ADVERTISEMENT

Should taxpayers fund the bridge rebuild?

To some degree Federal taxpayers will fund a portion. I believe it is a part of the interstate system and even though each state is supposed to carry the majority of the expenses there will be some Federal agencies with involvement from the EPA to the FTC and others.

He's right that the shipping company should be footing the bill. He's just speculating about the rest.

There is a potential issue as to if we could actually force the shipping company to pay. I don't think they are a US based company. I'm not sure how it works when suing companies overseas.

Reactions: goldmom
Feds will fund some of it as well as the state. Can't wait for insurance settlement to begin work. It might even bankrupt the insurance company.
I think it’s doubtful to bankrupt the primary insurance companies. When they insure this big of a thing they then pay for reinsurers which basically spreads the responsibility to a bunch of smaller insurance companies. So it’s going to hurt a bunch of companies and not just one.

I think the tax money should pour in to get this cleaned up as soon as possible and the insurance company should be sent the bill.

He's right that the shipping company should be footing the bill. He's just speculating about the rest.

There is a potential issue as to if we could actually force the shipping company to pay. I don't think they are a US based company. I'm not sure how it works when suing companies overseas.
it's been explained in the bridge thread several times that maritime law will prevent us from getting much money from the shipping company.
Bridge needs to be rebuilt, port needs to reopen. We'll pay for it.

Yes, he is factually wrong on a couple of items, primarily that Maersk is the only company involved in the issue.

Should the taxpayers pay? Yes, this is the type of expense that many taxpayers will benefit from, and waiting years for all the reinsurers to settle claims is not an option for a port as busy as Baltimore. The losses would outweigh the investment if this dragged on for years, dealing with maritime insurance companies and Maersk and Grand Ocean Private, who will likely invoke a law from the 1800s to reduce their liability.

This should be treated as a business deal, the US has money appropriated to reconstruct the bridge and open port and is compensated once the insurance companies resolve the matter.

The vessel is not strictly liable. Their insurance are not obligated to pay unless the shipper is liable. Assuming liability, the vessels liability is limited to the value of the vessel. Unless you are able to bust limitations You also have the city and the death cases splitting up the recovery.

Lots of complicated issues that’s just ripe for the meat heads to oversimplify or simply not understand

To some degree Federal taxpayers will fund a portion. I believe it is a part of the interstate system and even though each state is supposed to carry the majority of the expenses there will be some Federal agencies with involvement from the EPA to the FTC and others.
To some degree? It's a US port.

Reactions: artradley
He's somewhat wrong. I think the shipping company or their insurance should pay for the bridge. That being said, the process to obtain that money will take years to secure. Baltimore can't wait that long so imo the gov't should fund the bridge with the anticipation of recapturing the money from Maersk at a later date.

Last edited:
I think it’s doubtful to bankrupt the primary insurance companies. When they insure this big of a thing they then pay for reinsurers which basically spreads the responsibility to a bunch of smaller insurance companies. So it’s going to hurt a bunch of companies and not just one.

I think the tax money should pour in to get this cleaned up as soon as possible and the insurance company should be sent the bill.
This is correct. Though I would alter that reinsurance companies tend to be fairly large and should*have spread out the liability enough that one claim wouldn't bankrupt them either.

If a Mississippi River bridge between Iowa and Illinois collapses should Iowa and Illinois be totally on the hook? I personally would expect federal help.
Hurricanes, Floods, Tornado’s, Does the federal government step up and offer disaster relief in those instances?
It’s a tragic accident but it is a disaster that has implications far beyond just Baltimore and the State of Maryland, I am in favor of federal government help.

If a Mississippi River bridge between Iowa and Illinois collapses should Iowa and Illinois be totally on the hook? I personally would expect federal help.
Hurricanes, Floods, Tornado’s, Does the federal government step up and offer disaster relief in those instances?
It’s a tragic accident but it is a disaster that has implications far beyond just Baltimore and the State of Maryland, I am in favor of federal government help.
It collapsed because it got struck by a vessel.

Insurance should cover replacement value,.. Fed however, should step in and cover additional cost of upgrades related to capacity, safety & redundancy,.. Even setting aside age, the replacement needs to be better than what was there.

He's the BannedBeard dude. He's been banned on stuff.

But I do always laugh when folks just post stuff like this and assume the person is spot on with everything they say.
I'm listening ot this podcast about how this man in 2020 and got both him and his dad killed and it is full on "Did my own research" vibes.

Reactions: McLovin32
He's the BannedBeard dude. He's been banned on stuff.

But I do always laugh when folks just post stuff like this and assume the person is spot on with everything they say.
Do you think I believe he's spot on with everything and that's why I posted it? If yes, you would be wrong.

What you are listing are natural disasters, not a ship owned by a company running into a bridge. Giant difference imo.

Do you think I believe he's spot on with everything and that's why I posted it? If yes, you would be wrong.
I don't know what you believe. I'll also never know what he's right or wrong about because I don't care enough to research anything that he talks about.

My fiance no pics always uses Tik Tok videos like this to show me stuff about politics and it drives me insane. Because they're normal people that rarely "show their work" regarding where they get their facts and information from and they're looking to get views. As many views and interactions as possible. That's all. I hate Tik Tok.

I don't know what you believe. I'll also never know what he's right or wrong about because I don't care enough to research anything that he talks about.

My fiance no pics always uses Tik Tok videos like this to show me stuff about politics and it drives me insane. Because they're normal people that rarely "show their work" regarding where they get their facts and information from and they're looking to get views. As many views and interactions as possible. That's all. I hate Tik Tok.
No prenup and tik tok?

Bruh.... you should just buy the PT Bruiser now.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT