ADVERTISEMENT

So according to “local news” small town Iowans complaining “Where’s the Government?”

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Storms this past week have done substantial (FLOOD) damage to a small town in central Iowa (Lynnville), located in Jasper County….(maybe Poweshiek)….Local news had a story this evening about their respondents wanting to know where their government help is? The damage occurred Tuesday, I believe. The county really has no money for them and the Governor has her own issues in western Iowa from a tornado earlier in the week. The flooding is substantial, too.

Isn’t this what politicians are for? Where is the Governor (Reynolds)? Where is the Congressman (either Nunn or Miller-Meeks)? That is where the federal/state $$ comes from….that is “the government”! Don’t piss and moan to the local news! Piss and moan to your local politicians who have the keys to assistance! The money is there…but you have to go through the process to get the money coming your way!

Get the ball rolling….the news folks cant do a thing for you…..that’s what your politicians are to do…that is there #1 job…to assist and aid their constituents.
Ironic ain’t it….in good ol’ Red Ioway, where there’s too much government to begin with..,..Red Ioway is obviously a home to Bill Cohen’s Law, that states “the government is your enemy until you need a friend.”

Storms this past week have done substantial (FLOOD) damage to a small town in central Iowa (Lynnville), located in Jasper County….(maybe Poweshiek)….Local news had a story this evening about their respondents wanting to know where their government help is? The damage occurred Tuesday, I believe. The county really has no money for them and the Governor has her own issues in western Iowa from a tornado earlier in the week. The flooding is substantial, too.

Isn’t this what politicians are for? Where is the Governor (Reynolds)? Where is the Congressman (either Nunn or Miller-Meeks)? That is where the federal/state $$ comes from….that is “the government”! Don’t piss and moan to the local news! Piss and moan to your local politicians who have the keys to assistance! The money is there…but you have to go through the process to get the money coming your way!

Get the ball rolling….the news folks cant do a thing for you…..that’s what your politicians are to do…that is there #1 job…to assist and aid their constituents.
Ironic ain’t it….in good ol’ Red Ioway, where there’s too much government to begin with..,..Red Ioway is obviously a home to Bill Cohen’s Law, that states “the government is your enemy until you need a friend.”

Politicians? No.

The agencies charged with emergency management are responsible.

Lynnville is located in Jasper County. Gov Reynolds declared Jasper County a disaster area. Pleas eread the below, and you chuckleheads need to get a life.

https://governor.iowa.gov/press-release/2024-05-21/proclamation-disaster-emergency

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Lynnville is located in Jasper County. Gov Reynolds declared Jasper County a disaster area. Pleas eread the below, and you chuckleheads need to get a life.

https://governor.iowa.gov/press-release/2024-05-21/proclamation-disaster-emergency
Before referring to me as “chucklehead” ICWest……this disaster request fron Reynolds was for TORNADO damage don e earlier in the week in Jasper County……the “flood damage” in Lynnville spurring this “local news report” was a separate event on a different date, I believe…..check it out. ;)

Reactions: TheCainer
Politicians? No.

The agencies charged with emergency management are responsible.
Not in this case Northern…….the Feds need an invitation…..Politicians and government officials (mayors, governors, Congressmen) MAKE the official requests for emergency aid….

I remember Tom Vilsack talking about the #1 piece of advice he received before taking office as Governor was from the Gov of Georgia (a Republican) who told him the most important program he needed to have in place when he took office was his disaster plan…..Politics and programs are subject to change, he told Vilsack, but he guaranteed Vilsack sometime in his time in office, he would have an emergency that would require immediate action…and those people will DEMAND immediate help…..

Dood....no one want to pay more taxes for this moar Gubmint stuff!!!

Bootstraps!!!!

• Love
Reactions: TheCainer
When you put local news in " ", what does it mean? That it's NOT local news?

That 2 people said it at the local bar so it's worth bringing to HROT as news? (FTR that would be totally legit by HROT standards and we should all understand that).

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf

Seems like Jasper county EMA issued the emergency declaration.

State of Iowa perhaps has not yet acted...???

Originally, Robinson was planning on taking a vacation around the time the storms hit. But then his phone blew up around 6 a.m. with reports of widespread flooding. The emergency operations center was opened to begin coordinating response efforts. He also convinced the county to issue a disaster declaration.

The declaration was enacted that very morning and it noted that numerous secondary roads, highways and thoroughfares had become inundated with water, rendering travel challenging or impossible for many commuters. Extensive saturation of infrastructure in areas also raised concerns about health and safety.

Jasper County even issued a travel advisory. By declaring a disaster so early, the county was authorized to mobilize emergency funds from all available resources, activate mutual aid agreements and seek assistance from the State of Iowa. EMA is now asking residents to fill out property damage reports.

Forms can be filled out by visiting Jasper County EMA’s Facebook page or by visiting https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/f4c4f10102874f489cbd5d5ade8f7e5f.

“The state wants numbers and wants to know who was affected,” Robinson said. “Of course that could open the door for other assistance. I did request the individual assistance from the state yesterday that was opened up … You can use that for food assistance, housing assistance, damage repairs.”

She has almost $2B sitting in reserves from the Covid assistance sent to her by the Feds…..
Now Mississippi North needs that money to pay the civil judgments coming up regarding the illegal search gambling probe.

Good times with Republicans in control.

Not in this case Northern…….the Feds need an invitation…..Politicians and government officials (mayors, governors, Congressmen) MAKE the official requests for emergency aid….

I remember Tom Vilsack talking about the #1 piece of advice he received before taking office as Governor was from the Gov of Georgia (a Republican) who told him the most important program he needed to have in place when he took office was his disaster plan…..Politics and programs are subject to change, he told Vilsack, but he guaranteed Vilsack sometime in his time in office, he would have an emergency that would require immediate action…and those people will DEMAND immediate help…..
It's a shame that one has to explain something this simple to the average, or even the below average, citizen.

Maybe basic Civics classes should be emphasized more in our (privately funded) schools?

If “Jeff” lives out in the country and his place gets blown over by a tornado, should the government help him?

If 30 houses in a town get blown over should the government help them?

I see no damn difference. Jeff certainly sees no difference. His house was lost just like those other 30.

It’s called insurance. It’s Not the government’s job if you ask me.

If “Jeff” lives out in the country and his place gets blown over by a tornado, should the government help him?

I see no damn difference. Jeff certainly sees no difference. His house was lost just like those other 30.

So whys the government always bailing out farmers? Or banks?

Reactions: GOHOX69

What happens when the insurance industry either refuses to make their clients whole or the insurance market dries up because the rate of disasters exceeds their ability to do buisness as they prefer?

What happens when the insurance industry either refuses to make their clients whole or the insurance market dries up because the rate of disasters exceeds their ability to do buisness as they prefer?
in Texas there is talk of the insurance companies pulling out and refusing to write it due to losses from hurricanes and floods and hail and yes we have tornados.

this is when and how the fed fema flood insurance comes into existence

I suppose a fema windstorm ins. fund could happen?

in Texas there is talk of the insurance companies pulling out and refusing to write it due to losses from hurricanes and floods and hail and yes we have tornados.

Not according to the opinion of @HawkMachine

Insurance is an entirely different function from emergency assistance in a crisis.

Are you so fundamentally misled that you do not understand this point?
If I understand the situation in Kellogg correctly, the problem is that the flooded houses were largely not in a flood zone according to the official flood maps. Thus, the homeowners could not have purchased flood insurance. I will not fault someone for failing to have insurance when it is not actually available.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
If I understand the situation in Kellogg correctly, the problem is that the flooded houses were largely not in a flood zone according to the official flood maps. Thus, the homeowners could not have purchased flood insurance. I will not fault someone for failing to have insurance when it is not actually available.
isn't the fema fed stuff available?

The feds should tell Governor wheels to roll his chair into the Rio Grande.

Document

Link

Old folks pay for their Medicare James…payroll when working and monthly when collecting..
I pay $200/month…for my MediCare…plus another premium for my supplemental….I contribute more than Big Oil! :rolleyes:
I don't pay anything for Medicare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT