ADVERTISEMENT

Should the North Secede in College Baseball? Shatel Article....OWH.

He has good points and frankly, there really is no reason the NCAA couldn’t start the season March 1 and end the CWS on July 4 or something.

But the idea is asinine. It would essentially be the FCS of college baseball. Might as well shut it down at that point.

He has good points and frankly, there really is no reason the NCAA couldn’t start the season March 1 and end the CWS on July 4 or something.

But the idea is asinine. It would essentially be the FCS of college baseball. Might as well shut it down at that point.

That's exactly what it would be is FCS. The kid that wants to go to a traditional power will still do so.

That's exactly what it would be is FCS. The kid that wants to go to a traditional power will still do so.

With all of the money flowing into the BT, could they not invest in heated infields, domes, retractable roves, etc. to change the dynamic. And no, I didn't just get off a UFO. How can the North get back into the game? Why not change the season start date? CWS in August. I think it is pretty lame that we have a draft right now. Just before super regionals. None of this makes sense! Academically, it is a terrible disadvantage to have northern teams spend four to five weeks consecutively in the south when the season starts. In FB, I was glad that the northern schools won the battle on early signing dates.

Aside from the summer league, there's this quote:

“You don’t know what’s going to happen to TV long-term. So as the financials start to change, how long are they (Big Ten athletic directors) going to let us spend the kind of money we’re spending to play college baseball? We’re lucky to get to host one regional in our league. How long is that going to go on?”​

I have watched Iowa build and build and I have worried for a long time what Iowa and the league in general is going to do when the BTN money runs out. Minny is lucky to have someone with some sanity pointing out the building spree can't go on forever.

With all of the money flowing into the BT, could they not invest in heated infields, domes, retractable roves, etc. to change the dynamic. And no, I didn't just get off a UFO. How can the North get back into the game? Why not change the season start date? CWS in August. I think it is pretty lame that we have a draft right now. Just before super regionals. None of this makes sense! Academically, it is a terrible disadvantage to have northern teams spend four to five weeks consecutively in the south when the season starts. In FB, I was glad that the northern schools won the battle on early signing dates.

I think it's a lot more complex than that. You're talking keeping kids in school well past the MLB draft. Would MLB teams allow it? You're talking TV contracts, booked dates at TD Ameritrade, and so on.

I think it's a lot more complex than that. You're talking keeping kids in school well past the MLB draft. Would MLB teams allow it? You're talking TV contracts, booked dates at TD Ameritrade, and so on.
They need to move the MLB draft. There is no reason to have it now.

MLB teams let their draft picks finish the season now. Why would that change?

ESPN is all-in on the NBA. Get the NBA out of the way and they can go all in on regionals/super/CWS. I'd argue College baseball would get more coverage if the season was pushed back.

I'm sure TD Ameritrade could accommodate a date change. The CWS is the only reason that stadium exists.

They need to move the MLB draft. There is no reason to have it now.

MLB teams let their draft picks finish the season now. Why would that change?

ESPN is all-in on the NBA. Get the NBA out of the way and they can go all in on regionals/super/CWS. I'd argue College baseball would get more coverage if the season was pushed back.

I'm sure TD Ameritrade could accommodate a date change. The CWS is the only reason that stadium exists.

It could be done but no way the sec and acc agree.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
It could be done but no way the sec and acc agree.

Correct. It is their highest leverage point, aside from the fact that their schools are located in good-weather climates and have more talent closer to home. They will not willingly give up the opportunity to showcase the advantages of being able to play baseball outside in February and to be outside all year round to accommodate the northern schools.

I don't advocate spinning off the northern schools into a separate league. But it is tough to compete, especially if the TV money goes away.

It would take a lot more money than what is currently coming in for domes and retractable roofs. Not to mention the ongoing maintenance and cost of those facilities. Yes, the TV money helps but it's not as if every sport gets an extra $15M every year. The revenues are plowed back into football and all the other sports (women's sports too).

Season start date would help some. But still doesn't change the fact the southern schools have a) a lot more talent close to their campuses than the northern schools do and b) kids who go to southern schools can practice/work on their games outside year round.

The uniform start date and RPI tweaking was a "win" for Northern schools. Back in the day southern schools had 10 games in before some Northern schools played their first game.

I love the idea of summer baseball in college. I love the fact that Iowa still plays summer baseball in high school. I know several people that played baseball/softball at the NAIA level and seeing them have to play in sweatshirts, stocking hats, etc. looked brutal. This game was made to be played in warm weather. I don't think you'll ever see the Northern teams form their own league, but you have to propose a drastic plan to hopefully get the NCAA to compromise to a lesser more workable plan just like any other negotiation.

If you started the season 6 weeks later it would be perfect. Northern schools would still likely head south the first couple weeks because the weather is still dicey. Half of the season would be played after the spring semester. Teams could take longer road trips by not missing so much class time. College baseball and the MLB would own the summer but College would be done before MLB hits the home stretch. Here would be the projected dates:

Season starts the last weekend of March: March 30 - April 1
Conference games would be played in May and June.
Conference Tourney's start first weekend in July: July 4 - 7
Regionals: July 11-14
Supers: July 20 - 22
CWS: July 28 - Aug 8

I love the idea of summer baseball in college. I love the fact that Iowa still plays summer baseball in high school. I know several people that played baseball/softball at the NAIA level and seeing them have to play in sweatshirts, stocking hats, etc. looked brutal. This game was made to be played in warm weather. I don't think you'll ever see the Northern teams form their own league, but you have to propose a drastic plan to hopefully get the NCAA to compromise to a lesser more workable plan just like any other negotiation.

If you started the season 6 weeks later it would be perfect. Northern schools would still likely head south the first couple weeks because the weather is still dicey. Half of the season would be played after the spring semester. Teams could take longer road trips by not missing so much class time. College baseball and the MLB would own the summer but College would be done before MLB hits the home stretch. Here would be the projected dates:

Season starts the last weekend of March: March 30 - April 1
Conference games would be played in May and June.
Conference Tourney's start first weekend in July: July 4 - 7
Regionals: July 11-14
Supers: July 20 - 22
CWS: July 28 - Aug 8

Most importantly we could stop playing western illinois midweek.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT