ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking and Foodie Thread!

Lakewood Ranch. Next to Sarasota & Bradenton
Where are you at TopHawk?
We had to spend a lot of time in Sarasota recently while my FIL was undergoing cancer treatment. We really liked the pizza at this place: http://goodfellassarasota.com/

84Y1iG.jpg

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
If one thing has been learned from this thread it is this:

A sad number of you grew up in areas lacking a Casey's or hometown pizza place.

That is the only reason I can even remotely come up with to make any case for Pizza Ranch, Godfather's, etc. being good.
I learned that there are several here that just won't settle for crappy to mediocre pizza like Casey's, Pizza Hut, Godfathers, Pizza Ranch, ect. Plus, some of us won't settle for even the next level of pizza up from Casey's, the independent places that have decent pies. Some of us just demand more. :D

In Phoenix area I prefer Freddy's burgers and hot dogs to In and Out or 5 guys

Like my pizza.
Liked Happy Joes, Giordano's (too bad they left IC)

Reactions: EasyHawk
The best pizza in NE Iowa is Mabe’s in Decorah. The second best is OP pizza. Hands down…..and an argument could be made that OP is better than Mabe’s. We used to go get Mabe‘s during Deer Season……Was great on a cold December evening after trudging around the hills of NE Iowa all day!

The best pizza in NE Iowa is Mabe’s in Decorah. The second best is OP pizza. Hands down…..and an argument could be made that OP is better than Mabe’s. We used to go get Mabe‘s during Deer Season……Was great on a cold December evening after trudging around the hills of NE Iowa all day!
Didn't think Mabes lived up to the hype at all and OP pizza is bad unless you get it rolled thin and well done, at least at the Clear Lake location.

Didn't think Mabes lived up to the hype at all and OP pizza is bad unless you get it rolled thin and well done, at least at the Clear Lake location.
You just have to know people Derek! Little extra cheese, cook it longer, mmmmmmmmmm

I love the grinder…….not sure it loves me anymore.

I’m getting to experience it again in about 3 weeks. Will go down to the new CF Main Street location and the wife and I will see our good friend Amy….who introduced us in a round about way…..and enjoy some good pizza!

Reactions: Derekd3408
I unironically love this thread was bumped after 6 years to discuss pizza.
Yeah, I didn’t me to. Stumbled on to it after looking at the Asa Newsome thread. Started reading it, never looked at the title…..thought a couple times “we have more food threads than any Rivals site”. Then I saw a post I made, and I started thinking I was losing my mind……..

Then I noticed the dates. So…..what the hell?! May as well resuscitate one that Loungers seem to like discussing.

Yeah, I didn’t me to. Stumbled on to it after looking at the Asa Newsome thread. Started reading it, never looked at the title…..thought a couple times “we have more food threads than any Rivals site”. Then I saw a post I made, and I started thinking I was losing my mind……..

Then I noticed the dates. So…..what the hell?! May as well resuscitate one that Loungers seem to like discussing.
Must be pre-ordained. We are up in Decorah tonight and just had Mabes pizza six hours ago. My wife and I were discussing whether it would live up to the hype. Afterwards we both agreed that it absolutely did. Delicious pizza.

You just have to know people Derek! Little extra cheese, cook it longer, mmmmmmmmmm

I love the grinder…….not sure it loves me anymore.

I’m getting to experience it again in about 3 weeks. Will go down to the new CF Main Street location and the wife and I will see our good friend Amy….who introduced us in a round about way…..and enjoy some good pizza!
New place is definitely a different vibe than other locations. Also had some staff kinks to work out, as several young waitresses were too busy talking to bother helping customers until an older staff member alerted them.

Hopefully it will be better for you

Also, I'm apparently 38 going on 80, so now I'm gonna go look for some kids to tell to get off my lawn

Reactions: Mike Zierath

oh-sure-john-candy.gif

john-candy-dui.gif

When we went to Boston we got Pizza at 2-3 different places and I would say that it was overpriced and underwhelming. Caseys killed it in my opinion. I am not saying Caseys is the best around but that Boston stuff wasn't good.

When we went to Boston we got Pizza at 2-3 different places and I would say that it was overpriced and underwhelming. Caseys killed it in my opinion. I am not saying Caseys is the best around but that Boston stuff wasn't good.
You were to far north. Pepe’s pizza in New Haven, CT is the best. my CT friends swear it is the best pizza and I’m tired of hearing it 😜

I don’t live in Iowa anymore but when visiting my children always want a Happy Joe’s taco pizza. I still prefer Pagliai’s Pizza and put some anchovies on it 😋

How was the brisket the other day?

You were to far north. Pepe’s pizza in New Haven, CT is the best. my CT friends swear it is the best pizza and I’m tired of hearing it 😜

I don’t live in Iowa anymore but when visiting my children always want a Happy Joe’s taco pizza. I still prefer Pagliai’s Pizza and put some anchovies on it 😋
Frank Pepe’s really is terrific. Had one after seeing a Yale football game in the early 90’s. Took my wife on our way to Cape Cod for our 30th a few years ago.

Frank Pepe’s

Do you mean Frank Pepe's?

Anybody remember Justino's in Mason City? It was excellent-first time I'd ever had anchovies on pizza. And I'm a little surprised Zeno's in Marshalltown doesn't get more love

Happy Joes (Dubuque) gets my vote!

Best damn brisket I have ever had! Cut it with a fork, yet didn’t just fall apart! So easy with the cooking method used! Will never do it any other way!

Nice! Saw you used an offset. I did one a couple weeks ago on my pellet. Ive made many before, but ive noticed increasing the rest times can make for some insanely good brisket. Im talking like 6-8 hours.

Nice! Saw you used an offset. I did one a couple weeks ago on my pellet. Ive made many before, but ive noticed increasing the rest times can make for some insanely good brisket. Im talking like 6-8 hours.
Did you see my new cooking method write up in the other thread?

it raised my eyebrows a little, but followed it to a T and it was wonderful. Including letting it rest. Mine was like 1.5 hours. I don’t think letting it go longer would be that big a deal. Mrs. Z whines about it not being “hot”. Mine came out of the rest period too hot to touch with my bare hand! So apparently, as long as you leave it tightly sealed, in the tin, resting in its own juices, it isn’t a big deal.

pork butt is next. Unless I slip a rack of ribs in there somewhere! We eat good at my house!

what I really want to try is maki g a really good homemade pizza. I know it is all about the crust and the sauce….been researching the best methods!

Reactions: hawkhead87

it raised my eyebrows a little, but followed it to a T and it was wonderful. Including letting it rest. Mine was like 1.5 hours. I don’t think letting it go longer would be that big a deal. Mrs. Z whines about it not being “hot”. Mine came out of the rest period too hot to touch with my bare hand! So apparently, as long as you leave it tightly sealed, in the tin, resting in its own juices, it isn’t a big deal.

pork butt is next. Unless I slip a rack of ribs in there somewhere! We eat good at my house!

what I really want to try is maki g a really good homemade pizza. I know it is all about the crust and the sauce….been researching the best methods!
I enjoy a good information dump about cooking and smoking, but it being in a 6 year old Oliver Martin thread is going to make some people really mad. I personally think finally interesting information in this thread rather than some really bad takes from years ago.

Yeah, I wrap it in a towel (after its been in a butcher paper wrap) and throw it in a cooler. Keeps it warm for a long, long time.

Definitely smoke some pizza!

I enjoy a good information dump about cooking and smoking, but it being in a 6 year old Oliver Martin thread is going to make some people really mad. I personally think finally interesting information in this thread rather than some really bad takes from years ago.
I can change the title and edit out the OM stuff. What was there, like 2 items?

I did a pulled pork about a month ago that got done way early. I've never gone more than 7 hours resting and this one arrested for 12 hours. Was unbelievably good. I'm convinced you can't let them rest too long. Just put it in a cooler with a blanket or towel over it and it just stays hot and just keeps getting more tender.

What kind of pellet do you have? I have a pit boss that I'm convinced is every bit as good as the traeger just not as expensive. I have yet to cook a brisket on that though but I've only had it a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT