ADVERTISEMENT

Single most exciting play in Ferentz era

Most exciting single play in the Ferentz era?

• Tate to Holloway “All Up”

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • CJ Jones, C U Later

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Adrian Clayborn punt block, scoop, and score

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Trick or Treat Tyler Sash interception TD return

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Beathard to Smith in the B1G championship

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • Sash lateral to Hyde INT return for TD

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • DJK returns kickoff for TD at the Horseshoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dallas Clark TD vs Purdue on 4th down

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 7 got 6 vs Michigan State

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Amani Hooker pick 6 first play of game vs OSU

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
You’ll never see an Iowa team execute a play so flawlessly against such elite talent as The Catch. A perfect storm of mismanagement on Nick Saban’s (one of the best coaches in the history of the game) part, confusion from an NFL secondary, a perfect throw from a guy who never made the NFL in Drew Tate, and a catch from guy who wasn’t even a starter at the Big Ten level playing above himself when everything was on the line.

All the other plays listed involve future NFL players or were special teams plays losses. It’s got to be The Catch. Not even close.

Edit to add that while the catch was gutsy, secured a win against the defending national champs coached by a legend, and was a 100:1 shot, Hyde and Sash doing Harlem Globetrotters type stuff against the #5 team in the country was pretty freaking exciting. That would be my number two, though it didn’t mean as much in the scheme of things.

You view some of these plays differently now, but in the moment which single play was the most exciting?

I was there for 4 of them (The Catch, Sash to Hyde, Clark against PU, and Trick or Treat Iowa City). We were in the middle of the LSU section absolutely losing our minds after The Catch. That was pretty darned exciting until it dawned on us that we were flirting with an asswhooping and we broke camp!

At the moment of the Beathard to Smith TD, there was a legitimate belief we were going to the CFP, as undefeated B1G 10 champs. Without knowing what was to follow in the next 20 minutes, I don't believe anything was more exciting than that.

Last edited:
At the moment of the Beathard to Smith TD, there was a legitimate belief we were going to the CFP, as undefeated B1G 10 champs. Without knowing what was to follow in the next 20 minutes, I don't believe anything was more exciting than that.
This was my logic as well. Although there was so much hype going into the 2003 Orange Bowl that I remember going bananas after that play as well.

If your answer isn't the greatest play in the history of Iowa sports - winning a bowl game over the defending national champions on a last-second designed play to a player who hadn't scored a touchdown in his four year career at Iowa - I'm not sure you understand Iowa sports. CJB to Smith was huge, but we ended up losing that game. Tate-Holloway ended the game and made the first 9 months of 2005 GLORIOUS.

It almost has to be an offensive play as the Ferentz era would have to be described as defense first. The great defense and ST plays were almost the signature of the last 20 years. The offensive explosions have been rarities.

If your answer isn't the greatest play in the history of Iowa sports - winning a bowl game over the defending national champions on a last-second designed play to a player who hadn't scored a touchdown in his four year career at Iowa - I'm not sure you understand Iowa sports. CJB to Smith was huge, but we ended up losing that game. Tate-Holloway ended the game and made the first 9 months of 2005 GLORIOUS.
I think your dismissing too easily what Half full Hawk said, and believe me, most of us understand Iowa sports and our place in history. "The catch" was amazing, historic yes, but your not really saying that winning that game, meant more then if Iowa had won against MSU, are you? The fact that we didn't has nothing to do with the excitement of the play, which was the question. That stadium shook with the chants of I-O-W-A, I-O-W-A, and even the MSU fans thought we had taken that contest. You could see it in their faces. A 13-0 Iowa in the CFP would have placed Iowa in a different place historically.

If the Hawkeyes had hung on & won the Big10 Championship, I'd have voted for CJ to Tevaun, but I do think Tate to Holloway got the most Great Hawkeye Football coverage, nationally.

Reactions: Cougar63
I think your dismissing too easily what Half full Hawk said, and believe me, most of us understand Iowa sports and our place in history. "The catch" was amazing, historic yes, but your not really saying that winning that game, meant more then if Iowa had won against MSU, are you? The fact that we didn't has nothing to do with the excitement of the play, which was the question. That stadium shook with the chants of I-O-W-A, I-O-W-A, and even the MSU fans thought we had taken that contest. You could see it in their faces. A 13-0 Iowa in the CFP would have placed Iowa in a different place historically.
I was being a tad hyperbolic but ending the game and losing the game are what make the decision easy for me.

You’ll never see an Iowa team execute a play so flawlessly against such elite talent as The Catch. A perfect storm of mismanagement on Nick Saban’s (one of the best coaches in the history of the game) part, confusion from an NFL secondary, a perfect throw from a guy who never made the NFL in Drew Tate, and a catch from guy who wasn’t even a starter at the Big Ten level playing above himself when everything was on the line.

All the other plays listed involve future NFL players or were special teams plays losses. It’s got to be The Catch. Not even close.

Edit to add that while the catch was gutsy, secured a win against the defending national champs coached by a legend, and was a 100:1 shot, Hyde and Sash doing Harlem Globetrotters type stuff against the #5 team in the country was pretty freaking exciting. That would be my number two, though it didn’t mean as much in the scheme of things.

Was at the game as well, though in a sea of Iowa fans. Haven't hugged so many random people in my life.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Some incredible plays there and it's difficult to choose IMO. Tate to Holloway and CJ Jones' kickoff return? Beathard toss? Wow.

CJ Jones' play against USC got my vote based on "excitement" - We were absolutely bouncing off the walls and I don't remember going as crazy since.

For me personally:
1) CJ Jones
2) Beathard to Tevaun Smith
3) Holloway catch

There's at least one key play missing from the list of options: Micah Hyde's pick-6 late in the Insight Bowl. I'd put it ahead of most of the plays on that list.

I was too hammered to remember that one lol.

Im going with Beathard to Smith. It really felt like Iowa had a real shot to go to the playoffs. I know, there was still a ton of time left but With how the game was going, and how the defense played. And I know, it didn’t end the way we wanted.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Definitely Tate to Holloway. Was there, it was pure pandemonium. The shock of winning for us and seeing the shock in how LSU lost by looking at their fans reaction was priceless.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be there because watching video highlights even now gives me chills.

4376.jpg

(I did not design this :))

A side task - rate those 10 (or rank the Top 5 or 7).
1) Beathard to Smith
2) Tate to Holloway
3) CJ Jones, See You Later
4) 7 got 6
5) Sash to Hyde vs MSU
6) Dallas Clark beats Purdue
7) Clayborn punt block vs PSU
8) Trick or Treat Iowa City
9) DJK kickoff return is OSU
10) Hooker starts the INT party vs OSU

Tate to Holloway for sure. The last 2 minutes of the game was crazy! I thought, "We're gonna win! Oop crap, we're gonna loss. We won!!! Did that just happen?"

Reactions: HawkInArk
Hard to choose. Beathard to Smith was just an enormous play in a game that meant so much. That moment, until the frustrating conclusion of MSU's final drive, is as close to a NC that Iowa has had this century. (Nevermind the logistics in the playoff.)

But Tate to Halloway was a sign that magic still exists. They script movies like that.

First of all to the OP - this is a great list! Maybe some missing, but no list is perfect.

So many of them were thrilling, unexpected, important - it's hard to pick or rank. My family was there for "the catch", and it was incredible to be there.

AC blocked punt TD return against PSU at night, in the rain - incredible!

But, had to vote for the TD pass in the B1G championship, based on the importance. Oh, how close to the playoffs!

I don’t know, Tate to Holloway was awesome, I remember where I was when it happened. All of the others were fantastic as well.
I’d have to narrow it down to Beathard to Smith, which gave us the lead and a chance to win that game!! (If not for pass interference on Vandenberg when he had his defender beat and the guy held him, I think they win. Still think Ferentz should have called timeout on 4th down in defense to let them rest)
But I think 7 got 6, was my favorite. I glowed first a week after that catch. That entire 4th quarter was unbelievable, and the final drive leading to a 4th down with 2 seconds left, and Stanzi, having pretty much been inefficient all day, leads that drive and finishes with that throw.
It was unreal!!!!
Honestly, I’ll take them all!!!

Reactions: oldxbbc
It almost has to be an offensive play as the Ferentz era would have to be described as defense first. The great defense and ST plays were almost the signature of the last 20 years. The offensive explosions have been rarities.

That is a fabulous list of plays. Does it really matter how they're ranked? Every single one was amazing in its own right. "7 got 6" kept the Hawkeyes undefeated (9-0) and on the path toward a Big Ten title and national championship contention, all of which may have happened had Stanzi not been injured vs. NW.

I was there for The Catch, and it was everything you could ever hope for.

Beathard to Smith in the BIG championship game was one of the most exciting moments in all of Iowa football history--not just the KF era--given what was on the line.

But here's the thing: It occurred to me the other day that Iowa has lost of lot of gut-wrenching games under KF because the great Iowa defense--and it has been great--couldn't get a key stop in the final moments.

Off the top of my head:
* The fake punt game vs. Wisconsin (2010). Even after the successful fake, the Badgers were deep in Iowa territory and needed a TD to win. The defense couldn't hold, and Iowa lost a program-defining game on a last-minute TD.
* Also in 2010, Iowa led Ohio State @ Kinnick with less than 2 minutes to play but let OSU pick up a first down on 4th and 22 and go on to score the game-winning TD.
* The PSU night game @ Kinnick (2018). I was there as Iowa scored late to take the lead, only to have PSU march the length of the field and score a TD on the game's final play to steal the win. Again, the defense could not make the key play.
* The 2015 BIG championship game: After a brilliant defensive performance all night, Iowa punts and only needs to hold one more time to earn the Big Ten title and a spot in the CFP with a 13-0 record. Instead, MSU puts together its longest drive of the entire season--20 plays--and scores the game-winning TD with about 40 seconds to play.

Those are four (there are others) of the most disheartening losses in the KF--or any other--era. As great as the Iowa defense has consistently been, games like those, when the D failed in the biggest moments, tarnish that greatness.

Anyway, sorry about bringing that up, but like I said, I've just been thinking about those losses lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a fabulous list of plays. Does it really matter how they're ranked? Every single one was amazing in its own right. "7 got 6" kept the Hawkeyes undefeated (9-0) and on the path toward a Big Ten title and national championship contention, all of which may have happened had Stanzi not been injured vs. NW.

I was there for The Catch, and it was everything you could ever hope for.

Beathard to Smith in the BIG championship game was one of the most exciting moments in all of Iowa football history--not just the KF era--given what was on the line.

But here's the thing: It occurred to me the other day that Iowa has lost of lot of gut-wrenching games under KF because the great Iowa defense--and it has been great--couldn't get a key stop in the final moments.

Off the top of my head:
* The fake punt game vs. Wisconsin (2010). Even after the successful fake, the Badgers were deep in Iowa territory and needed a TD to win. The defense couldn't hold, and Iowa lost a program-defining game on a last-minute TD.
* Also in 2010, Iowa led Ohio State @ Kinnick with less than 2 minutes to play but let OSU pick up a first down on 4th and 22 and go on to score the game-winning TD.
* The PSU night game @ Kinnick (2018). I was there as Iowa scored late to take the lead, only to have PSU march the length of the field and score a TD on the game's final play to steal the win. Again, the defense could not make the key play.
* The 2015 BIG championship game: After a brilliant defensive performance all night, Iowa punts and only needs to hold one more time to earn the Big Ten title and a spot in the CFP with a 13-0 record. Instead, MSU puts together its longest drive of the entire season--20 plays--and scores the game-winning TD with about 40 seconds to play.

Those are four (there are others) of the most disheartening losses in the KF--or any other--era. As great as the Iowa defense has consistently been, games like those, when the D failed in the biggest moments, tarnish that greatness.

Anyway, sorry about bringing that up, but like I said, I've just thinking about those losses lately.

:(

This!

The thread is about the "Ferentz era" but the earliest play is from 2002. I'd actually submit two that meant more than a couple of those listed.

2000 - Kahlil Hill's 90 yard kick return against Michigan State (2:47 mark) which got us back into the game in Kirk's first Big Ten win. Kevin Kasper also took a jailbreak screen about 40 yards for a TD and Bob Sanders made a name for himself that day destroying MSU's kick returner, but I'm partial to an electric kick return, myself.

I'd also say Ladell Betts' touchdown (8:25 mark) to force a second OT at PSU in 2000 (KF's first conference road win) was pretty damned exciting in those days when our offense was so tentative. People Magazine's sexiest athlete Ryan Hansen intercepted Rashard Casey (9:43) to seal the deal, which I remember jumping off my couch in celebration as a college freshman over.

These plays were pretty damned important as they showed that Iowa football was turning the corner and on the right track.

Clayborn’s block/scoop and score. That game is my favorite Iowa win ever. A close second for most exiting would be CJB to Smith. The outcome of the game didn’t turn out the way we wanted, but being in the stadium for that moment was euphoria.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any of them in person. All on TV and my reaction has been varied from absolute screaming to utter shock.

If Claiborn’s block, scoop, TD happened in Kinnick, that might have been it.

Otherwise, I think it is the catch.

But one that I haven’t seen mentioned yet that is a good candidate is Dallas Clark against Purdue 2002 pt 1, the 95 yard TD. 5 yard catch, 90 yard run by a tight end outrunning the entire defense down the sideline. The game winner in the end wouldn’t have happened without that one first.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Not sure that it belongs on the list, but Koehn's 57 yd FG vs. Pittsburgh in 2015 was pretty exciting to watch in person. I was on the visitors side very close to the 50 yards line at the very top of the stadium. After I saw the first attempt fall well short, I thought there is no way they can let him try again. My mouth literally fell open when I saw that ball sail through the air and the uprights moments later.

The Syracuse goal line stand isn't one play but is one of the most amazing series of events I have ever seen in sports.

For me, it is right behind Tate to Holloway

Hyde's pick six vs Missouri should be on the list

As should Koehns 57 yard FG

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT