is virtually non existent. But no audit can disprove disenfranchisement. Why? Because you can't audit a vote that isn't cast. The danger potential of disenfranchisement is far greater than the potential for fraud.

Also I don't believe politicians should be allowed to determine who should vote. I believe the voters should determine who the politicians are.

So to answer the OP's question: a long loud no.

LC didn't want to start a climate denier thread so he went to his #2 troll.

He's the Wile E. Coyote of both topics.

Lone E. Coyote should be his nickname, and Rivals ought to permanently alter his avatar....

We are afraid of "hacking" now? Our government has enormous databases with all of this information as well as all of the largest companies as well. The proverbial ship sailed long ago.

Not really; company databases and government ones are hacked into with reasonable frequency. And this is by cybercriminals, not state-sponsored entities. Putting that information online in a hackable database invites those state-hackers to attack them during the timeframe they are most vulnerable, and once the info is altered or hacked, you don't have the opportunity for election "do-overs". So, any aspect of making those into nationwide databases MUST address those risks. If that means taking them "offline" in the year prior to elections so the systems remain local, and only linking back up after elections for auditing, etc, that seems fine. But having a system that could be uprooted a week before election day, and voter rolls completely compromised with no capability of fixing before the elections seems like an unnecessary risk to me- particularly in light of not finding much fraud to date, anyway.

Why is it so hard for "the poor and minorities" to get a photo ID? Seriously.....this seems like a red herring argument to me.
It's every bit as legitimate as the claim that Democrats oppose election reforms because they want ineligible voters to be able to cast ballots, since most of those go to Democrats.

LMAO!!!

We are regurgitating MORE Heritage Foundation BS again!!!

We already had their Op Ed on this linked by LC months ago; when the actual report was dredged up, the data in it DID NOT support the Op Ed. The VAST MAJORITY of voter fraud it found was at local (municipal, county) elections and barely 10 out of 1.6 billion votes cast were fraudulent in national elections. Yet he STILL clings to that nonsense. It truly is embarrassing for him (and apparently that is now considered a "personal attack" on the boards here):eek:
Joe, why don't you save everybody some time and just declare that you have won yet another overwhelming victory in the Internet message board wars. If the past is any guide, that's what you're going to do, anyway, regardless of what is said. Get it out of the way now, so those of us who want to discuss the issue can do so. Thanks.

It's every bit as legitimate as the claim that Democrats oppose election reforms because they want ineligible voters to be able to cast ballots, since most of those go to Democrats.

My God...we're still regurgitating the same bullcrap.
Despite NO evidence it is happening at any reasonable level of concern....

You GO GET that RoadRunner, Wile E.!!! Use your ACME Audit Pack!!!

Joe, why don't you save everybody some time and just declare that you have won yet another overwhelming victory in the Internet message board wars. If the past is any guide, that's what you're going to do, anyway, regardless of what is said. Get it out of the way now, so those of us who want to discuss the issue can do so. Thanks.

Why don't you save everybody the time by not reposting the same regurgitated talking points absent ANY new information which supports them?

Lone....if my name is on the voter registration lists, and I walk in and Identify myself...in a precinct where I have voted for 25 years, why?
I have vowed, starting this year, I will never show any picture ID to get a ballot..and if refused a ballot, I am prepared to be arrested and will go to court.
My right to vote in any election where I am qualified to vote will never be infringed. You are all about "originalists" judges....show me where I need a photo IDto vote.
This is nothing more than some folks trying to cull the voting pool from folks they don't agree with politically.
I will visit you in prison. Actually, you don't have to worry. Hardly anybody who's caught violating voting laws is ever prosecuted.

I dont really see any problem with it. Both sides should want accuracy when it comes to our voting practices.

You have to have an ID these days for more things than just driving so not a very big deal, especially when it wont cost people anything to get them.

Reactions: Pepperman
Not really; company databases and government ones are hacked into with reasonable frequency. And this is by cybercriminals, not state-sponsored entities. Putting that information online in a hackable database invites those state-hackers to attack them during the timeframe they are most vulnerable, and once the info is altered or hacked, you don't have the opportunity for election "do-overs". So, any aspect of making those into nationwide databases MUST address those risks. If that means taking them "offline" in the year prior to elections so the systems remain local, and only linking back up after elections for auditing, etc, that seems fine. But having a system that could be uprooted a week before election day, and voter rolls completely compromised with no capability of fixing before the elections seems like an unnecessary risk to me- particularly in light of not finding much fraud to date, anyway.

I'm saying the information is already online and hackable.

If the state comes to your house and gives you an ID for free, then sure. If it's any inconvenience or it costs anything to obtain an ID, it's essentially a poll tax which is unconstitutional.

So are we for the constitution or bigger government giving people "free stuff" here?
Agree with the first sentence. So do the courts. That's why they've struck down several ID laws but sustained the one in Indiana (and Georgia, which is modeled after Indiana's).

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Who would check IDs for those? If you can imagine that showing up and impersonating people is a problem, you can sure imagine mail fraud a lot easier. That fact that Rs never care about this shows you their real motivation. And that's fine, disenfranchisement so that your smaller group can win is the goal after all. That's why I'm very for ID if we couple it with mandatory participation. Libs win when people show up, cons win when they don't. That's what this debate is really about.
I don't understand what you're saying. In the first place, a lot of Republicans absolutely object to the Oregon system. In the second place, if the primary concern of Republicans were to discourage minority and immigrant voters, they would be against the Oregon system even more than against conventional voting arrangements, because it's easier for those groups to vote, legally and/or illegally.

I really don't want to have to search back for the 5 other threads and paste my responses that you avoided or ignored back then. Because you'll just pretend they don't exist here, either.

We've asked, DOZENS of times, for the DATA which indicates the voter fraud you are concerned about exists in high enough numbers to justify a law. We get NOTHING. ZERO.

And now you're starting ANOTHER thread with the same 'data'. Are you truly so ignorant, uninformed and stupid that you do not understand the point here?
You are off the rails again, Joe, and once again demonstrating you don't read threads to which you reply. Take a timeout, why don't you?

Hahaha. I've been an election day official and chairman and the people I've been with do care. Pretty long hours for minimum wages,if that's all they want. Your bottom line sounds like it came out of your bottom. Get ready for spending some money if you are going to get these wonderful younger "judges."
Election Day workers are seldom the problem. I won't say "never" because there are so many of them that some are sure to be bad apples, but it's close enough to never for government work.

I don't understand what you're saying.

I don't think you understand what ANYONE in this thread calling you out as being woefully misinformed on this topic is saying. But I'll let them speak for themselves....

Of course, you could always just "scrap this thread" after your beatdown and start a new one....

I'm saying the information is already online and hackable.

No; voter registries are kept in local municipalities. Local Registrars. You'd need to individually hack or disrupt all of them. Certain possible; much more challenging than if it's a central system, because each county handles things differently and may have different infrastructure in place.

It's not a question so much of being hard for them, although it is for many. Part of the problem is the Republican controlled states have also limited the times and days that they can register., and that has carried over to voting. It doesn't have to be a problem, if both sides and not just the Democrats made a concerted effort to help those people register, etc.
I don't doubt that has happened, and it's serious, but it doesn't really impact the subject of the thread. The poll tax -- a Democratic Party staple, if it matters -- was an egregious example, and so were some literacy tests, that kind of thing.

No; voter registries are kept in local municipalities. Local Registrars. You'd need to individually hack or disrupt all of them. Certain possible; much more challenging than if it's a central system, because each county handles things differently and may have different infrastructure in place.
The last time we had this discussion, you and I agreed that a nationwide network was a good idea. Have you changed your mind?

I don't understand what you're saying. In the first place, a lot of Republicans absolutely object to the Oregon system. In the second place, if the primary concern of Republicans were to discourage minority and immigrant voters, they would be against the Oregon system even more than against conventional voting arrangements, because it's easier for those groups to vote, legally and/or illegally.
It sounds like you understood just fine.

LC didn't want to start a climate denier thread so he went to his #2 troll.
That's a good one. Actually, I started this because there's another thread about North Carolina, and several posters kept posting stuff that wasn't related to the subject. So I started this thread to deal with posts on the general subject of voter fraud.

That's a good one. Actually, I started this because there's another thread about North Carolina, and several posters kept posting stuff that wasn't related to the subject. So I started this thread to deal with posts on the general subject of voter fraud.

Should states require voters to show a photo ID? Could you state your case for or against it and provide data or lack of same to back up your stance?

Election Day workers are seldom the problem. I won't say "never" because there are so many of them that some are sure to be bad apples, but it's close enough to never for government work.

Wait, "seldom [being] the problem," now matters to you and should be a factor in policy/making?

The hypocrisy!

The last time we had this discussion, you and I agreed that a nationwide network was a good idea. Have you changed your mind?

A national DATABASE, that is NOT CONNECTED to a network. And has redundant safety backups.

Why don't you save everybody the time by not reposting the same regurgitated talking points absent ANY new information which supports them?
The fact is that you have about a dozen posts in this thread, most of them attacking me, and haven't addressed any of the points made in the opinion piece I linked. You have claimed something by the Heritage Foundation was proven to be incorrect, but from reading your posts, nobody could have any idea what it might have been. And you have yet again misrepresented my position. That's three strikes -- which I assume to you constitutes hitting a home run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT