ADVERTISEMENT

Should we incentivize two parent households within the tax code?

So there's a tax incentive for an abuse victim to stay married to their abuser? Sounds like a bad idea.

Most would lose far more on losing their husband's income, I hardly think a tax credit is going to change their behavior.

On the flipside, why shouldn't the tax code try and incentivize all behavior that is good for society. We do it with EVs, with charitable donations, with home ownership, why not marriage?
Because dead moms aren't good for society.

I am zero percent surprised that you have no idea about how easy divorce was one of the most beneficial sources of women's advances.
Gee, why not try to push things the other way, they're only women!
As a divorced/remarried parent, you're correct to some extent. Getting women out of abusive marriages without the taboo stink is a great advancement. However, couples don't want to work through the hard parts of marriage all too often. "I've fallen out of love. Goodbye".

According to this Forbes article, divorce for abuse accounts for only 3% of divorces.

Lack of family support - 43%
Infidelity or extramarital affairs - 34%
Lack of compatibility - 31%
Lack of intimacy - 31%
Too much conflict or arguing - 31%
Financial stress - 24%
Lack of commitment - 23%
Parenting differences - 20%
Marrying too young - 10%
Opposing values or morals - 6%
Substance abuse - 3%
Domestic violence (physical and/or emotional) - 3%
Pursing different lifestyles - 1%

Reactions: Ghee Buttersnaps
Then this is an incentive for the abuser to not let the abuser leave
Abusive people already have incentives to try to prevent someone from leaving.

I think we all agree single mother is better than an abusive father in the house, yes?

Yes, but why should we forget something that could help families and incentivize families over some bad actors?

There are lots of shitty families that don't do anything for their kids. Should we take away the child tax credit because of those bad actors?

It feels like certain types of people are opposed to the very idea that marriage and parents staying together is a good thing and should be encouraged. I don't know why they are opposed to this idea other than "it sounds socially conservative so therefore I must hate it."

Reactions: GES4
Are ya'll certain that BelemNole isn't the same poster as that Joe who knows everything guy? I don't think, "My bad", "you make a good point" or "I was wrong" is in their vocabulary. Their wives probably have a support group. LOL

Abusive people already have incentives to try to prevent someone from leaving.

Yes, but why should we forget something that could help families and incentivize families over some bad actors?

There are lots of shitty families that don't do anything for their kids. Should we take away the child tax credit because of those bad actors?

It feels like certain types of people are opposed to the very idea that marriage and parents staying together is a good thing and should be encouraged. I don't know why they are opposed to this idea other than "it sounds socially conservative so therefore I must hate it."
No, I'm concerned the damage this could do to domestic violence abuse victims. I think that concern trumps all others.

Reactions: BelemNole
Tax credit for households with two parents with children in the household, over and above the already given child tax credits.

I think this is a good idea. It's not punishing single moms or those non-dual parent households as their status will not be affected at all. It should apply to civil unions/ gay marriages as well, so there's no issue there. And if people get their feelings hurt by this, as a bonus, they can eat a bag of shit because no one cares what they think!

I think it's a good investment in our children. Who's with me?!?!?
You just want welfare.

Reactions: Ree4
As a divorced/remarried parent, you're correct to some extent. Getting women out of abusive marriages without the taboo stink is a great advancement. However, couples don't want to work through the hard parts of marriage all too often. "I've fallen out of love. Goodbye".

According to this Forbes article, divorce for abuse accounts for only 3% of divorces.

Lack of family support - 43%
Infidelity or extramarital affairs - 34%
Lack of compatibility - 31%
Lack of intimacy - 31%
Too much conflict or arguing - 31%
Financial stress - 24%
Lack of commitment - 23%
Parenting differences - 20%
Marrying too young - 10%
Opposing values or morals - 6%
Substance abuse - 3%
Domestic violence (physical and/or emotional) - 3%
Pursing different lifestyles - 1%

If you turn it into a percentage it's still 3 dead women a day.
But sure, let's make things harder, what could it hurt. I mean, other than a 4th woman a day.

^THIS^

My daughter's dance team had a lesbian parenting couple as well as a few single moms, so when we had the half-time daddy daughter dance routine we had one mom out there along with some brother's grandpas, etc. Nobody gave a flying fart and we're in Texas. The stink would have risen if the traditional dance had been canceled over the lesbian mom. Again, no one cared. The 2nd mom had a blast with us uncoordinated dads.
In a case like that the child of these two parents would have known the event was canceled because they had an alternative parenting situation. Unnecessary cruelty if it had happened.
You all handled it really well. Kudos.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Why do we have to jump straight to abuse? How about an incentive for the philanderer that finds it financially easier to walk out on his family than stick around? What if it was financially more difficult?
My late husband’s father walked off with another woman leaving his wife with four kids under the age of 10. Bad situation especially in the early 60’s when most kids still lived in a two parent home. Financial problems were real, and his Dad basically estranged himself from the kids. My Mother in Law had to go to court on more than one occasion to get monies owed. And he was not financially strapped either. He was just a jerk.
The effect on my husband was to work hard every day to be an outstanding Dad to his own children. And he was.

Reactions: Ree4 and CLUB215
No, I'm concerned the damage this could do to domestic violence abuse victims. I think that concern trumps all others.
Yeah. We should also stop promoting and funding public education because of its direct link to school shootings. The safety of our children trumps everything else. Homeschooling is the only answer. Such a good point you and Belem are the only ones making here.

Why would we possibly want to incentivize something that, by almost every statistical measure, is correlated with positive long term outcomes?

Why would we possibly want to incentivize something that, by almost every statistical measure, is correlated with positive long term outcomes?
I think it would mostly be for show not results. How many people do you think will stay married for a little extra tax credit? I'm not necessarily against the idea, but most likely it would be a feel good policy that actually doesn't achieve the desired results.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I disagree.

Do abusive husbands murder their wives because they lose out on the child tax credit when the children end up with the wife? Should we get rid of that tax credit too?

Seems to me that abuse and abusers who murder their spouse has a heck of a lot more to do with ego and power than with tax credits. I mean you are talking about someone who theoretically wouldn't murder their spouse due to their shaddered ego or their need to take complete power over someone else, but would be thrown over the line because he lost a tax credit worth a few thousand dollars.

Honestly I think that's ridiculous. Abusive spouses arn't that way because of some financial calculations. Most abusive spouses probably don't want their spouse to even work because it lowers their power over them. They arn't doing it for the money they are doing it for the power.

Last edited:
Do abusive husbands murder their wives because they lose out on the child tax credit when the children end up with the wife? Should we get rid of that tax credit too?

Seems to me that abuse and abusers who murder their spouse has a heck of a lot more to do with ego and power than with tax credits. I mean you are talking about someone who theoretically wouldn't murder their spouse due to their shaddered ego or their need to take complete power over someone else, but would be thrown over the line because he lost a tax credit worth a few thousand dollars.

Honestly I think that's ridiculous. Abusive spouses arn't that way because of some financial calculations. Most abusive spouses probably don't want their spouse to even work because it lowers their power over them. They arn't doing it for the money they are doing it for the power.
I'm saying the tax break provides incentive for abusers to stay with the abused and vice versa, not that tax causes abusers to abuse.

I'm saying the tax break provides incentive for abusers to stay with the abused and vice versa, not that tax causes abusers to abuse.

And as I pointed out the loss of income is a much bigger incentive than a couple thousand dollar tax break. We going to illegalize husbands making an income?

And honestly the person that needs to leave is the abused. You arn't going to convince the abuser to leave, life's cushy for them they have a personal slave that obeys them out of fear. They arn't giving that up of their own accord. But they arn't going to suddenly get more violent because of a tax credit. Being able to enforce complete power over a person via fear is much more important than money.

Our tax code already does that. Should we stop allowing people to file jointly? You’re for ending that, correct? I mean…the abused trumping everything else and all.

The IRS strongly encourages most couples to file joint tax returns by extending several tax breaks to those who file together. In the vast majority of cases, it's best for married couples to file jointly, but there may be a few instances when it's better to submit separate returns.

Our tax code already does that. Should we stop allowing people to file jointly? You’re for ending that, correct? I mean…the abused trumping everything else and all.

The IRS strongly encourages most couples to file joint tax returns by extending several tax breaks to those who file together. In the vast majority of cases, it's best for married couples to file jointly, but there may be a few instances when it's better to submit separate returns.
Was the original proposal in this thread just for married couples?

And as I pointed out the loss of income is a much bigger incentive than a couple thousand dollar tax break. We going to illegalize husbands making an income?

And honestly the person that needs to leave is the abused. You arn't going to convince the abuser to leave, life's cushy for them they have a personal slave that obeys them out of fear. They arn't giving that up of their own accord. But they arn't going to suddenly get more violent because of a tax credit. Being able to enforce complete power over a person via fear is much more important than money.
It is difficult for the abused to leave these situations, and I am concerned this theoretical tax proposal will make it even harder.

Was the original proposal in this thread just for married couples?
Two parent homes was my initial thought. It's not like I've done a 400 page proposal on it.
It is difficult for the abused to leave these situations, and I am concerned this theoretical tax proposal will make it even harder.

And again, why don't you think that about our current tax plan which rewards filing jointly? Surely those same mean spouses are currently trapping their abused partners for tax purposes. No?

Two parent homes was my initial thought. It's not like I've done a 400 page proposal on it.

And again, why don't you think that about our current tax plan which rewards filing jointly? Surely those same mean spouses are currently trapping their abused partners for tax purposes. No?

Honestly I think the abuse herring is just something they throw in because it sounds too socially conservative to reward people for staying married.

I can't imagine with all the other difficulties of getting out of an abusive situation anyone is going to stop and think "Gee this is really gonna mess around with my 1040's"

Honestly I think the abuse herring is just something they throw in because it sounds too socially conservative to reward people for staying married.

I can't imagine with all the other difficulties of getting out of an abusive situation anyone is going to stop and think "Gee this is really gonna mess around with my 1040's"
It will influence decisions, especially if it is a refundable credit.

Of course it is.

Two parent homes unmarried is different than married. And you're now comparing to filing status, vs a credit. The refundable credits for children do create a perverse incentive to have more children, even if the parent can't afford them. Your proposed idea will have negative consequences as well.

Two parent homes unmarried is different than married. And you're now comparing to filing status, vs a credit. The refundable credits for children do create a perverse incentive to have more children, even if the parent can't afford them. Your proposed idea will have negative consequences as well.

And yet our fertility rate is lower than ever.

That joint status provides a monetary benefit. Something you seem to think will trap people in abusive relationships. And you can't bring yourself to imagine the same faux negative consequences of it.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT