ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: IHSAA should apologize

The IHSSN is not a good thing at all. 20 years ago there were 30 radio stations covering the games and now there are a small handfull. They charge stations $190 per game to carry the game and they don't do anything. This is in addition to what we have to pay the Unidome and any line or internet charges, talent fees and other expenses. The TV thing is all money driven and nothing else. (Just like the radio). The IHSSN is the pits and I'm going lightly on them.

Reactions: Herkmeister
So Dowling won their 5th consecutive State Championship, I'm ready for that JW announcement now.

Yup this is nice watching the games out of state. Hell my family is watching my cousins game in Wisconsin right now from Iowa (they have dish tv). Its nice for out of state people. Almost all states are on fox sports channels so the rest of the country can see them.

The people who are complaining have to understand that ALL SPORTS BARS carry the fox sports channels, so pony up the $$ and go have a beer or two and watch the games if you do not get them at home.

I think it was a smart decision by the boys in Boone. It gives the state more tv coverage. Pretty much they are sticking it to Mediacom, because medicacom doesn't carry NBC Chicago do they?

Yeah in some areas Mediacom carries it, and in some they don't. If you're in an area that they don't and you subscribe to Mediacom, you can't get it. But cool that you think it was smart of the boys in Boone to **** Iowa residents out of watching HS football, basketball, wrestling championships. Right on, screw them.

True and to add to that...word of mouth is the best salesperson. If you have a good experience but don't keep it...you may get them future customers that ask about how it worked for you.

Word of mouth is the worst salesperson because you have no control of the message.

The IHSSN is not a good thing at all. 20 years ago there were 30 radio stations covering the games and now there are a small handfull. They charge stations $190 per game to carry the game and they don't do anything. This is in addition to what we have to pay the Unidome and any line or internet charges, talent fees and other expenses. The TV thing is all money driven and nothing else. (Just like the radio). The IHSSN is the pits and I'm going lightly on them.
That’s my take too. Obviously the ED, Al Beste is really the worsty. :(

Why have the school districts tolerated this?

Word of mouth is the worst salesperson because you have no control of the message.
except when that message is digital media and people see for themselves what the product is. serious LOLs over here @ using a free trial being compared to theft or anything close to it. if just a couple people decide slings quality is good enough to drop cable even if they didn't intend to prior (it is and so is many other streaming options) then the free trial has done its job.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
You can only get games on line. If your cable provider does not have NBCChicago, you're basically screwed unless you have Dish or Direct TV.

Or, you can be a thief and use a trial period on Sling TV. But this requires signing up, giving your cc #, then cancelling. I just ain't built that way. To me that's stealing.

I'm just pissed the IHSAA would set up something like this. I'm sure they had their reasons and I'm just spouting without the facts.

So Soy, in about 3 posts my dumb ass reputation will be sustained. o_O
Spend some of that moldy money Herk don't you have suite tix at Iowa?

I've written them complaining about this, won't do any good I'm sure but it was fun. At the IHSSN site with the streaming service there's a lame excuse page explaining their BS reasoning. Had to be about $$$. They've pimped out Iowa HS football, wrestling, basketball championships and screwed thousands of Iowa residents who subscribe to Mediacom out of watching. Only suggestion I have is seeing if any family or friends have Dish or Direct TV, see if they'd be willing to let you log in with their account info, going to the IHSSN streaming site, clicking on the appropriate provider, and entering their log in info.

I miss the days where all you had to do was turn it to IPTV.
I wrote them and thanked them. Dish or direct tv are not the only way to watch it. Cut the cord and live in modern times. Dump the terrible mediacom TV picture and download PS VUE or sling and enjoy life in the modern era. With VUE I have access to 15X more football games on saturday including every UNI game.

There was an Article about it in Sioux City Journal last year. I think it was Boyden Hull ?? or somewhere in northwest Iowa (Their team was in the final) that couldn't get the games. The cable provider reached out to NBCChiccago but it would cost them 1 Mil for a year. the cable provider said they couldn't justify that as they'd have to raise rates and asked about getting it for the weekend for 10/15/20 grand. no dice. yeah, it's all about the money.
So the few people in that area that didn't have dish or direct couldn't watch it?

Contact the IHSAA Board of Control representative for you area. Then
get ahold of some of the association's proud sponsors like the Iowa Farm Bureau or Fareway. For the most part, I don't believe the Boys in Boone
care what the average fan thinks.

This is crap. I have PlayStation Vue so I'm ok, but this is crap. Iowa Sports should be on local tv and not cost the Iowa residents a dime. Its bad enough that you cannot see 90% of the Iowa Football or Basketball games without cable. High School should be free for the state.

I wrote them and thanked them. Dish or direct tv are not the only way to watch it. Cut the cord and live in modern times. Dump the terrible mediacom TV picture and download PS VUE or sling and enjoy life in the modern era. With VUE I have access to 15X more football games on saturday including every UNI game.

Yeah I'm actually fine, am able to stream the games through friends' DirectTV account. But there are lots of older generation Iowans who maybe would like to watch a grandkid play but can't make it to Cedar Falls. They shouldn't have to deal with trying to figure out PS VUE or sling or adopting to your way of life in the modern era just to watch an Iowa HS football playoff game. But cool that you sent along your thanks.

I get it there might be some old timers who want to watch, but pretty sure their grandkids or their children would have access to it somehow If they wanted to watch.

You do realize that even on local IPTV that some residents in the state do not get that as well? Dish companies don't carry that or they give you another local tv network not IPTV.

Does anyone know the story behind the IHSAA's decision regarding NBCChicago and their internet coverage of state championships.

I had forgotten we were unable to watch the State Basketball Tournament last year and now we are missing the football games.
  • Did somebody in Boone get sold a bill of goods?
  • Is Al Beste some big city narcissist who doesn't care about those of us in small towns?
  • Is this all about the money and not the kids and fans?
Help me out here. I'm angry that the people who run our state athletic association would be so careless. As an Iowan, I'm extremely disappointed. I hope there were/are consequences for those who made this error.

Thank you for letting me rant. :( Hopefully my assumptions are incorrect.
Don't get me going.....They don't care about kids, it's the bottom line for them. They are missing leadership in that organization- Big Time.

Don't get me going.....They don't care about kids, it's the bottom line for them. They are missing leadership in that organization- Big Time.

Alan Beste cares about his salary, and if anyone thinks he has the kids best interest at heart, that's absolutely laughable. Alan Beste is a million miles from the vision of Bernie Saggau. Plus, there is no reason to have a Girls Union and a Boys Association in the state of Iowa! But, we couldn't get rid of half of those high priced administrative salaries now could we?

I live in Iowa, have regular Mediacom with no upgrades or packages, and got all the title games free on IHSSN and watched the championships. I don't understand why others couldn't get them if they have Mediacom.

I live in Iowa, have regular Mediacom with no upgrades or packages, and got all the title games free on IHSSN and watched the championships. I don't understand why others couldn't get them if they have Mediacom.

In some areas Mediacom subscribers get NBC Sports Chicago and can't get Fox Sports Midwest. In other areas they get Fox Sports Midwest and can't get NBC Sports Chicago.

Alan Beste cares about his salary, and if anyone thinks he has the kids best interest at heart, that's absolutely laughable. Alan Beste is a million miles from the vision of Bernie Saggau. Plus, there is no reason to have a Girls Union and a Boys Association in the state of Iowa! But, we couldn't get rid of half of those high priced administrative salaries now could we?

LOL Bernie Saggau created the fraud that is the IHSAA with his good ole boy act while he stuffed his pockets from Iowa high school sports. There are two associations because Saggau and Wayne Cooley both wanted to be in charge and get theirs, neither was going to be vice- president, so let's do this. And you good old Iowas fell for it hook and sinker. To the point these crooks are revered ! talk about fools.
Too bad the Des Moines Register dropped their investigation on the IHSAA scheme. They really had Bernie and the boys scrambling.

Reactions: amahawk
Does anyone know the story behind the IHSAA's decision regarding NBCChicago and their internet coverage of state championships.

I had forgotten we were unable to watch the State Basketball Tournament last year and now we are missing the football games.
  • Did somebody in Boone get sold a bill of goods?
  • Is Al Beste some big city narcissist who doesn't care about those of us in small towns?
  • Is this all about the money and not the kids and fans?
Help me out here. I'm angry that the people who run our state athletic association would be so careless. As an Iowan, I'm extremely disappointed. I hope there were/are consequences for those who made this error.

Thank you for letting me rant. :( Hopefully my assumptions are incorrect.

I agree 10000000000%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT