ADVERTISEMENT

Should We Be Worried About BRICS Expansion?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
...And if so, what should we do about it?

Twenty-three nations have applied to join BRICS - Brazil, Russia, India, China, S.Africa. Seven members of OPEC - including Saudi Arabia - among them.

Russia and China are permanent members of the UN Security Council. The other 3 original BRICS members are demanding permanent membership. Which would give a veto to the first Latin American nation (Brazil), the first African nation (S.Africa), and the world's most populous nation (India, soon if not already passing China on that measure).

Among the other things BRICS and their possible new members are talking about are currency moves that would reduce the clout and importance of the US dollar.

Last edited:
Reuters has a different count on how many nations want to join BRICS. Some allies, some foes.

WHICH NATIONS WANT TO JOIN BRICS AND WHY?​

Over 40 countries, including Iran, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Algeria, Bolivia, Indonesia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Comoros, Gabon, and Kazakhstan have expressed interest in joining the forum, according to 2023 summit chair South Africa.​

India should be on the Security Council.

South Africa and Brazil? Get real.
Might be hard to make the argument for S.Africa, but easy to make it for Brazil. By far the largest nation in Latin America (2nd largest in the Western hemisphere, 7th in the world), nearly the size of continental US in area, home of the critical Amazon rain forest.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
China’s economy is on the verge of an implosion. It is driven by real estate and their two largest developers are bankrupt. Their 16-24 year old demographic is unable to find work.

Russia has been shown for what they’ve always been, a bitch dog with a loud bark.

If these other countries want to align themselves with these “players,” have at it. They’ll get dragged down into the same shit that the two stalwarts are heading.

Reactions: noleclone2
G7-vs-BRICS-2023.jpg

This is scary for the world economy.

Excess young males are perfect for wars.
They don’t have excess young males. The unemployed youth are taking care of their aging parents and grandparents. The problem is that they’re not developing skills or careers.

Living at home further drives down the birthrate. China is now at 1.09 births per woman down from 1.20 before Covid. They’re facing an accelerated demographic collapse.

Might be hard to make the argument for S.Africa, but easy to make it for Brazil. By far the largest nation in Latin America (2nd largest in the Western hemisphere, 7th in the world), nearly the size of continental US in area, home of the critical Amazon rain forest.
Germany, Japan, and Australia aren’t on the Security Council.

China’s economy is on the verge of an implosion. It is driven by real estate and their two largest developers are bankrupt. Their 16-24 year old demographic is unable to find work.

Russia has been shown for what they’ve always been, a bitch dog with a loud bark.

If these other countries want to align themselves with these “players,” have at it. They’ll get dragged down into the same shit that the two stalwarts are heading.
It's interesting because China covers up so much of what is going on with their economy. How long will they be able to isolate their problems from the world at large?

The security council is already useless. Adding more countries will just ensure nothing ever gets done about anything. The rules of the security council need to be reformed. I would actually support more countries getting permanent seats if we could also make it so that it isn't a unanimous vote that is required to get something done. I'm fine with a steep climb, but make it like 75% or 80% of the council needs to vote yes, or something like that.

Also, if these countries wanting to join this new group think they are going to be treated better by China and Russia than they are the United States and Europe, they are in for a very rude surprise.

This is another reason the US needs to pull back from globalism a bit (not completely abandon it, but be far less dependent on it) and increase manufacturing here at home. It could help insulate us from whatever successes this other group of countries puts together. Natural resources could be a problem though. Maybe that will provide the stimulus to actually make mining asteroids worth the investment.

BRICS is structurally untenable. Their initial structure is based on consensus ... and India is the skunk at the garden party. India stands in opposition to anything serious like a BRICS currency, for instance.

With China's and Russia's star fading, BRICS is going nowhere.

They don’t have excess young males. The unemployed youth are taking care of their aging parents and grandparents. The problem is that they’re not developing skills or careers.

Living at home further drives down the birthrate. China is now at 1.09 births per woman down from 1.20 before Covid. They’re facing an accelerated demographic collapse.
I heard someone saying they are headed toward 800,000. Not remembering the timeline.

This is scary for the world economy.

Excess young males are perfect for wars.
They can't find jobs and their options for wives are limited. The ratio for all ages is 104 males for every 100 females but the one-child policy didn't end until 2016 so this demographic is skewed much more to males. In China, families that do have daughters want them to marry up so a man without a job won't be able to find a wife and that's socially unacceptable. Gonna be some pissed off Chinamen.

BRICS is a sleeping giant but much like illinois football is destined to remain so. imo china's presence pretty much neuters any cooperative venture in today's world.

I'm relieved to learn that HROT dismisses any cause for concern about BRICS or China.

I'll go back to worrying about climate change and Republicans.
There's plenty to worry about China. BRICS might, however, be the cure for Chinese domination. India will eventually rise to be a strategic peer and partner to the west ... the values are ridiculously aligned for it not to be so. #NixonScrewedthePooch

Worry about China? yes ... BRICS? Not so much.

Reactions: GOHOX69
They can't find jobs and their options for wives are limited. The ratio for all ages is 104 males for every 100 females but the one-child policy didn't end until 2016 so this demographic is skewed much more to males. In China, families that do have daughters want them to marry up so a man without a job won't be able to find a wife and that's socially unacceptable. Gonna be some pissed off Chinamen.
Lots of cannon fodder. Frankly, I'm a little surprised China hasn't embarked on more military adventures. What are they doing with the excess young males? Anything?

Lots of cannon fodder. Frankly, I'm a little surprised China hasn't embarked on more military adventures. What are they doing with the excess young males? Anything?
China stopped sharing the data on their youth unemployment this month. They're trying to attract investment with favorable treatment for foreign money and businesses. Cutting interest rates. None of that fixes their demographics, though.

China likely will implode or come close to it during the next decade.

Nobody in their right mind would switch to a currency tied to a population that isn’t remotely close to being open and free.

Maybe we should consider North Korea while we are at it.

Bunch of second rate shit countries.

Listen to some Peter Zeihan podcasts.

China doesn't fight hot wars. Sun Tzu and all that ... . They just sabre rattle and sabre rattle until we get tired of all that noise and give in.

What's your take?
1. Things are dynamic.
2. These are not dirt poor countries as some moron posted. India just landed a craft on the moon. It will have the third to fifth largest economy very soon and the largest middle class in the world.
3. The dollar is not a permanent fixture for international transactions and we (Americans) have to protect our asses to see that the dollar standard, especially for international banking and oil doesn't go away.
4. There are enough dirty double dealings in BRICS. For those that are ignorant, China and India have basically been fighting since 1962 and China recently has invaded and occupies a large chunk of northern India and northeast India. This hasn't been resolved and can only be resolved with massive bloodshed. The so called excess Chinese male population will be used to fight a war in India and a war in Taiwan. My relatives (I am of Indian descent) will sufffer and thousands of Indians will die as will thousands of Americans if we go defend Taiwan (which our treaties require). Russia is dead letter and is blowing its wad in one last hurrah. Even if it wins in Ukraine, there will be a permanent insurgency and no long term peace.
5. Expanding BRICS, which India is resisting, is stupid. In that regard, the moron who posted about dirt poor countries is correct. It will dilute the organization to a shit show.

Take home: As long as India and China are at war, it will never succeed. It can't. However, as an Indian American, I am ashamed at India's position on Russia so in a sense, I do like to see India get its ass kicked so Modi can disappear.

1. Things are dynamic.
2. These are not dirt poor countries as some moron posted. India just landed a craft on the moon. It will have the third to fifth largest economy very soon and the largest middle class in the world.
3. The dollar is not a permanent fixture for international transactions and we (Americans) have to protect our asses to see that the dollar standard, especially for international banking and oil doesn't go away.
4. There are enough dirty double dealings in BRICS. For those that are ignorant, China and India have basically been fighting since 1962 and China recently has invaded and occupies a large chunk of northern India and northeast India. This hasn't been resolved and can only be resolved with massive bloodshed. The so called excess Chinese male population will be used to fight a war in India and a war in Taiwan. My relatives (I am of Indian descent) will sufffer and thousands of Indians will die as will thousands of Americans if we go defend Taiwan (which our treaties require). Russia is dead letter and is blowing its wad in one last hurrah. Even if it wins in Ukraine, there will be a permanent insurgency and no long term peace.
5. Expanding BRICS, which India is resisting, is stupid. In that regard, the moron who posted about dirt poor countries is correct. It will dilute the organization to a shit show.

Take home: As long as India and China are at war, it will never succeed. It can't. However, as an Indian American, I am ashamed at India's position on Russia so in a sense, I do like to see India get its ass kicked so Modi can disappear.

India's position on Russia is partly on principle - Europe imports gas from Russia, wants to ban oil exports to India (and the rest of the global south) ... but will gladly import refined Russian oil from India:rolleyes:, and partly on self-interest - when the US was arming Pakistan all through the last century, India had to rely on Soviet weaponry, 70% of India's legacy systems are Russian-made ... it'll take time to change that and India can't upset the Russians too much (especially with China's ongoing incursions into Indian land).

Nothing to be ashamed of ... the US is on board and has stepped up efforts to help India decouple from Russia. At the end of the day, all politics are based on self interest.

India's position on Russia is partly on principle - Europe imports gas from Russia, wants to ban oil exports to India (and the rest of the global south) ... but will gladly import refined Russian oil from India:rolleyes:, and partly on self-interest - when the US was arming Pakistan all through the last century, India had to rely on Soviet weaponry, 70% of India's legacy systems are Russian-made ... it'll take time to change that and India can't upset the Russians too much (especially with China's ongoing incursions into Indian land).

Nothing to be ashamed of ... the US is on board and has stepped up efforts to help India decouple from Russia. At the end of the day, all politics are based on self interest.
Yes. I get the past but the past is the past and Russia is two to three timing India and unless they are imbeciles, they should know that.

Yes. I get the past but the past is the past and Russia is two to three timing India and unless they are imbeciles, they should know that.

I expect they know that ... but you can't replace your entire military on a dime. It takes time. The US and the French are helping.

What's your take?
We should be very concerned.

Biden has been very vocal about going to net zero and eliminating the use of oil. Why would other countries want to pay for oil with the dollar when we don't even approve its use.

If Mexico gets accepted into the Brics, what will you think when Russia or China want to build a military base close to the US border?

For those pointing out the problems of China, have you not paid attention to the problems in the usa lately? Americans are deeply divided by the political and culture wars. The left leaders are driving this country toward corporate capitalism. We are deeply in debt.

We are on the doorstep of a major economic downturn and the govt is actively trying to increase unemployment. The left is trying to drum up fear of covid again so they can blame the recession on covid rather than shitty policy.

America is not in a good place right now and we are extremely vulnerable. Biden thinks he can win Ukraine by talking tough, but its not gonna happen.

There a lot of countries that don't like what Biden is doing and don't trust the direction he is heading. You can talk bad about Russia, China, India as much as you want, but they will not be defeated without putting up a big fight. So Biden better be prepared for what he's asking for.

I do worry about military alliances between Pakistan, Russia, Iran, China, Korea (DPRK) and Syria

I do worry about military alliances between Pakistan, Russia, Iran, China, Korea (DPRK) and Syria
This has already happened. Good thing is besides China your listed countries are butt ass broke and China is going to head there.

Leaders of the BRICS group of developing nations have invited...

Saudi Arabia​
Iran​
Ethiopia​
Egypt​
Argentina​
United Arab Emirates​
... to join, in a move aimed at growing the clout of a bloc that has pledged to champion the "Global South".

More than 40 countries have expressed interest in joining BRICS, say South African officials, and 22 have formally asked to be admitted.

LOL at South Africa’s President saying they’re all equals.

I’m sure that’s how China thinks of Ethiopia.

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
Heard a radio ad (I think it was one of the buy gold firms) that said BRICS+ is about to launch a digital global currency that will greatly reduce the value of the dollar (i.e. so you should buy metals from them).

So there. It's scary because an ad said so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT