ADVERTISEMENT

SI: Connor slams rumor his dad wants out at Iowa

So a rumor I didn't even know existed about a mcCaffrey gets bigger because of another McCaffrey. Is it that hard to just STFU and not get involved? They don't take criticism well but a lot of their antics between mom, dad, and the kids draw a lot of it.
Or they're just tired of the crap that people on this board and others dish at them without a single shred of evidence. I heard from a reliable source that Fran didn't take a piss this morning when he woke up and that he has a kidney issue and is going to retire.
Geez. teenage girls gossip less than many of the posters on this board.

Or they're just tired of the crap that people on this board and others dish at them without a single shred of evidence. I heard from a reliable source that Fran didn't take a piss this morning when he woke up and that he has a kidney issue and is going to retire.
That's the point dude. It was just a rumor. Rumors circulate about public people all the time. It's also the time of year coaching rumors start peaking. Literally part of the job when you coach in a division one power five conference. Connor chose to address that rumor vs just letting it be a rumor and almost no one would have even heard it.

Let's look at just one example down I-80 at Drake. Does DeVries' kid feel compelled to speak out about rumors surrounding his dad and other jobs? Further down I-80 I don't recall Hoibergs kid chiming in from Lincoln about anything when his dad was on the hot seat.

McCaffrey's are the kind of people that always have to get involved in shit. Yet want to be victims of being in the spotlight.

You mean this guy. LoL…..

th
An apple somewhere is terrified

I had not heard that rumor until seeing SI's story on Conor "slamming" it. If no one else in Hawkeyeland had heard it, how did it get to a national sports publication?

No, not bashing at all….

tweeterhawk said:
Remember when Fran brought to Iowa City his heralded recruit, Melsahn Basabe?

Yeah, that was awesome.
Look, I liked Mel. When he had a social media account I wrote him several times during his Iowa career thanking him for taking a chance to come west with Fran and to be part of a resurgence of Iowa basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
Look, I liked Mel. When he had a social media account I wrote him several times during his Iowa career thanking him for taking a chance to come west with Fran and to be part of a resurgence of Iowa basketball.

Okay. So there was no sarcasm in your post? You thought Basabe was heralded recruit and it was awesome when he chose to come here?

Basabe was a large part of changing the losing culture around here, so we should look back and bash him now.
Since when is calling someone solid but not spectacular basketball player a form of bashing? Maybe you should spend less time bashing other posters.

BTW our "losing culture" was only 3 years of Lickliter.

It is now 28 years of head coaching for Fran without a Sweet16 on his resume. I suppose Fran has a shot at a Sweet16 or B1G title next year, at least theoretically.

Reactions: DewHawk
Since when is calling someone solid but not spectacular basketball player a form of bashing? Maybe you should spend less time bashing other posters.

BTW our "losing culture" was only 3 years of Lickliter.

It is now 28 years of head coaching for Fran without a Sweet16 on his resume. I suppose Fran has a shot at a Sweet16 or B1G title next year, at least theoretically.

Good lord you’re dense. I was agreeing with icwesthawk and even liked his post. Even the person bashing Melsahn knew who I was talking to.

Yeah, you’re right. It was only three years or maybe even four with SA’s last year. No big deal.

Okay. So there was no sarcasm in your post? You thought Basabe was heralded recruit and it was awesome when he chose to come here?
I was around when Iowa hit rock bottom and Lickliter was shown the door. Were you? I thought it was great an athlete Fran had recruited in New York was willing to come to corn country to try to resurrect the Iowa program. No sarcasm, my friend.

I was around when Iowa hit rock bottom and Lickliter was shown the door. Were you? I thought it was great an athlete Fran had recruited in New York was willing to come to corn country to try to resurrect the Iowa program. No sarcasm, my friend.

I apologize then, because your original comment came off very sarcastic. My fault for taking it the wrong way.

I’ve been around since Nov 2001 according to my handle. I was around in the prehistoric days before that when we had similar debates whether Dr Tom should be let go or not. I couldn’t tell you the website, but it may have been superhawkeye or something similar. I was here when Kakert and Miller teamed up to create this site, well before Rivals took it over.

I apologize then, because your original comment came off very sarcastic. My fault for taking it the wrong way.

I’ve been around since Nov 2001 according to my handle. I was around in the prehistoric days before that when we had similar debates whether Dr Tom should be let go or not. I couldn’t tell you the website, but it may have been superhawkeye or something similar.
Apology accepted. I think we all want what's best for Iowa basketball, whether it is under the tutelage of Fran McCaffrey or someone else.

Reactions: iahawks10
How is it fair that all these other schools get Iowa father son combos like Doug and Greg McDermott at Creighton and Tucker and Darian Devries at Drake??? And Iowa gets Brian Ferentz and CMac??? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
The angst comes down to their playing time, which a lot of fans(me included) believe their talent didn't warrant. Doug and Tucker are/were top 5 on their teams. Both McCaffery kids would have been much more appreciated and probably Fran too if they hadn't taken minutes from players that were arguably better. Connor until his 5th year should have been a 10-12 min player and Patrick is a 5-10 min guy at best.

The angst comes down to their playing time, which a lot of fans(me included) believe their talent didn't warrant. Doug and Tucker are/were top 5 on their teams. Both McCaffery kids would have been much more appreciated and probably Fran too if they hadn't taken minutes from players that were arguably better. Connor until his 5th year should have been a 10-12 min player and Patrick is a 5-10 min guy at best.
I absolutely agree. 🤦‍♂️ Doug is probably the greatest basketball player in the history of Creighton. Doug revolutionized the athletic future of Creighton too.
Tucker probably isn’t on that level but he’s got to be one of the top 5 basketball players in Drake history.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
Their behavior at IC West BB games is shameful. Many shreds of evidence regarding that.

Well he certainly isnt going to retire with the money he makes doing what he likes.

If they fire him he still gets the money
I say come to an agreement financially with him and part ways. It’s been 14 years and time for a new direction so they can go get Darian Devries and Tucker for one season as a Hawkeye and I’d bet money Darian could lead Iowa to a sweet 16 next year or within a couple years. The time is now to make a change.

Last edited:
Don’t really understand this non sequitur response, but csb.
Follow along closely. You said, she would handle Kirk and Fran differently than Barta. He gave them contract extensions for above avarage performance. Hawks won the BIG basketball tourney a couple years ago and his teams have been a top tier team for quite a few years. 7th seed this year, which was down this year. Ferentz has a top ten win/loss record nationally over the past five years. I'm sure Beth would probably have done something similar. She thinks higher of them than you.

Is that Sequitur enough for you?

Last edited:

I’ve been around since Nov 2001 according to my handle. I was around in the prehistoric days before that when we had similar debates whether Dr Tom should be let go or not. I couldn’t tell you the website, but it may have been superhawkeye or something similar. I was here when Kakert and Miller teamed up to create this site, well before Rivals took it over.
Voice of the Hawkeyes?

I say come to an agreement financially with him and part ways. It’s been 14 years and time for a new direction so they can go get Darian Devries and Tucker for one season as a Hawkeye and I’d bet money Darian could lead Iowa to a sweet 16 next year or within a couple years. The time is now to make a change.
I agree, Hell Tom Davis was let go with way more accomplishments than Fran. Period

As much as I’d like to see Fran shown the door, I don’t think it will be done at this time. Although an absolute complete no-show by the team tonight just may be the tipping point. I think it’s more likely that he is given a two-year Sweet 16 or B1G championship ultimatum; similar to how I think BG is giving KF certain criteria for earning the privilege of coaching more than another two seasons (should he want to).

How well to the Sandforts get along with the DeVries? They played together in HS didn't they?

Follow along closely. You said, she would handle Kirk and Fran differently than Barta. He gave them contract extensions for above avarage performance. Hawks won the BIG basketball tourney a couple years ago and his teams have been a top tier team for quite a few years. 7th seed this year, which was down this year. Ferentz has a top ten win/loss record nationally over the past five years. I'm sure Beth would probably have done something similar. She thinks higher of them than you.

Is that Sequitur enough for you?
we need more sequitur & vernacular!

And more f'ing cow bell while were at it!

Speaking of cow bell, isn't this a Miss. St. thing? Wouldn't their B'ball coach be a good Iowa fit?

will ferrell cowbell GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT