ADVERTISEMENT

Single payer is awesome

“The NHS figures show 25,475 operations cancelled on the day they were due to happen between January and March of this year. The quarterly figure is the highest since quarterly records began in 1994.“

yikes

I lived there and while my international insurance insulated me a bit from the horrors of their system, my co-workers and employees had nothing good to say about it beyond "it's free."

We don't watch that, if you think it's better than what we have, you're ignorant/uninformed.

My favorite American healthcare success story is when the kid who saved a bunch of his classmates in Parkland but was shot 5 times had to start a gofundme to help pay his medical bills. USA! USA! USA!

why didn't he have health insurance? seems rather irresponsible of his parents. i also thought Obamacare would cover circumstances like this? what happened there? seems like you are misdirecting blame due to a political agenda.

Reactions: GobysHawk
You guys can yell and scream all you wish, but two questions have to eventually be addressed:

1) Is healthcare a right or a privilege?

2) Should anybody be allowed to earn a profit healthcaring?

Reactions: Tom Paris
why didn't he have health insurance? seems rather irresponsible of his parents. i also thought Obamacare would cover circumstances like this? what happened there? seems like you are misdirecting blame due to a political agenda.

If only a mandate were in place to ensure irresponsible dead-beats pay in to the system...

You guys can yell and scream all you wish, but two questions have to eventually be addressed:

I'm a firm believer that healthcare is a right.

I also believe that healthcare organizations, insurance companies, should have the opportunity to be profitable businesses.

I do not believe, however, that they should have the right to deny coverage as the linked article shows.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/d...to-the-top-at-insurer-unitedhealth-2018-05-13

I said our country doesn’t have those problems to the extent Britain does, and they linked a story with a single problem, hense my response
And that response was brilliant. Truly.

I don't understand why this was a bad thing. The American people stepped up to help support him and his family. Does he not have insurance?

My insurance is with GoFundMe! And it's awesome! *

27773194_15205064550_r.jpg

* Results depicted here do not necessarily reflect the usual outcome. If you want your health costs covered by GoFundMe make sure your illness/injury is the result of heroic actions and receives nationwide coverage.

Did the op listen to npr this am and catch the Kaiser News story about the lady who had her insurance decline her surgery bill because she was on-patient instead of out patient? Her bill came out to $115,000 for some arthritis surgery. Part of that was $15,000 for 5 screws used in her foot. No, they were not made out of some rare earth elements.

Yeah, our system is great. She would have gone bankrupt if she didn’t call the news and shame them into covering her.

Doesn’t say.

OK so they could be 25,000 plastic surgeries. I'd argue the one i posted is way more important than that.

But it does say their condition deteriorated. Which is a term we don’t use in the United States if it is elective surgery

Missed the key word there, "COULD." Man I hope you read charts with more attention to detail

1.) privilege, of course. healthcare is a service. i do not have a right to other human's services.

2.) my personal feelings is that no healthcare should be not for profit. 'healthcaring' as you call it should be an altruistic endeavor. with exceptions made for clearly elective surgeries.

now how do we go about this? our current system is fraught with greed from the hospitals to the insurance companies and everyone in between.

I also believe that healthcare organizations, insurance companies, should have the opportunity to be profitable businesses.

I do not believe, however, that they should have the right to deny coverage as the linked article shows.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/d...to-the-top-at-insurer-unitedhealth-2018-05-13

you have a right to force other human beings to work for you?

what gave you that right? egotistical in the extreme.

Did the op listen to npr this am and catch the Kaiser News story about the lady who had her insurance decline her surgery bill because she was on-patient instead of out patient? Her bill came out to $115,000 for some arthritis surgery. Part of that was $15,000 for 5 screws used in her foot. No, they were not made out of some rare earth elements.

Yeah, our system is great. She would have gone bankrupt if she didn’t call the news and shame them into covering her.

This is the issue with these "for-profit" models. Or at least I assume this was a for-profit endeavor?

I've seen a chart before that shows the administrative employees that are on the healthcare gravy train. People often "blame" doctors, and I'm sure they deserve some blame, but the real issue is the amount of administrative heads that all need salary/benefits.

And then there's the total side issue where the provider and the customer never actually talk about cost or whether it is worth that extra scan, test, etc.

You of all people should know that healthcare cannot be a "right."

That suggests that everyone has a "right" to your time, as a healthcare professional. Obviously, you can't treat everyone, you're entitled to your own time as well, so you'll be forced to turn many away.

And should patients have a right to whatever treatment they want? Why or why not? And who decides?

In every other area of our life, the demand for a limited resource is regulated by price. If you can afford it, you can get it; if not, you can't.

Trying to make healthcare violate this basic economic law is a fool's errand.

Without the profit motive, we would not have the medical advances that we enjoy today.

That suggests that everyone has a "right" to your time, as a healthcare professional. Obviously, you can't treat everyone, you're entitled to your own time as well, so you'll be forced to turn many away.

And should patients have a right to whatever treatment they want? Why or why not? And who decides?

In every other area of our life, the demand for a limited resource is regulated by price. If you can afford it, you can get it; if not, you can't.

It’s a right that all people should be treated with dignity, and caring for those in need are what contributes to a moral and just society. I do not believe people less well off than others should be denied adequate health care.

The company our district uses denies claims consistently. My kid broke her leg playing soccer, had surgery, and the insurance company denied the claim. WHAT DO WE PAY THEM FOR?? The whole system is jacked up.

Fine. I want what our tax dollars pay for Congress to have. That's all.

Our system has its problems for sure but not to the extent single payer has

i know you work in the health industry so im curious, how many people are turned down for life saving procedures?

I honestly didn’t see it , when working emergency and trauma we took care of everything

Reactions: dgordo
OK so they could be 25,000 plastic surgeries. I'd argue the one i posted is way more important than that.

Missed the key word there, "COULD." Man I hope you read charts with more attention to detail

Hmmmm don’t see could in this paragraph

The Royal College of Surgeons said the situation had become “unacceptable,” with too many people left to suffer in pain or while their condition deteriorated

Maybe you should pay more attention

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT